How can Trump be seen as 'tough on crime' when he's vouching to release Jan 6 criminals on day 1?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:38:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How can Trump be seen as 'tough on crime' when he's vouching to release Jan 6 criminals on day 1?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How can Trump be seen as 'tough on crime' when he's vouching to release Jan 6 criminals on day 1?  (Read 818 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2024, 09:47:12 AM »

This isn't about his base or what they think, b/c we know they don't believe anyone involved with Jan 6 is an actual criminal.

But how are we actually having this discussion on issues and acting as if crime is a good issue for Trump? Even outside of the fact that he has 4 criminal trials going on right now, but he's literally telling us he is going to let hundreds of criminals free on his 1st day in office.

The irony here is that Republicans tried to use this line of attack on John Fetterman in 2022 based on comments he had made (which were taken out of context) - so GOP is against releasing criminals but now they're all for it?

I wish Biden/Dems would start to connect the dots on some of these things and push this into the narrative, b/c it's objectively insane.
Redban

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 10:00:44 AM »

January 6
vs
open borders, no cash bail, and George Soros DAs etc

Yes — Democrats really have a lane in the “tough on crime” argument
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 10:05:55 AM »

January 6
vs

Are January 6 criminals not real criminals? That argument is asinine. Trump is literally saying "let's let a thousand criminals out on the street on day 1" - if you honestly believe that is comparable to any of what you mentioned then you're completely dense
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 10:11:28 AM »

January 6
vs

That’s (D)ifferent
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 10:21:12 AM »

It's because many of his supporters don't believe in rule of law:

The New Right both exposes the false priests of the kleptocracy and smashes conservative political idols as it reassesses appeals to the U.S. Constitution and our supposedly sacred political ideals. The idea of “democracy” in its current usage is a farce.  [...] At some point in the decline of every empire, with its dissolute senators, it finally dawns on a truly great leader, one born of the family of the lion or the tribe of the eagle, “Hey, I could run this thing.” The New Right now often discusses a Red Caesar, by which it means a leader whose post-constitutional rule will restore the strength of his people.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 10:27:54 AM »

Because “tough on crime” is about the aesthetic of a reactionary president letting cops profile and beat up minorities not actual enforcement of the law
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 10:36:38 AM »

January 6
vs

Are January 6 criminals not real criminals? That argument is asinine. Trump is literally saying "let's let a thousand criminals out on the street on day 1" - if you honestly believe that is comparable to any of what you mentioned then you're completely dense

Of course they're real criminals, but the actions of the January 6th rioters don't affect people's day to day lives in the way that the threat of murders and carjackings do.
GAinDC

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 11:00:25 AM »

January 6
vs

Of course they're real criminals, but the actions of the January 6th rioters don't affect people's day to day lives in the way that the threat of murders and carjackings do.

People voting on “crime” were gonna vote for Trump anyway for reasons stated previously
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 11:05:27 AM »

Because conservatism doesn't advocate equality under the rule of law.

They believe that there must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

This principle is the cornerstone of their entire ideology.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 04:29:44 PM »

Because “tough on crime” is about the aesthetic of a reactionary president letting cops profile and beat up minorities not actual enforcement of the law

Bingo!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 04:56:12 PM »

January 6
vs

Ah so now the Jan 6 criminals are less of a threat than "other" criminals, got it. This argument just gets more nonsensical by the day (I'm not even going to get into immigrants factually committing less crimes than American-born citizens)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 05:24:13 PM »

January 6
vs

Ah so now the Jan 6 criminals are less of a threat than "other" criminals, got it.

Literally yes? If I was walking down the street and I walked past a 50-year-old who'd stormed the Capitol on January 6th vs. a 20-year-old gang member, I know which one I'd be more scared of.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 05:35:16 PM »

People care more about crime that affects them than some boomers walking around the Capitol.
caf_elections
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 2.09

P
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 05:47:28 PM »

Is this the best bait the left is capable of?

You are comparing convicted drug dealers and murderers to people who were standing in a building they weren't allowed to.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2024, 05:51:52 PM »

January 6
vs

Ah so now the Jan 6 criminals are less of a threat than "other" criminals, got it.

Literally yes? If I was walking down the street and I walked past a 50-year-old who'd stormed the Capitol on January 6th vs. a 20-year-old gang member, I know which one I'd be more scared of.
The J6 guys crimes were involving trying to end our 300 year democracy how the hell does that not impact your daily life if they were successful?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 06:43:26 PM »

You are comparing convicted drug dealers and murderers to people who were standing in a building they weren't allowed to.

Absolutely f-ck off. You do not get to whitewash what happened that day, and frame it as a rally that just got a little out of hand.

They tried to kill members of Congress, overturn the election, and overthrow the government.

Anyone who set foot in the Capitol that day, without permission, should all be in prison for life.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2024, 06:55:36 PM »

Absolutely f-ck off. You do not get to whitewash what happened that day, and frame it as a rally that just got a little out of hand.

They tried to kill members of Congress, overturn the election, and overthrow the government.

Anyone who set foot in the Capitol that day, without permission, should all be in prison for life.
You're confusing this with 9/11, which I'm sure you had a hand in. Trump said there were people on the rooftops celebrating in Newark, and we all know you were one of them!
This snarky reply makes no sense seeing as what Ferguson said is both unobjectionably correct and also something you legitimately wanted to happen in real time
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2024, 07:03:14 PM »

You're confusing this with 9/11, which I'm sure you had a hand in. Trump said there were people on the rooftops celebrating in Newark, and we all know you were one of them!
This snarky reply makes no sense seeing as what Ferguson said is both unobjectionably correct and also something you legitimately wanted to happen in real time
If I wanted some kind of coup to succeed on January 6th, it'd have been nice then to know what the end game was. I still don't get what the end game was, other than to yell "rabble rabble rabble!" and raise a lot of hell.

"We" (I wasn't there, but whatever) chased Mike Pence home. Ok. Then what? How would Trump have managed to hold on from there? What was the next step? If you're going to accuse people of participating in a coup, you ought to, you know, have a clearly defined event to call a coup.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2024, 07:04:25 PM »

The most appropriate analogy, jokes about Ferguson being the 20th hijacker aside, is actually the Reichstag fire.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2024, 07:11:42 PM »

If I wanted some kind of coup to succeed on January 6th, it'd have been nice then to know what the end game was. I still don't get what the end game was, other than to yell "rabble rabble rabble!" and raise a lot of hell.

"We" (I wasn't there, but whatever) chased Mike Pence home. Ok. Then what? How would Trump have managed to hold on from there? What was the next step? If you're going to accuse people of participating in a coup, you ought to, you know, have a clearly defined event to call a coup.
To prevent the certification of the election so then state legislatures would send new slant of electors to award stays to Trump so he could stay in office. Like is this a bad faith routine or are you legitimately forgetting that they spelled out weeks and even months in advance what the idea was
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2024, 07:13:26 PM »

To prevent the certification of the election so then state legislatures would send new slant of electors to award stays to Trump so he could stay in office. Like is this a bad faith routine or are you legitimately forgetting that they spelled out weeks and even months in advance what the idea was
That would require evidence of fraud. Which you have consistently said there was none of.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2024, 07:18:15 PM »

That would require evidence of fraud. Which you have consistently said there was none of.
They managed to convince the entire Republicans base and posters like Fuzzy of fraud without evidence doubt they would care about convincing anyone else if J6 was successful
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2024, 07:48:09 PM »

Chase Pence out of D.C., reopen the count with a GOP Senator presiding that agrees to either:

A) Throw out the 6 contested states entirely, creating a no majority situation that likely works out in Trump's favor.
B) Remand the 6 contested states to the state legislatures in hopes of spurring a new slate of electors more favorable to Trump
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2024, 08:27:00 PM »

"So what if I pointed a gun at the teller and demanded a huge stack of money? I can't actually be guilty of bank robbery because there's no way I would ever actually gotten out of there with all the money!"
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2024, 09:11:08 PM »

The most appropriate analogy, jokes about Ferguson being the 20th hijacker aside, is actually the Reichstag fire.
Closest we've ever seen Fuzzy admit Trump is guilty
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies