Was the music produced in the 1960s & 1970s better than the music produced in recent times?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:03:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Was the music produced in the 1960s & 1970s better than the music produced in recent times?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Considering the average of the quality of the music, do you consider that the music produced in the 1960s & 1970s is better than the music produced in recent times?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: Was the music produced in the 1960s & 1970s better than the music produced in recent times?  (Read 121 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2024, 03:28:05 PM »

There is no simple answer for this question. There are good and bad arguments to answer yes or no.
In all times, there is good music and bad music. I am asking about the average.

Many people who answer "no" mention a list of very good recent musicians. But these very good musicians are never on the top 10 best selling. If you compare the top best selling music artists of the 1960s & 1970s to the top best selling music artists of recent times, you will see that the top music artists of the past used to produce much more complex melodies. Many pop songs of the 2010s are based on the repetition of the same note many times. On the other hand, nobody has the obligation to think that complexity of the melody is always the most important criterium to compare music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3w8I8boc_I

Since art depend a lot on individual tastes, answering questions like these is never so easy.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 03:55:04 PM »

LOL no, not at all. 90s music, yes, absolutely.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 05:19:30 PM »

The 2010s is the greatest decade of music.

And if you disagree with me, you are wrong.

Just sayin'
First1There
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 05:58:47 PM »

The problem with [whatever] is better in the past than [whatever] now is only the good stuff from the past is good enough to last into the present while we have to deal with all the schlock produced now, good and bad. So there is a notability bias for the good stuff then and a recency/exposure bias for the bad stuff now.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 09:08:49 PM »

There is a lot of good music from the 70s, but there is also massive amounts of garbage. If you tuned into pop radio on any given day in 1975 you would hear some real trash mixed in there. People tend to only remember the good stuff though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 09:20:35 PM »

There is a lot of good music from the 70s, but there is also massive amounts of garbage. If you tuned into pop radio on any given day in 1975 you would hear some real trash mixed in there. People tend to only remember the good stuff though.
Furthermore there was no emo. Music made after 1985 is automatically better than music made prior to it for that reason alone.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies