Emerson WI and MI: Baldwin+3, Slotkin+2-8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:38:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections
  2024 Senate & House Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Emerson WI and MI: Baldwin+3, Slotkin+2-8
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Emerson WI and MI: Baldwin+3, Slotkin+2-8  (Read 750 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2024, 12:01:35 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 04:35:19 PM »

Reasonable margins. Though too many undecideds in both.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 10:04:12 AM »

Baldwin was supposed to be vulnerable, she is holding her own
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 04:49:32 PM »

Eh, I don't think Baldwin is an unbeatable titan, but Hovde is a pretty obvious carpet-bagger and Baldwin has a pro-Wisconsin brand around many corners of the state.

This is the same Baldwin who defeated a popular former governor in 2012 by 6%, and 11% in 2018 (an election with 61% turnout, mind you). With those numbers, Hovde would have to flip a large number of voters just to get to 3%. I don't see that happening, I think Baldwin wins by 6-10 regardless of the Presidential margin.

Slotkin 2-8 seems reasonable, probably ends up closer to the higher end of that.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 06:15:35 PM »

Eh, I don't think Baldwin is an unbeatable titan, but Hovde is a pretty obvious carpet-bagger and Baldwin has a pro-Wisconsin brand around many corners of the state.

This is the same Baldwin who defeated a popular former governor in 2012 by 6%, and 11% in 2018 (an election with 61% turnout, mind you). With those numbers, Hovde would have to flip a large number of voters just to get to 3%. I don't see that happening, I think Baldwin wins by 6-10 regardless of the Presidential margin.

Slotkin 2-8 seems reasonable, probably ends up closer to the higher end of that.
It wasn't obvious at that time, but over the next 6 to 8 years it quickly became obvious that once a governor has been out of office for some time, their appeal on the voters begins to wane. See also: Ted Strickland, Evan Bayh (who was also a former Senator), Phil Bredesen.
Fancyarcher
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 06:28:13 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2024, 11:29:15 PM by Fancyarcher »

It wasn't obvious at that time, but over the next 6 to 8 years it quickly became obvious that once a governor has been out of office for some time, their appeal on the voters begins to wane. See also: Ted Strickland, Evan Bayh (who was also a former Senator), Phil Bredesen.

To be fair, unlike those three candidates who were destroyed by their states lean and also just running a bad campaign in Strickland's case, Thompson lost in large part, because Obama carried Wisconsin substantially in 2012. Baldwin actually ran pretty much even with him, only falling short of a point.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 05:55:06 PM »

Strickland was a popular Governor?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 10:14:57 PM »

Baldwin+3 sounds reasonable. On the one hand she might do better because even Tony Evers, who seems like he'd have less crossover appeal, won by around that much. Otoh, Baldwin's running in a presidential year in a federal race, meaning more intense polarization.

In fairness, Bayh ran against the national environment. And Bredesen and Bayh were both from states that lean heavily towards the other party. WI was always more purple and very much open to both parties at all levels.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 09:24:42 AM »

I suspect both will end up being slight Dem victories.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies