MD (WaPo/UMD): Hogan leads both by double digits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:48:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections
  2024 Senate & House Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD (WaPo/UMD): Hogan leads both by double digits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MD (WaPo/UMD): Hogan leads both by double digits  (Read 1817 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2024, 11:57:39 AM »
« edited: March 20, 2024, 12:10:15 PM by Roll Roons »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/03/20/senate-poll-hogan-trone-alsobrooks/

I want to believe…
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 12:06:06 PM »

Hogan (R) 49
Trone (D) 37
Undecided 14

Hogan (R) 50
Alsobrooks (D) 36
Undecided 15

Dem Primary
Trone 34
Alsobrooks 27
Undecided 39
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 12:18:18 PM »

Maybe this is a sign we shouldn’t be taking polling in red states like MT or OH seriously this early either. Hogan obviously isn’t going to win, and Senate polling is generally useless until around Labor Day.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 12:19:21 PM »

Even if Hogan is unlikely to win, Schumer with polling like this will be forced to invest.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 12:25:52 PM »

If the polls say Hogan can win, then Hogan can win. I think people forget that Maryland is a state full of moderates and only votes as one of the most D states in the nation because the moderates here think the Ds are the moderate party and the Rs are a very extreme party. I can see a ton of white suburban moderates in places like Baltimore County, Howard County and Montgomery County defecting to Hogan, feeling secure in knowing that Biden is president (even though the same election by which they elect Hogan might also see Biden defeated, but people tend not to think that far).

Either way, this will force the Dems to spend money here and be yet another headache for the DSCC.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 12:28:35 PM »

Maybe this is a sign we shouldn’t be taking polling in red states like MT or OH seriously this early either. Hogan obviously isn’t going to win, and Senate polling is generally useless until around Labor Day.
Hogan has an astonishing 63 % favorable Rating.

I remember a certain guy named Mark Warner who left the Governors Office in Richmond in 2005 with a 74 % JA Rating and then carried that over to win the Senate Race in 2008.

This is not too dissimilar. Would be nice to have some "Sanity" back in the Senate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 12:30:42 PM »

Once he's tied to Trump and then has to condemn Trump which in turn hurts him with base GOP voters then he doesn't have a chance. But even without that he doesn't have a chance because the state is far too blue. I think he's counting on Alsobrooks winning the primary so he can pull the "I'm sane White man running against an angry Black woman" card.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 12:31:12 PM »

Hogan has an astonishing 63 % favorable Rating.

I remember a certain guy named Mark Warner who left the Governors Office in Richmond in 2005 with a 74 % JA Rating and then carried that over to win the Senate Race in 2008.

This is not too dissimilar. Would be nice to have some "Sanity" back in the Senate.

Well I mean to overcome such a hefty margin in a federal race is still a steep climb especially since all these races will be framed as Schumer vs Thune.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 12:31:42 PM »

When voters were asked what party they prefer to control the Senate, they chose Dems 55-35% over Reps. Yeah.
Redban

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 12:31:46 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2024, 12:35:17 PM by Redban »

Excellent

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 12:34:22 PM »

You know we are targeting TX, FL and ND
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 12:36:37 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2024, 12:39:52 PM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

Awe guys, Redban thinks he can actually win.
UncleSam

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 12:52:49 PM »

Once he's tied to Trump and then has to condemn Trump which in turn hurts him with base GOP voters then he doesn't have a chance. But even without that he doesn't have a chance because the state is far too blue. I think he's counting on Alsobrooks winning the primary so he can pull the "I'm sane White man running against an angry Black woman" card.
How do you tie him to Trump though? He has pretty continuously condemned Trump, I don’t really see that line of attack working.

I do think it is surprising that the far right has rallied behind Hogan though. I would expect his right flank is soft and may not turn out for him.

Obviously no one ever went broke betting on partisanship to carry the day. I do think this is Likely D, but the DSCC will need to spend serious money here to hold what should be a safe seat.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 01:52:10 PM »

But did not Collins pull this off in ME back in 2020? Granted she was an incumbent but one can argue that Hogan so well known in MD you can argue he is a pseudo-incumbent
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 01:54:24 PM »

It's giving TN-Sen 2018.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2024, 02:05:47 PM »

I want to believe
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 02:08:44 PM »

Senators Lingle, Weld, Bayh, Bullock, and Bredesen look forward to welcoming him into their caucus!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2024, 02:10:05 PM »

How do you tie him to Trump though? He has pretty continuously condemned Trump, I don’t really see that line of attack working.

I do think it is surprising that the far right has rallied behind Hogan though. I would expect his right flank is soft and may not turn out for him.

Obviously no one ever went broke betting on partisanship to carry the day. I do think this is Likely D, but the DSCC will need to spend serious money here to hold what should be a safe seat.

It would be to make him have to focus a lot on being anti-Trump and therefore put off Trump voters enough so they skip the race. Furthermore it can be argued that he would support most of Trump's agenda, supreme court nominees included based on Republicans rallying around Trump once they are elected.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 02:11:59 PM »

I am making a bold bet that Hogan will do better than Bredesen. The Difference between Hogan and Bredesen is that the former TN Governor was out of Office for a very long time while Hogan just left basically a year ago. And they just like the guy there.
kwabbit

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 02:38:18 PM »

Senators Lingle, Weld, Bayh, Bullock, and Bredesen look forward to welcoming him into their caucus!

Unpopular, fair point but against strong incumbent Kerry, Old News, fair point, Old News.

I think Weld 96 is probably the closest race to this one. Bullock wasn't as popular as Weld or Hogan.

The one key difference is that this is an open seat, which helps Hogan, but MD is also more inelastic than MA and partisanship has drastically increased since 1996.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2024, 02:40:13 PM »

The DSCC doesn’t need to spend a dime there.
kwabbit

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2024, 02:42:28 PM »

The DSCC doesn’t need to spend a dime there.

They have unlimited money so they should probably drop 25 million. It wouldn't even detract from Ohio or Montana. The only way Hogan can win is if you completely ignore the race and let him set the narrative.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2024, 02:43:02 PM »

I would imagine most of those undecided voters would come home to Ds and again, 49/50 is a high water mark for Hogan at this point. Both Ds only polling at 36/37 seems more of a name rec thing at this point too.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2024, 02:49:16 PM »

I doubt it, and this could be more evidence polling is broken. However, I would advise the Democrats to play it safe and not take it for granted entirely.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2024, 02:56:40 PM »

We have been at the same rodeo so many times over the years and yet some people never learn.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies