Todd Young won’t support Trump.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:01:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Todd Young won’t support Trump.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Todd Young won’t support Trump.  (Read 518 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2024, 02:45:10 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 02:48:06 PM »

"...nominate somebody..." your party de facto already nominated Trump. He has secured enough delegates already.

Anyway, a few Republican senators not backing Trump won't make a difference in November. Endorsements rarely matter.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 03:10:53 PM »

"...nominate somebody..." your party de facto already nominated Trump. He has secured enough delegates already.

Anyway, a few Republican senators not backing Trump won't make a difference in November. Endorsements rarely matter.

I assume he's saying they need to incentive the party to nominate someone else in the future.  And that if enough public Republican defections cause Trump to lose this time around, that might create this incentive.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 03:13:11 PM »

Trump is in the process of purging the Repub party of anti-Trumpers that haven't already left the party. The old GOP is not coming back anytime soon. Even if Trump is out of the picture (which he won't be until he dies), someone just as crazy will take his place, and the people who make up the "base" will vote for them too.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 03:18:25 PM »

Good for him. It's an incredibly low bar, but given the pathetic amount of people in the GOP willing to speak out against him, I'll at least give him credit for this
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 04:00:01 PM »

Young and all of the other anti-Trump Republicans in the Senate should switch to the Democratic Party since Trump.and his supporters explicitly and vehemently don't want them anymore.

They don't have to go all in on progressive ideology or anything, they can just be a "reasonable moderate" caucus within the majority. That's more respect than they'll ever find within their own party again.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 04:19:51 PM »

Partial credit only, as he doesn't have to worry about re-election for another four years.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 04:22:19 PM »

Gotta say, it's nice someone does something like this and doesn't say "and I'm not running for reelection" in the same sentence. I don't expect Todd Young to run for reelection but so many Republicans say both "I'm not supporting Trump" and "I'm quitting" at the same time* that it's nice to see you can be a sitting R Senator like this.

*Or just do with Ben Sasse did and just quit in the middle of his Senate term for no reason.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 04:55:36 PM »

Unprecedented numbers of Republicans are not supporting their party's nominee.

Trump's cabinet, leading U.S. Senators, former republican party leaders, and even his Vice President aren't supporting his candidacy.

He's a danger to the country and a bipartisan majority agree. 
Compuzled_One
Rookie
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 05:55:29 PM »

Gotta say, it's nice someone does something like this and doesn't say "and I'm not running for reelection" in the same sentence. I don't expect Todd Young to run for reelection but so many Republicans say both "I'm not supporting Trump" and "I'm quitting" at the same time* that it's nice to see you can be a sitting R Senator like this.

*Or just do with Ben Sasse did and just quit in the middle of his Senate term for no reason.
Didn't Ben Sasse just wanna be a uni president?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2024, 05:55:46 PM »

What a random person to do it, he wasn't even a vote for impeachment. I guess him being close with Mike Pence explains it. Still, good on him, and people in his position do have a duty to warn the country about the danger Trump would be if he gets back in.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 09:57:57 PM »

Kind of surprising
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 07:47:44 AM »

I think after he faced no primary opposition in 2022 he felt more free to be the moderate pragmatic conservative he really is. Young keeps a low profile but he has consistently been one of the most bipartisan senators.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies