Why is Evanston more bluer than Downtown Chicago, South and West Sides?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:23:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Evanston more bluer than Downtown Chicago, South and West Sides?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Evanston more bluer than Downtown Chicago, South and West Sides?  (Read 377 times)
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2024, 09:06:48 PM »

Usually the deepest D precincts in Chicagoland is either going to be in the mostly African American South, and West Sides of Chicago (city proper), but Evanston home to NU is pretty much deep dark blue.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 09:15:14 PM »

Northwestern University + general self-sorting of liberal whites. We see something simillar in NY with the Park Slope area of Brooklyn for instance.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 09:02:03 AM »

Evanston is populated by people who are real life versions of conservative caricatures of “woke”.
kwabbit

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 10:06:00 AM »

Downtown Chicago and Lincoln Park are interestingly not that blue. I think it's the money, but the extent that those areas vote for centrist Dems and even for the GOP is surprising. I think Rauner 2014 and Kirk 2010 got pretty close to 50-50 and Vallas has his best results outside of the cop areas.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 10:55:41 AM »

Downtown Chicago and Lincoln Park are interestingly not that blue. I think it's the money, but the extent that those areas vote for centrist Dems and even for the GOP is surprising. I think Rauner 2014 and Kirk 2010 got pretty close to 50-50 and Vallas has his best results outside of the cop areas.

I think one aspect is that downtown Chicago is generally a lot less cultural when it comes to things like art and history than the downtown of a place like New York City - most people who choose to live in downtown live there to be close to work - very socially liberal fiscally conservative types. Downtown Chicago has zoomed left pretty fast though thanks to high educational attainment and a rapidly growing population.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 12:25:14 PM »

I think one aspect is that downtown Chicago is generally a lot less cultural when it comes to things like art and history than the downtown of a place like New York City - most people who choose to live in downtown live there to be close to work - very socially liberal fiscally conservative types. Downtown Chicago has zoomed left pretty fast though thanks to high educational attainment and a rapidly growing population.

I expect Evanston to moderate somewhat in upcoming elections. COVID drove a large number people to Evanston and Wilmette from LP and the Near North Side.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 02:49:58 PM »

Northwestern University + general self-sorting of liberal whites. We see something simillar in NY with the Park Slope area of Brooklyn for instance.
That would make sense.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies