Trump: "If I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:32:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trump: "If I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump: "If I don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath."  (Read 1852 times)
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2024, 10:20:16 AM »
« edited: March 17, 2024, 10:26:59 AM by Dan the Roman »

If Trump wins a large part of the reason why will be that voters ignored any deterioration since 2020 because it has been met if not exceeded by the increased derangement of anti Trump coverage in the media.

This thread is debating the wrong topic. Everyone has now agreed or conceded this story is fake. So the operative question should be not whether it's justified to lie or there is some fallback about appropriate tone, but whether this is effective.  And I think it's not.

Warnings about Trump and Democracy had a process component behind them in November 2022. If the question is what has changed from the midterms until now, well

1. Coverage of what Trump and his chosen candidates actually are saying has been replaced by commentators ranting about Trump to their self-selected audiences.  NBC won't even carry his speeches meaning on primary nights we had the spectacle of panels discussing the reaction to speeches the audience didn't even see. So these attacks are reduced to the credibility of talking heads.

2. A focus on procedural things Trump could do and how they could cause chaos has been replaced with screaming about absurdities "bloodbath" and "dicatorship". Seriously, Trump was President for four years. These are not credible, and if they are, you need help. They only servce to discredit the people pushing them.

3. In the absence of serious coverage of either Trump's wider deterioration(only possible by showing his speeches in full, not in 30 second clips) or Project 2025, the anti-Trump messaging has descended into a grift for MSNBC wine moms.

I think it is significant that the voters who would be most receptive to serious coverage of Trump's age/policy- young voters upset with Biden, are the ones Democrts are having the most trouble reaching with this messaging because they are the least likely to find freakouts over out of context clips persuasive.

But yeah, keep pushing this. Maybe the polls are wrong. But, who, precisely is this aimed at? Even partisans here admit it is BS rage bait. Which means it's either aimed at existing partisans or people partisans consider to be idiots. And treating voters like idiots worked wonders in 2016.

I also don't think this is going to be as effective as the Biden team thinks with former Romney Rs. They were subject to a vicious defamation campaign in 2012(binders full of women?) and I am seeing the current discourse serving to remind them not of what they hate about Trump(his invisibility is disguising that) but what they have always hated about Democrats.

So circling back, who is this stuff supposed to be aimed at?

Young voters upset over Gaza who are socially media savvy and invested in disproving the establishment line?

Suburban/College Republicans who lived through Trump and are sick of the circus, but also wish Democrats would government?

People concerned about crime/immigration?

Frankly Dobbs and abortion is probably the strongest line but it's drowned out by this nonsense
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2024, 11:52:23 AM »

Yeah sorry, Trump doesn't get a pass on context here - thats politics. Not only that, but even though he said this in the middle of an anecdote about the auto industry, it still feels like something that a) has nothing to do with the auto industry, the way he says it doesn't really connect to that and b) why would anyone give him the benefit of the doubt when this phrase literally lines up with the entire doomsday tone to his speech?

At the end of the day, if you're a presidential candidate, there is no scenario where you should be talking about 'If i don't get elected, it's gonna be a bloodbath' in *ANY* scenario or context. You said what you said.

It is the dictionary use of the word

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/bloodbath

(figuratively, business) A large financial loss or massive layoff brought about by negative economic conditions. quotations
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2024, 11:58:52 AM »

Everyone has now agreed or conceded this story is fake.

I didn't!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2024, 12:30:13 PM »

Pence slowly moving toward Trump ?

Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2024, 01:28:19 PM »

I wouldn't read too much into it. The coverage of this incident was so badly out of context it is a chance for a whole lot of people to Sister Souhjah to the left.

So a lot of otherwise anti-Trump Rs will defend Trump here to try and gain credibility on more substantial stories.

And almost none of the centrist establishment media are going to make their stand on this story.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2024, 02:36:01 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2024, 03:15:19 PM »

He's using def 1 & 2 at the same time.
GAinDC

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2024, 03:24:05 PM »

I wouldn't read too much into it. The coverage of this incident was so badly out of context it is a chance for a whole lot of people to Sister Souhjah to the left.

So a lot of otherwise anti-Trump Rs will defend Trump here to try and gain credibility on more substantial stories.

And almost none of the centrist establishment media are going to make their stand on this story.

This is what Trump supporters signed up for by making him their nominee. Hope they enjoy explaining or defending his increasingly unhinged rhetoric for the next 8 months.

To think that Biden, the Dems and the media wouldn’t call out this choice of words is absurd. I guess only Trump is allowed to use people’s words against them..
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2024, 03:29:10 PM »

This is what Trump supporters signed up for by making him their nominee. Hope they enjoy explaining or defending his increasingly unhinged rhetoric for the next 8 months.

To think that Biden, the Dems and the media wouldn’t call out this choice of words is absurd. I guess only Trump is allowed to use people’s words against them..

I have no issue with what they are doing today. Nor should any Republican. Because that isn't what is happening. The people being called out right now, as in the last 3-4 hours, are those pushing this story including Pelosi, who are now being hammered by a host of anti-Trump centrist/media figures for spreading "a lie" "misinformation" and being "embarrassing".

Trump will say plenty of embarrassing things. He almost certainly said plenty at the Ohio event. But this story is currently backfiring, and there are obvious reasons why it is doing so. Ones Democrats might want to pay attention to going forward.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2024, 04:27:42 PM »

Meh, this statement is vague enough to where I don't think it's that much to object to. I'm sure he means this in the worst way possible, yet maybe I'm just numb to Trump's horrors, as many other Americans are.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2024, 05:01:04 PM »

So many Republicans have really deluded themselves into thinking this. This is one of the first times the press has *actually* covered one of Trump's insane statements; and suddenly now people are twisting themselves into pretzels into thinking that this will benefit Trump somehow. Whatever context he said it in, it adds into his entire theme of this election. This just goes along with everything else he's been saying, there is no benefit of the doubt here.

Also, the fact that people who are this into politics are shocked that a soundbite was used against someone after using it - are you new? Doesn't matter what context Trump said it in, if you say an asinine comment, you're going to get coverage for it.

Spare me the context argument when no one decided to listen to the rest of Hillary Clinton's comment in 2016 outside of 'basket of deplorables'
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2024, 05:05:08 PM »

So many Republicans have really deluded themselves into thinking this. This is one of the first times the press has *actually* covered one of Trump's insane statements; and suddenly now people are twisting themselves into pretzels into thinking that this will benefit Trump somehow. Whatever context he said it in, it adds into his entire theme of this election. This just goes along with everything else he's been saying, there is no benefit of the doubt here.

Also, the fact that people who are this into politics are shocked that a soundbite was used against someone after using it - are you new? Doesn't matter what context Trump said it in, if you say an asinine comment, you're going to get coverage for it.

Spare me the context argument when no one decided to listen to the rest of Hillary Clinton's comment in 2016 outside of 'basket of deplorables'

The polls are enabling Trump but we still have to vote, but the Filibuster is at stake that's why Ds have to win. It's a shame that Rs wantta to hold onto the Filibuster. That's why users keep saying the S is gone for Ds because of the Filibuster and a Brown and Tester are holding on
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2024, 05:08:15 PM »

There are loosely three groups

1. Trump is dangerous - no one in this group is even considering Trump and doubtful anyone in it has voted Republican since 2020, and those who voted Republican before are a very small and elite set. This group agrees with you but they agreed before this statement.

2. Trump is unstable/corrupt/ineffective - this group thinks Trump is obsessed with grievances,  deteriorating rapidly. Their view is Trump allowed himself to go with whatever the last person to speak with him said for four years and are pessimistic about the return. Some MAY be concerned about what Trump appointees or staff will do(Project 2025) but people here don't really think what Trump says matters because they don't think he either believes in anything or is capable of executing anything.

3. Trump/GOP base

Democratic messaging needs to target group 2. It is a waste of time to go after group 1 or 3. The problem is there are just no voters who think Trump is an evil mastermind and are considering voting for him or Republicans. There are, however, voters who think he is ineffective/corrupt/incompetent who are.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2024, 05:09:16 PM »

As others have pointed out, why storm the US Capitol when you can storm the state legislative capitals to prevent Dem electors from assembling and casting electoral votes on the day the EC meets? Are they really going to be able to defend all 22 or 23 or however many states Biden wins' state capitals?

It wouldn't need to be that many, just a few swing states. There's no way anybody could get away with preventing the cerification of a Biden win in California for example, so why even try?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2024, 06:03:51 PM »

Turns out when you're a presidential candidate who has a history of stirring up violence, people take notice when you say there's going to be a bloodbath!

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2024, 06:04:17 PM »

For all the bloodbath truthers:

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2024, 06:14:55 PM »

An hour ago on Capehart's show, Biden's deputy campaign manager reiterated that the comments are not taken out of context and that we should take Trump seriously when he says things like this. And later in the interview he (somewhat flippantly) said that Trump is inciting violence while Biden is working for the American people. I'm glad the campaign isn't backing down on this.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2024, 06:21:33 PM »

An hour ago on Capehart's show, Biden's deputy campaign manager reiterated that the comments are not taken out of context and that we should take Trump seriously when he says things like this. And later in the interview he (somewhat flippantly) said that Trump is inciting violence while Biden is working for the American people. I'm glad the campaign isn't backing down on this.

It's pretty ironic that people are trying to say "oh no, the context!" as if that makes it any better. This particular person literally fomented an insurrection on our capitol after saying the election was stolen. There is no context where what he said is okay - and doesn't align with the *context* of Donald Trump himself the last 8 years.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2024, 06:36:13 PM »

Donald Trump is a danger to the United States and is unfit to serve.

There is no reason to condone or endorse his behavior.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2024, 07:02:08 PM »

Let's see how this plays out, but I don't see much evidence of concern from Republican elected officials about this incident. That is usually a good indication of whether they believe it to be a liability.

Biden trumpeting isn't because it is an excellent way to shake down #resistance fundraising dollars.

Odds are it is a short cycle anyway.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2024, 09:32:02 PM »

I'm not enthusiastic about Trump at all, but it's obvious from the clip OP posted (even though the context was deliberately edited out of the video) that with the term "bloodbath" Trump didn't mean to "incite violence" but simply means a Biden re-election would be very bad for the country policy-wise. Sounds like he was connecting it to the car industry or something like that immediately afterwards, but that was edited out.

So what? He used violent terminology and it's being used against him. That's politics, get over it.
"We lie, openly in fact, to win." - Dr. Scholl
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2024, 11:56:51 PM »

I'm not enthusiastic about Trump at all, but it's obvious from the clip OP posted (even though the context was deliberately edited out of the video) that with the term "bloodbath" Trump didn't mean to "incite violence" but simply means a Biden re-election would be very bad for the country policy-wise. Sounds like he was connecting it to the car industry or something like that immediately afterwards, but that was edited out.

So what? He used violent terminology and it's being used against him. That's politics, get over it.
"We lie, openly in fact, to win." - Dr. Scholl

Says the guy whose candidate is running on the lie that the 2020 election was stolen.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2024, 12:57:54 PM »

How did meta-commentary about this line become such a focus? We are reacting to a speech in which Trump also claimed:

(1) that "crime is way down" throughout the world because countries from every continent are sending us their drug dealers, murderers, and gangsters
(2) that he could solve the Red Sea crisis in one phone call
(3) "Joe Biden is throwing Granny off the cliff to fund welfare, healthcare, and free housing for illegal aliens"
(4) that illegal immigrants will bankrupt Medicare and Social Security
(5) that "nobody comes close" to experiencing the persecution that he has personally experienced, including Abraham Lincoln ("in all fairness he did have a civil war")
(6) that Russia would not have invaded Ukraine if he had been re-elected
(7) "virtually 100 percent of the jobs under Biden have gone to foreign-born workers"

That's just my personal top seven. I'm sure that most people reading this thread could dive into the transcript and pick out more examples just as easily.

People need to step away from reacting to inconsequential punditry and social media buzz, and focus on what the candidates and their direct surrogates are actually saying. It's not as much fun, but it's a lot more informative.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2024, 01:45:34 PM »

Trump is a master of "say something that can be interpreted in a very negative and violent way by those who like that, but with enough ambiguity and plausible deniability that people who don't like violent rhetoric can view it differently." Eight years in and America still falls for it every time. He knows exactly what he's doing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2024, 02:38:59 PM »

Trump is a master of "say something that can be interpreted in a very negative and violent way by those who like that, but with enough ambiguity and plausible deniability that people who don't like violent rhetoric can view it differently." Eight years in and America still falls for it every time. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Its called Enabling we learn that in psychiatry that enabling helps one to assert their authority and my mom enabled my sister to do what she did to me as dirty.

Thats what Narcissists do is enable their followers to do things they want
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies