Murkowski considering leaving the GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:19:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Murkowski considering leaving the GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Murkowski considering leaving the GOP  (Read 1198 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2024, 11:38:12 AM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 12:22:50 PM »

All anti-Trump members of Congress should just switch to being Democratic, or at least Democratic-caucusing Independents.

There is no future for them in the Republican Party. As Democrats they can form a new Centrist Caucus with some of the existing Democrats and hold a bit of leverage when they make the different in who is in control.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 12:29:19 PM »

I think she might become an independent but still caucus with reps (like Sanders does with the Dems), so not much change.

All anti-Trump members of Congress should just switch to being Democratic, or at least Democratic-caucusing Independents.

There is no future for them in the Republican Party. As Democrats they can form a new Centrist Caucus with some of the existing Democrats and hold a bit of leverage when they make the different in who is in control.

Would she keep her seniority if she defects to democrats?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 12:38:43 PM »

I think she might become an independent but still caucus with reps (like Sanders does with the Dems), so not much change.

I'm sure Schumer would allow it if that's what it takes to make the flip happen. Same for Collins, Romney, and Cassidy.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 12:40:10 PM »

I'm sure Schumer would allow it if that's what it takes to make the flip happen. Same for Collins, Romney, and Cassidy.

Romney’s retiring.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 01:16:59 PM »

Yawn. Talk to me when she actually pulls the trigger. Until that day comes, I'm not buying it.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 01:34:01 PM »

Most I could see her doing right now is pulling a Sinema and doing an R-caucusing Independent.

We'll see what happens in the 2024 election, but there could be certain scenarios where a real deal could be on the table for her to switch to caucusing with Dems (or some "anti-Trump coalition") in exchange for certain policy concessions.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 01:39:11 PM »

Romney’s retiring.

He's not retired yet though. I think this party flip should happen today.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 01:42:00 PM »

Most I could see her doing right now is pulling a Sinema and doing an R-caucusing Independent.

We'll see what happens in the 2024 election, but there could be certain scenarios where a real deal could be on the table for her to switch to caucusing with Dems (or some "anti-Trump coalition") in exchange for certain policy concessions.

Murkowski (and Collins) could at least be a reverse Manchinema where she could block Trump’s most brazen plans while still allowing more mainstream GOP stuff to go through, while of course holding the line on the far-left as well. Probably should recruit someone else to join them, maybe Bill Cassidy or Jim Justice or John Curtis?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 01:42:39 PM »

Oldie but goodie:

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 02:51:45 PM »

Yawn. Talk to me when she actually pulls the trigger. Until that day comes, I'm not buying it.

Yeah, same. At least I would wonder why now or what was the final straw? Mitch leaving leadership, with whom she still had a good personal relationship? It would have made more sense after her reelection in 2022 or even after January 6.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 04:01:46 PM »

Yeah, same. At least I would wonder why now or what was the final straw? Mitch leaving leadership, with whom she still had a good personal relationship? It would have made more sense after her reelection in 2022 or even after January 6.

Trump clinching the nomination as well as a Trumpier RNC perhaps?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 05:10:04 PM »

Awful lot of threats from Murkowski and, to a lesser extent, Collins. Yet no actual action. Almost like they do these things for attention.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2024, 06:46:12 PM »

Maybe she'll make up her mind after November. Not much point defecting if Republicans have a comfortable majority, but if she would be in the majority with Schumer (or even if she can get him from 49 to 50) that makes it a lot more appealing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2024, 06:47:28 PM »

The S will be key she will switch if Ds get the Filibuster proof Trifecta she said she will vote for John Lewis voting rights

If ars hold onto the H she will stay an R
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2024, 07:54:21 PM »

Yeah right.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2024, 09:54:37 PM »

We don't want her!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 06:03:01 PM »

Awful lot of threats from Murkowski and, to a lesser extent, Collins. Yet no actual action. Almost like they do these things for attention.
Exactly. I'll believe it when I see it.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2024, 06:03:58 PM »

Now, now, remember that we're the big tent.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2024, 06:06:18 PM »

She's only going to do it if Ds secure the Filibuster proof Trifecta and we are almost there
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 09:45:06 AM »

We ought to have a "no opportunists" sign on our tent.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 10:05:30 AM »

Read between the lines.  She's very obviously saying she's not going to leave the GOP.

The idea that all "anti-Trump" Republicans should leave the GOP is fanciful.  The likes of Murkowski and Collins know what they're doing; they're both conservatives on issues that matter to their states (i.e., energy, conservation, fishing, etc.)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 10:46:18 AM »

Seems like this is nothing but noise. If she really wanted this, she had multiple chances, especially after the 2022 election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 11:05:34 AM »

She would only do this if Ds netted the Filibuster proof Trifecta and we are on the verge of it all we need is 218 in H a 51/50 DS and Brown and Tester are winning and TX and FL and NEB S are vulnerable

She made it very clear she was supportive of John Lewis voting rights
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2024, 10:39:15 PM »

It would make more sense if she were to wait and see if the GOP can win the Senate. If they do, then she would have extraordinary leverage.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies