Should Hillary have embraced 90s nostalgia more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:00:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Should Hillary have embraced 90s nostalgia more?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should Hillary have embraced 90s nostalgia more?  (Read 442 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2024, 03:50:26 PM »

Maybe have 90s singers speak at her convention?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 03:56:40 PM »

She should have selected a midwestern VP.
90s nostalgia? Hillary Clinton run in a different platform from what Bill supported in the 1990s, especially on social issues like inmigration or crime.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 04:01:04 PM »

Nah. In 2016 the Nineties meant Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, strict crime bills, etc. It was a “backwards” era marked by white privilege. I would argue the SJW wing of the party had a lot more sway in 2016 because economic pressures weren’t as dominant.

Nineties nostalgia would work much better today because Millennials who grew up during that era of prosperity remember it fondly but know, now, that the American Dream their parents enjoyed is dead. I don’t think that realization was as widespread eight years ago. Run on radical change to bring back what Millennials expected and deserve, and I think you’ve got a winning message. It’s why Poillievre is doing so well in Canada. His message is right even if his policies aren’t.

But back in 2016 people who felt the squeeze (at least people who were more inclined to vote for Democrats) still mostly believed that their economic malaise was residual from the last recession. Temporary. Now we see it’s just the new normal: A feature, not a bug, of late-term capitalism. And we’re frustrated. I mean, look at it this way: BLM is barely even talked about in the news because people are just so out of patience with the economic system instead. Today, even though they’d never say it, I think the most far-left progressives would take a wholesale trade between 1996 and 2024. What I mean is, they’d compromise on the social politics and throw SJW concerns under the bus in exchange for the real hope of the 90s. That means a Democrat can run on this vision without blowback where Hillary Clinton absolutely could not have.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 11:46:54 AM »

The original plan for 2016 was to have a 1992 redux:  Bush vs Clinton on the campaign trail and Jurassic World in theaters!
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 08:47:59 PM »

The original plan for 2016 was to have a 1992 redux:  Bush vs Clinton on the campaign trail and Jurassic World in theaters!

Except Jurassic World came out in 2015. Another 90s blockbuster, Independence Day, got a sequel in 2016, but unlike Jurassic World, it wasn't successful.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 08:03:03 AM »

Maybe have 90s singers speak at her convention?
Like Carrie Brownstein?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies