Have you ever been to a jazz club?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:40:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever been to a jazz club?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you ever been to a jazz club?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Have you ever been to a jazz club?  (Read 194 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2024, 09:44:12 AM »

There's one in Minneapolis and one in Fridley not too far away up the road...but of course not, LOL.

Like this place looks just awful: https://www.dakotacooks.com

-Too expensive....and I've never heard of anyone they have booked coming up.
-F[inks]ing garbage layout, all seated(!), and not even friendly to odd-numbered groups attending shows (very common) because it's mostly two to a table, probably intended for couples but lots of odd numbered groups of people go to shows! But regardless...THAT MEANS YOU CAN'T MOSH OR DANCE OR CROWD SURF WTF
-Their food menu prices are ridiculous.
-So are their drink prices although to be fair that's basically the same as venues with emo bands. But no THC drinks?
-Their FAQ states "Do you have a dress code? We do not enforce a dress code. Business casual attire is typical." LOL. Who the hell goes to a show not wearing a band shirt?

This place looks just awful. What's weird is their Google Reviews are mostly positive....but I'm definitely not setting foot in this place lol.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 03:47:52 PM »

It's a different culture. It's supposed to be fancy, more like a half-step down from classical rather than a rock concert. But yeah I went to Snug Harbor once in New Orleans which is pretty comparable to the Dakota. Also other jazz concerts or restaurants where jazz musicians were playing. It's pretty much my favorite genre!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 06:26:35 PM »

Yes! An underground one no less.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 03:53:18 AM »

Yeah.

Cave 54 in Heidelberg.

Technically a "student jazz club", with a rich history of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong--but nowadays Depeche Mode and the Rolling Stones. 

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 03:50:17 PM »

Surprised the "yes" is that lopsided.

Especially with this admission:
Come to think of it Capra are pretty awesome, they're from Lafayette, not New Orleans but still Louisiana. But still nothing compared to Kentucky's output. And no one is seriously going to argue that Capra is better than Knocked Loose, come on.

Comments like this - "obscure emo band from Kentucky is better than even more obscure emo bands from Louisiana, therefore Kentucky has more music and culture than Louisiana, I do not acknowledge the existence of jazz" - are why you get people calling your music opinions racist.

1-Neither Knocked Loose or Capra is emo. (LMAO)
2-Knocked Loose is not obscure.
3-There's a Hispanic guy in Knocked Loose.
4-There's a notable jazz club here, which I complained about as you can see because it sounds like a lousy music venue, but anyway based on all the pics I've seen of the crowds inside it's far whiter than the venues I go to.
5-Who on Talk Elections/Atlas talks about jazz? I never see it mentioned when music comes up. In fact I think this is the first time you've ever mentioned jazz.

Switch "emo" for "metalcore / hardcore punk" in my post then. I don't listen to much jazz and it's true I hardly talk about it here (did I never mention going to a Gino Paoli concert where he was accompanied by jazz pianist Danilo Rea?), and you're right it seldom comes up on the forum, but that doesn't mean I ignore it or its cultural importance. Also that thread is hilariously absurd, but I guess I can't expect anything different from you.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 09:08:41 PM »

I don't know if it would be considered a "jazz club," but there's a venue in Chapel Hill that has weekly jazz nights which I go to when I have the chance. It's a lot of fun.

BRTD, you might actually quite like it -- it's very cool and alternative. There hasn't been moshing when I've gone but it doesn't impossible to imagine.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 09:51:18 PM »

I don't know if it would be considered a "jazz club," but there's a venue in Chapel Hill that has weekly jazz nights which I go to when I have the chance. It's a lot of fun.

BRTD, you might actually quite like it -- it's very cool and alternative. There hasn't been moshing when I've gone but it doesn't impossible to imagine.
Is there any emo bands ever booked there? And do people actually dress up on those "jazz nights"?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 09:54:32 PM »

Yes, many times actually. My favorite was the Village Vanguard.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 10:30:51 PM »

Is there any emo bands ever booked there? And do people actually dress up on those "jazz nights"?

No dressing up, but I can't speak to the emo. Here's their pretty barebones site.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies