Is Ohio more similar to Iowa or New Jersey?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:56:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Ohio more similar to Iowa or New Jersey?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Iowa

New Jersey

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Is Ohio more similar to Iowa or New Jersey?  (Read 574 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2024, 06:36:59 PM »

?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 10:01:14 PM »

Interesting comparison there...and I've never been to Ohio, so I can't say firsthand.

Certainly Ohio has big suburban and city metros like New Jersey, but New Jersey isn't as rural.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 01:36:14 AM »

Interesting comparison there...and I've never been to Ohio, so I can't say firsthand.

Certainly Ohio has big suburban and city metros like New Jersey, but New Jersey isn't as rural.

But Ohio is considerably more urban than Iowa, and probably one of the most densely populated states outside the Northeast.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 04:56:39 PM »

But Ohio is considerably more urban than Iowa, and probably one of the most densely populated states outside the Northeast.

Surprisingly the most densely populated state outside the Northeast is Florida, but after that it is Ohio.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 01:30:53 PM »

Ohio's smaller cities are much closer to Iowa's than New Jersey's which have seen 20% GOP swings. New Jersey's either had large non white populations or were suburbs/exurbs of NYC. Ohio/Iowa ones are largely white, post industrial. In the latter the Democrats have largely ceased to exist whether it be in Iowa/Ohio or Maine/New Hampshire.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 11:45:42 PM »

Surprisingly the most densely populated state outside the Northeast is Florida, but after that it is Ohio.

I actually looked at the list and was surprised to see PA and OH at 9th and 10th in density (interestingly, California is just behind, at 11th place), respectively, and both extremely close together too. (OH is about 50k short of surpassing PA on density.) Ohio has about 5x the density of Iowa, but is about 4x less dense than NJ (which is 20% above #2 Rhode Island, which itself is well-above #3 MA). The rural areas of Ohio probably have a lot more in common with Iowa, but I don't think the same is really true of the urban areas. Cleveland itself has a satellite city (Akron) that is comparable in population to the largest city in Iowa (Des Moines) and Cleveland itself is a shell of what it was decades ago.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 10:29:45 AM »

By population numbers and community type (rural, suburban, urban) I would say New Jersey is a closer match since Ohio is much more of an urban/suburban state. Our suburbs are just significantly more conservative than New Jersey's.

Interestingly, Ohio and New Jersey seem to have had a fairly similar number of Democratic voters in the last two presidential elections. We just had way more Republican voters.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 08:55:57 PM »

By population numbers and community type (rural, suburban, urban) I would say New Jersey is a closer match since Ohio is much more of an urban/suburban state. Our suburbs are just significantly more conservative than New Jersey's.

Interestingly, Ohio and New Jersey seem to have had a fairly similar number of Democratic voters in the last two presidential elections. We just had way more Republican voters.

I don't disagree with you and it's also why I don't like the characterization of the Midwest region. Ohio does seem to be around the convergence point of a couple regions. The Northeast is definitely Great Lakes and Rust Belt, but also seems to have some certain Eastern characteristics that differ from the rest of the state. The SW and SE parts of the state have some Southern and Appalachian influence. The Central and Western parts of the state are definitely some of the most Midwestern.

Historically speaking, it makes sense that there is heavy eastern influcence in Ohio. For a very long time, you had the belt of states of NY, PA, and OH as the three biggest states in the country. New York was on top from 1810-1970. Except for the 1810 Census, PA was second from 1790-1950. Ohio appeared on the top 5 in 1820 and didn't drop off until 1970 (spending most of the time in 3rd or 4th place).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 11:56:05 AM »

For these comparisons, it's much better to use population-weighted density. By this measure, NJ is the 3rd most dense state, CA is the 4th most dense, OH is 24th, and IA is 36th. Iowa is clearly closer than New Jersey.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies