Posters becoming politicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 04:59:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Posters becoming politicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Posters becoming politicans  (Read 17139 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2004, 02:16:27 AM »

As someone who used to be involved in politics for real, I think I have some pretty good insight into this question. While I have not met you guys in person, based on what I've read on this forum in terms of substance AND style, there are very, very few people who actually have a chance to be elected to significant political office.

On the forum, one person stands out above the rest as a guy with a very, very real future in politics based on his intelligence, demeanor, and the substance AND style of his arguments. More on him at the end...

But guys who COULD have a future from what I see include Supersoulty and PBrunsel on the Republican side, and Ben and Nym90 on the Democratic side. As for the European contingent, both Gustaf and JFK could also be on that track. But all of these people mentioned have limitations which could hinder their chances...

The only surefire politician on this forum...if he wants it...is John Ford.

Wow, thanks. What do you think my strengths/weaknesses are? Thanks in advance.

Nym,

Even though I wouldn't vote for you. I agree you would make a good politician.

BTW, The bet is over!!
MarkDel

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2004, 02:17:09 AM »

States,

I did not realize that. The "preppy" thing would help you immensely when it came time to get support from party leaders and donations from the people who write the checks. That said, you might indeed have a real chance in that part of Polk County...what's the recent Hispanic Immigration like there? Is it changing the demographics of the county over the long haul?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2004, 02:22:07 AM »

States,

I did not realize that. The "preppy" thing would help you immensely when it came time to get support from party leaders and donations from the people who write the checks. That said, you might indeed have a real chance in that part of Polk County...what's the recent Hispanic Immigration like there? Is it changing the demographics of the county over the long haul?

Hispanics are moving in. But I wouldn't say it's a flood but its a rural farming community where I live as you may already know. The Democrats are almost "unheard" around here. Its a battle of the most right conservative. And yes I do wear a lot of khakis and such as long as jeans and such..I mix and match. I was voted most likely to become a politician in H.S. for whatever that means. Wink My wife says I'd make a d*mn good representative so maybe she may be on to something. I really really want to hold a position. Not just some passing desire but a burning passion in my gut (I know it sounds weird) to represent Americans at whatever level. I wish I knew where to start and what to do because I would be on it in a New York minute. I am bored with my job and am looking to start into politics but I am concerned about the money. Ok, now that I've rambled on I'll let you respond.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2004, 02:27:41 AM »

Handzus,

You know I like you personally, but you have a couple of major personality flaws that would KILL you in the world of politics. The most important one is that you are whimsical...I have seen you change your mind on issues and people from hour to hour, let alone day to day!!! Also, for better or for worse, your kind of "labor union" politics is pretty much at an end in the United States, even in the Democratic Party. The other big personality flaw is the same one I have...you have a tendency to be a little mean spirited from time to time...which is a reflection on our backgrounds as much as anything, but it still hurts you in political circles BEFORE you gain power. Once you have power, then you can open things up a little, but I think you would have a problem holding your temper.

Whimsical???  I don't think I am.  Temper maybe.  I see a little of Howard Dean in me.  i'm very bulleaded.
MarkDel

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2004, 02:30:42 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2004, 02:32:12 AM by MarkDel »

As someone who used to be involved in politics for real, I think I have some pretty good insight into this question. While I have not met you guys in person, based on what I've read on this forum in terms of substance AND style, there are very, very few people who actually have a chance to be elected to significant political office.

On the forum, one person stands out above the rest as a guy with a very, very real future in politics based on his intelligence, demeanor, and the substance AND style of his arguments. More on him at the end...

But guys who COULD have a future from what I see include Supersoulty and PBrunsel on the Republican side, and Ben and Nym90 on the Democratic side. As for the European contingent, both Gustaf and JFK could also be on that track. But all of these people mentioned have limitations which could hinder their chances...

The only surefire politician on this forum...if he wants it...is John Ford.

Wow, thanks. What do you think my strengths/weaknesses are? Thanks in advance.

Nym90,

Your strengths are that you make intelligent and coherent arguments that would play well with most people. Your politics are left wing, but not so left wing that you would be unable to secure a nomination. You would have little or no problem securing votes within your own party, and would have a good chance to earn a nomination based on your "loyal Democratic soldier" approach to every issue, even when you know you're party is wrong. As for your weaknesses, you have a tendency to assume certain levels of knowledge on the part of your audience....this is not a good thing when dealing with the general public. You need to explain WHY you arrive at a conclusion better rather than just WHAT that conclusion may be. And while your partisan approach would aid you in securing a nomination, it would seriously alienate moderate and conservative voters if you were placed in an awkward situation by a fellow Democrat or an issue which is potentially negative for the overall party. Like most modern Democrats, you are prone to ignoring or rationalizing factual data when it doesn't suit your political agenda. You're part of what I like to call the "2+2=5" crowd who continue to argue their message even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Now you will counter by saying that BOTH parties do this, blah, blah, blah, but the truth is that Democrats do this FAR more often than Republicans, and this is a big factor on why Republicans made so many Congressional gains over the last 10 years. Democrats have lost because of their POLITICS more than their POLICY, and you definitely fall into the "2+2=5 and it depends on what the definition of is is" crowd. THAT KILLS YOU in a general election unless you are in a very, very safe district.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2004, 02:31:05 AM »

Is that all you have to say for me, though?
MarkDel

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2004, 02:35:27 AM »

Supersoulty,

No, far from it, but you just asked for the negatives. The positives are that you have an outstanding grasp of the issues and you have this natural demeanor that makes people want to like you. You would find a lot of support from those in your own party, and would even have crossover appeal if you were able to express yourself in person the way you express yourself on paper. Seriously, the only thing holding you back would be that self-confidence issue.
MarkDel

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2004, 02:37:04 AM »

States,

Hispanics are moving in. But I wouldn't say it's a flood but its a rural farming community where I live as you may already know. The Democrats are almost "unheard" around here. Its a battle of the most right conservative. And yes I do wear a lot of khakis and such as long as jeans and such..I mix and match. I was voted most likely to become a politician in H.S. for whatever that means. Wink My wife says I'd make a d*mn good representative so maybe she may be on to something. I really really want to hold a position. Not just some passing desire but a burning passion in my gut (I know it sounds weird) to represent Americans at whatever level. I wish I knew where to start and what to do because I would be on it in a New York minute. I am bored with my job and am looking to start into politics but I am concerned about the money. Ok, now that I've rambled on I'll let you respond.

StatesRights,

Do you know anyone involved in local politics? That would be the best place to start. Call the County Republican Office and tell them that you are interested in doing some volunteer work or being a Committee Rep....then start charming people...LOL
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2004, 02:41:15 AM »

States,

StatesRights,

Do you know anyone involved in local politics? That would be the best place to start. Call the County Republican Office and tell them that you are interested in doing some volunteer work or being a Committee Rep....then start charming people...LOL

Self gloating here but I am a very laid back guy. I often have heard the term 'charming' from many women I dated. Smiley Maybe that's a good sign. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2004, 02:42:54 AM »

Supersoulty,

No, far from it, but you just asked for the negatives. The positives are that you have an outstanding grasp of the issues and you have this natural demeanor that makes people want to like you. You would find a lot of support from those in your own party, and would even have crossover appeal if you were able to express yourself in person the way you express yourself on paper. Seriously, the only thing holding you back would be that self-confidence issue.

I think that your words have helped.  Smiley
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2004, 02:44:04 AM »

Mark, you never really hit on my strengths.   Just thought I'd point that out.
MarkDel

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2004, 02:47:33 AM »

Supersoulty,

Supersoulty,

And it's a real gift that you have when I say that people "want to like you"

That's a great positive in life. I have a variation on that in my personality...people either LOVE me or HATE me...and there are generally very few people in between. I was literally the most POPULAR person AND most HATED person in my entire High School...both at the same time.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2004, 02:50:14 AM »

Supersoulty,

Supersoulty,

That's a great positive in life. I have a variation on that in my personality...people either LOVE me or HATE me...and there are generally very few people in between. I was literally the most POPULAR person AND most HATED person in my entire High School...both at the same time.

Hehe, I was too.  One of the most hated and one of the most liked.
MarkDel

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2004, 02:51:19 AM »

God, you didn't ask for those either...LOL

I would say that you're biggest strength is your passion for making a difference. People can tell when a politician is just going through the motions or when he really, truly cares about the issues and his job. Your passion and enthusiam would be your biggest strength. You're not as "up" on the issues as someone like John Ford or Supersoulty, but you THINK you are, and that is often enough in modern politics, especially in your party where your base is less educated and less involved in daily politics. You have a real confidence that what you are saying is right...even if you do have a tendency to take a different position only a few hours later...LOL
MarkDel

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2004, 02:53:12 AM »

Supersoulty,

Supersoulty,

Hehe, I was too.  One of the most hated and one of the most liked.

Handzus,

That makes sense... we both have "in your face" personalities.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2004, 02:56:27 AM »

Supersoulty,

Supersoulty,

Funny, I always thought of myself as a love me/hate me person too.  But I have an old paranoia about people pretending to like me, but then talking behind my back.  Comes from high school
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2004, 02:57:25 AM »

I would say that you're biggest strength is your passion for making a difference. People can tell when a politician is just going through the motions or when he really, truly cares about the issues and his job. Your passion and enthusiam would be your biggest strength. You're not as "up" on the issues as someone like John Ford or Supersoulty, but you THINK you are, and that is often enough in modern politics, especially in your party where your base is less educated and less involved in daily politics. You have a real confidence that what you are saying is right...even if you do have a tendency to take a different position only a few hours later...LOL

Thanks.  Thing is you didn't answer why you think I'm whimsical?  It seems like that word or "flip-flop" is becoming casually used to describe someone that doesn not agree with them.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2004, 02:57:41 AM »

So mark, you gonna vote in Fantasy politics or what?
MarkDel

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2004, 02:58:26 AM »

Oh, do I have to do it tonight or can I wait until tomorrow?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2004, 02:59:44 AM »

Oh, do I have to do it tonight or can I wait until tomorrow?

Mark, if you Register in the New register thread this should be the post..

MarkDel
Southern Republican Party
Florida

Smiley
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2004, 03:00:15 AM »

Of course, the elcections aren't for another month.  You just didn't respond to my asnwer in the fantasy board,and I thought you might have missed it.
MarkDel

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2004, 03:03:24 AM »

Thanks.  Thing is you didn't answer why you think I'm whimsical?  It seems like that word or "flip-flop" is becoming casually used to describe someone that doesn not agree with them.

Handzus,

OK, here's just one example. A few weeks ago, you spent several posts telling me how the extreme social leftists were ruining the Democratic Party and how the Democratic Party would be much better off if it went back to its "blue collar" roots rather than than today's "green roots"

I AGREED WITH YOU...then a few hours later, you are practically fellating Migrendel (actually that might be a poor choice of words where he's concerned) and telling him how great his social leftist wing of the party is. THAT IS A FLIP FLOP....then when I pointed it out to you, you went into the "2+2=5" routine that Democrats use these days to try and tell me that I didn't see what I really saw. That's just one example.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2004, 03:05:51 AM »

I AGREED WITH YOU...then a few hours later, you are practically fellating Migrendel (actually that might be a poor choice of words where he's concerned)

OMG!! LOL That is the funniest thing (besides FreedomBurns posts) that I have read all night.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2004, 03:05:52 AM »

MarkDel
Florida

Smiley

MarkDel
UAC
Florida

SmileySmiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2004, 03:07:19 AM »

MarkDel
Florida

Smiley

MarkDel
UAC
Florida

SmileySmiley

The UAC is a joke. Ford you really need to become a Republican again. It really aggravates me Smiley. The SRP are not nutters and our members are not Josh or RFan. We really would welcome you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies