Biden campaign goes all in on Puerto Rico + its voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:17:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Biden campaign goes all in on Puerto Rico + its voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden campaign goes all in on Puerto Rico + its voters  (Read 413 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2024, 12:09:37 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 02:05:49 PM »

Puerto Rico voted to become a state. It should be a state, just like the other 37 states who joined after the original 13.

I don't know how they'll vote and I don't care. They could be as red as West Virginia and they still deserve to be a state.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 02:13:47 PM »

Puerto Rico voted to become a state. It should be a state, just like the other 37 states who joined after the original 13.

I don't know how they'll vote and I don't care. They could be as red as West Virginia and they still deserve to be a state.
I lean against PR statehood but I'm fine with it if it means no DC statehood. But it's a deeper issue.

I don't know why we need statehood. I'm fine with giving it 6 EV like we do with DC, and also give both of them a voting Representative via constitutional amendment.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 02:28:57 PM »

I lean against PR statehood but I'm fine with it if it means no DC statehood. But it's a deeper issue.

I don't know why we need statehood. I'm fine with giving it 6 EV like we do with DC, and also give both of them a voting Representative via constitutional amendment.

Why don't those Americans living in DC and PR deserve the same type of representation that Americans living in the 50 existing states have?

37 times we've allowed a territory to be upgraded to a state upon request (OK, there are a few technicalities, but you get the point). Why would DC and PR be any different? Why can't they just have the same opportunities that the rest of America has had?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 06:04:51 PM »

Why don't those Americans living in DC and PR deserve the same type of representation that Americans living in the 50 existing states have?

37 times we've allowed a territory to be upgraded to a state upon request (OK, there are a few technicalities, but you get the point). Why would DC and PR be any different? Why can't they just have the same opportunities that the rest of America has had?

DC I still understand what with the special circumstance of being the federal capital and all...the whole point of DC's location is that it did not fall in any one state. Political leanings aside, there's a nonpartisan argument to be made against DC statehood.

PR, though, falls flat. It deserves to be a state every bit as much as HI and AK (and maybe when it does more attention will be paid when hurricanes strike).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 06:06:15 PM »

Because "the rest of America" has not been entitled to the "same opportunities." California only gets two senators despite having a population of 40 million people. Until that historical injustice is rectified, we can't keep adding tiny states that will inevitably resist any attempt to reform the Senate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 06:10:37 PM »

Correction: I'm afraid these places wouldn't elect Republicans so they shouldn't be states.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 06:14:32 PM »

SCOTUS has to rule on Statehood and I think they won't let Ds get both but get only 1 which is DC Statehood but we don't have the Filibuster proof Trifecta yet, so the issue is moot until 25
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies