Opinion of the 1979 film Jesus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:19:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of the 1979 film Jesus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF (christian)

HF (christian)

FF (non christian)

HF (non christian)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 2

Author Topic: Opinion of the 1979 film Jesus  (Read 230 times)
wnwnwn
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2024, 11:45:32 AM »
« edited: April 16, 2024, 01:20:37 AM by wnwnwn »

Probably the most famous Jesus film. In my country it's named "La Vida Pública de Jesus". Most of its actors were jewish, but the protagonist was the gentile british actor Brian Deacon. I like the film, probably because of the source (the gospels are always a fun read).

Your throughs?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 12:59:26 AM »

Probably the most famous Jesus film. In my country it's named "La Vida Pública de Jesus". Most of its actors were jewish, but the protagonist was the gentile british actor John Deacon. I like the film, probably because of the source (the gospels are always a fun read).

Your throughs?

Brian Deacon. John Deacon was the bassist for Queen (he also wrote most of their more famous songs).

I found it painfully boring, to be quite honest. Yes, they certainly went out of their way to be as authentic to the story as possible, but it's like the film equivalent of eating a saltine cracker with tap water. Yes, it's food and better than starving to death, but there's no pleasure in the experience of eating it. One might as well just read the Book of Luke, and you'd get the same experience. There was nothing added to it at all.

The Ten Commandments may not have followed the Book of Exodus that closely, but goddamn, did it do its job as a spectacle and film. It told the story, gave us characters we should care about, and certainly tried its best not to be boring.

This film doesn't do that. It's zealous about keeping the story straight, but since that's all they seemed to care about, why do we need a film, when the book would suffice? A movie should have something to say (even if it's just "Jesus was far out, man") and a reason to be (something that we can't get from just reading the source material). This doesn't.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies