Rep. Joe Neguse elected assistant House Democratic leader, replacing Clyburn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:48:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Joe Neguse elected assistant House Democratic leader, replacing Clyburn
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Joe Neguse elected assistant House Democratic leader, replacing Clyburn  (Read 843 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2024, 10:00:34 AM »

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 10:05:05 AM »

Oh wow, that's huge. I've liked Neguse ever since he was an impeachment manager. I guess this sets him up for a career in House Democratic leadership, so he won't leave to run for Senate right? I'd like to see him run for President someday.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 10:08:33 AM »

Oh wow, that's huge. I've liked Neguse ever since he was an impeachment manager. I guess this sets him up for a career in House Democratic leadership, so he won't leave to run for Senate right? I'd like to see him run for President someday.

I’d say Crow or Pettersen are the frontrunners for an Senate seat at this point. Maybe Adam Frisch?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 11:25:47 AM »

Being in house leadership doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t run for senate, Ben Ray Luján is an example.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 09:48:02 AM »

Being in house leadership doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t run for senate, Ben Ray Luján is an example.

Yup, or run for governor in 2026, when Polis is term-limited. Neguse is really young and has just been in the House since 2019.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 09:04:41 PM »

Some much for House Democrats not wanting younger leadership. That logic was always a fallacy.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 10:47:46 PM »

I’d say Crow or Pettersen are the frontrunners for an Senate seat at this point. Maybe Adam Frisch?
He might be too conservative. If he loses this November, his career ends. And if he wins, Democrats might urge him to stay put.

I've long thought Jason Crow could be a future senator. But I prefer Neguse.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 08:05:48 AM »

He might be too conservative. If he loses this November, his career ends. And if he wins, Democrats might urge him to stay put.

Word on the street is Crow is interested in moving up and Joe is interested in a career in the House. I think 1-1, Crow would lose the primary. Ever since I was a little kid, people have been obsessed with Joe Neguse.

We have way too strong of a bench here right now. I’m not sure what happens next. I think Griswold and Crow are both eyeing a gubernatorial run, though if I were Griswold I would maybe think about running for AG too. Phil Weiser is termed out with nowhere to go, as is the governor.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 12:04:53 PM »

Word on the street is Crow is interested in moving up and Joe is interested in a career in the House. I think 1-1, Crow would lose the primary. Ever since I was a little kid, people have been obsessed with Joe Neguse.

We have way too strong of a bench here right now. I’m not sure what happens next. I think Griswold and Crow are both eyeing a gubernatorial run, though if I were Griswold I would maybe think about running for AG too. Phil Weiser is termed out with nowhere to go, as is the governor.

I don't live in Colorado so you probably know better than me.

I see Griswold on MSNBC a lot for a Secretary of State. She's the chair of the Democratic Association of Secretaries of State. Along with Jocelyn Benson, I see her as the next governor of her respective state.

I do think Jared Polis could be a contender for senate. But I think he probably has higher aspirations for himself. I think he probably runs in the presidential primary in 2028. If that doesn't work, I think he probably takes a look at the senate next time a seat opens up.

As a Coloradoan, do you sense if Hickenlooper will run for a second term in 2026? It could years before a senate seat in Colorado opens up.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 09:28:51 AM »

I don't live in Colorado so you probably know better than me.

I see Griswold on MSNBC a lot for a Secretary of State. She's the chair of the Democratic Association of Secretaries of State. Along with Jocelyn Benson, I see her as the next governor of her respective state.

I do think Jared Polis could be a contender for senate. But I think he probably has higher aspirations for himself. I think he probably runs in the presidential primary in 2028. If that doesn't work, I think he probably takes a look at the senate next time a seat opens up.

As a Coloradoan, do you sense if Hickenlooper will run for a second term in 2026? It could years before a senate seat in Colorado opens up.

Yeah, Polis thinks he can be POTUS.

Griswold definitely has higher ambitions. She also has a good bio and policies, but I think she can come off a little too eager. She should spend less time on MSNBC and more time building relationships in state. That's how you win elections.

Hickenlooper is definitely running for reelection, unfortunately. He could be vulnerable to a primary from the left, but there aren't really any stars on the left who could beat him.

Mike Johnston is also gonna have to go somewhere. He is too young and too determined to end at Denver mayor.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 11:41:34 AM »

Mike Johnston is also gonna have to go somewhere. He is too young and too determined to end at Denver mayor.

He should just run for the House and be nominated for Speaker just to watch the chaos and probably misvotes.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 12:54:05 PM »

I wonder if Dean Phillips might have been considered for this position if he hadn't sabotaged his political career.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2024, 10:10:41 AM »

I wonder if Dean Phillips might have been considered for this position if he hadn't sabotaged his political career.

He could probably run for Governor of Minnesota.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 10:32:10 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2024, 11:17:53 AM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

He could probably run for Governor of Minnesota.

I think that's actually why he sabotaged his political career. He's clearly one of those who sees himself as an executive and not a legislator and I believe some people (at least in Washington) were mentioning him as a favorite for the Democratic nomination for Minnesota governor after the 2022 elections, but then I noticed that Minnesota doesn't have term limits for governor and it looks like Tim Walz is going to run for a third term.

So, I think a lot of Phillips comments on Biden were just him expressing frustration that his political career has no where to go.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 12:31:01 PM »

Fantastic pick. He really shone during impeachment.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 10:48:57 PM »

Cool, I really like Neguse and there's no doubt he'll be an upgrade over Clyburn.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 10:52:58 PM »

I do see him as a possible presidential contender or at least Speaker in the future.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 02:21:23 AM »

Neguse and Katie Hill were chosen as the leaders of the Democratic caucus class of 2018 freshmen. One got taken down by scandal, the other one's fulfilling his destiny in House leadership...

I get the feeling Neguse is going to stay put in the House. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't really see him running for Senate or for governor given how rapidly he's risen through the ranks at so young an age. He might wait it out in the hope of becoming House Speaker in a few decades.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2024, 01:46:34 PM »

I do see him as a possible presidential contender or at least Speaker in the future.

He was my boss briefly. We never talked about long term ambitions, but he clearly has them. The opportunity to vote for him would honest to God make me proud to be an American. Even though he’s a lot less progressive these days than he was back then. He’s just a really good person. And I think we would be really lucky to have him serve as speaker, senator, or even POTUS
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2024, 01:51:23 PM »

Why did Clyburn resign from the position?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2024, 03:22:43 PM »

He’s 83 and he only stayed on to make sure the new team found their footing, which they definitely have so his job is done.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2024, 04:35:04 PM »

He’s 83 and he only stayed on to make sure the new team found their footing, which they definitely have so his job is done.
Ah. I guess I never heard of his resignation so this entire situation came as a surprise.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies