Biden administration planning to deschedule marijuana?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:47:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden administration planning to deschedule marijuana?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden administration planning to deschedule marijuana?  (Read 1167 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2024, 04:39:50 PM »

But I was told that Biden would never do this...

He didn’t legalize it. For people in illegal states, nothing will change.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2024, 04:44:21 PM »

And boof/D8 remains the only option for us Texans for the foreseeable future.

Obviously a good move, if yawn inducing, considering he had years to do this. This really should've been the first thing he did, and then getting around to legalization/de-criminalization of sorts by now.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2024, 04:46:11 PM »

Buy online from 3chi and HC8, not as good as the real stuff but pretty close and they are at least reputable brands with legit labs.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2024, 06:23:22 PM »

I didn't say that he legalized it. I was told that Biden would not deschedule marijuana, and yet, here we are.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2024, 06:30:48 PM »

I didn't say that he legalized it. I was told that Biden would not deschedule marijuana, and yet, here we are.

He didn't deschedule marijuana, it is being rescheduled to schedule 3.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2024, 06:33:11 PM »

It IS a drug so it should be scheduled in some way. There are people who shouldn’t use. It IS a drug, not say, a pretzel.

He also can’t legalize it on his own, by the time the COVID hoopla was over he didn’t have control of Congress and there’s enough old coots there that it’s likely Congress wouldn’t have legalized it anyways.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2024, 06:39:46 PM »

Obviously a good move, if yawn inducing, considering he had years to do this. This really should've been the first thing he did, and then getting around to legalization/de-criminalization of sorts by now.
Why should D8 be illegal and marijuana not though? Why can't just both be legal?
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 06:48:14 PM »

Why should D8 be illegal and marijuana not though? Why can't just both be legal?

I dont' believe D8 should be illegal at all, or even that it's always a bad product. It just unfortunately comes with a lot of shady business practices in unregulated states, and yeah I know we disagree on this topic in particular BRTD but that's just what I've seen here in Texas versus when I use to live in Oregon, for instance.

Overall I think we both agree on the largest thing: Legalization is the end goal, I just think that the Texas GOP is going to make this into a canard until the end of time. Hell, I could see the Deep South legalizing before us just because Texas is viewed as a 'last-stand' state by a lot of Conservatives.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2024, 06:49:19 PM »

It IS a drug so it should be scheduled in some way. There are people who shouldn’t use. It IS a drug, not say, a pretzel.

He also can’t legalize it on his own, by the time the COVID hoopla was over he didn’t have control of Congress and there’s enough old coots there that it’s likely Congress wouldn’t have legalized it anyways.

Ethanol is a drug. Caffeine is a drug. What is and isn't culturally a 'drug' is less about the actual biological substance, and more about the cultural history and judgement around that substance.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 07:03:13 PM »

I dont' believe D8 should be illegal at all, or even that it's always a bad product. It just unfortunately comes with a lot of shady business practices in unregulated states, and yeah I know we disagree on this topic in particular BRTD but that's just what I've seen here in Texas versus when I use to live in Oregon, for instance.

Overall I think we both agree on the largest thing: Legalization is the end goal, I just think that the Texas GOP is going to make this into a canard until the end of time. Hell, I could see the Deep South legalizing before us just because Texas is viewed as a 'last-stand' state by a lot of Conservatives.
That sounds like those really f[inks]ing stupid imbeciles on Reddit who insisted that Minnesota would be the last state to legalize marijuana because we can't buy alcohol in grocery stores without going through a separate entrance...yes, seriously. And thus at some point we'd have to bring it in from Wisconsin because their Republicans are more pro-weed than our Democrats there supposedly.

Of course Texas is a much more logical state for that than Minnesota...do you at least agree that anyone who predicted that is an absolute brain dead imbecilic moron and thus said people are absolute trash not worth taking seriously on anything? But ignoring that...what makes Republicans in states like Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi that would hold far larger majorities actually friendly to do this and not Texas?
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2024, 07:09:03 PM »

That sounds like those really f[inks]ing stupid imbeciles on Reddit who insisted that Minnesota would be the last state to legalize marijuana because we can't buy alcohol in grocery stores without going through a separate entrance...yes, seriously. And thus at some point we'd have to bring it in from Wisconsin because their Republicans are more pro-weed than our Democrats there supposedly.

Of course Texas is a much more logical state for that than Minnesota...do you at least agree that anyone who predicted that is an absolute brain dead imbecilic moron and thus said people are absolute trash not worth taking seriously on anything? But ignoring that...what makes Republicans in states like Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi that would hold far larger majorities actually friendly to do this and not Texas?

My 'Good' in that thread was about how many of those aforementioned 'shady business practices' result in a huge boom of unregulated smokeshops selling gas-station products in unregulated states in place of legalized dispensaries with lab-tested products that are what they say they are, not pre-made carts that 90% of the time are made to fool young adults who don't know any better and are sold at a 150-200% markup.

And also, a little, to trigger you. I won't deny that, lol.

I don't know why you want to turn this into a discussion about why you believe the GOP is all so eager to legalize cannabis now? Honestly, I'd love to be proven wrong on this. So hopefully you are right.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2024, 07:14:47 PM »

My 'Good' in that thread was about how many of those aforementioned 'shady business practices' result in a huge boom of unregulated smokeshops selling gas-station products in unregulated states in place of legalized dispensaries with lab-tested products that are what they say they are, not pre-made carts that 90% of the time are made to fool young adults who don't know any better and are sold at a 150-200% markup.

That is very far from the entirety of D8 sold and the only places that sell them. Also "150-200% markup" is basically what dispensaries in Illinois are pricing anyway.

I don't know why you want to turn this into a discussion about why you believe the GOP is all so eager to legalize cannabis now? Honestly, I'd love to be proven wrong on this. So hopefully you are right.
I don't believe that. In fact note that's exactly what those absolute morons on Reddit were basically predicting as that would be needed for every single state bordering Minnesota/every other state in the country to legalize before Minnesota to be true. Again, do you at least agree those people are absolute completely moronic imbeciles? But for other Deep South states to legalize before Texas, that would mean some Republicans would have to be eager to do so, so a scenario where the rest of the Deep South legalizes it and Texas doesn't seems pretty unlikely to put it mildly especially since Texas has a much better chance of a D legislature in the next decade than those do.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2024, 08:00:30 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2024, 08:11:58 PM by darklordoftech »

Do you think alcohol should be scheduled?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2024, 07:30:02 AM »

If it was discovered now I’m sure it would be, the consumable form of alcohol doesn’t have any medicinal value and certainly doesn’t make anyone better.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2024, 07:35:14 AM »

Crickets from the mainstream media. I'm no fan of Biden, but young voters should be happy about this.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2024, 01:38:03 PM »

If it was discovered now I’m sure it would be, the consumable form of alcohol doesn’t have any medicinal value and certainly doesn’t make anyone better.

And what about caffeine, like I mentioned earlier? Nicotine? Would wine be a scheduled drug? Wine coolers?

You're doubling down without thinking it through.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2024, 01:40:48 PM »

as mentioned, he is claiming he is going to try and REschedule it, not DE.  RE is nowhere near as helpful as DE.  Better, agreed, but after the first two times the sheep got excited that Biden was doing something about weed when he very obviously wasn't AND the fact that we're 3 years and 4 months into his Presidency AND his LONG history of, ya know, being a mainstream square on the subject makes some of us feel he isn't quite as serious about this as you might want to think.

I'll wear a red av for a month if it is actually rescheduled a year from now.  I'll vote for Biden if it's done before the election.

Neither of those things is going to happen (because he doesn't actually care, he is just grasping at straws, trying to figure out how to get young people to vote for him...you'd think it be easy, running against Trump and mail in voting being super easy, but alas, young people are assholes, who knew?) so I'm not worried.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2024, 02:05:09 PM »

But I was told that Biden would never do this...
Considering how long its been since his inauguration, "If he was going to do that, he would have already done it" was a reasonable conclusion until yesterday.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2024, 03:00:30 PM »

Benzos are schedule 4 while weed is schedule 3, what a joke. It's better than schedule 1, but it's obvious Biden did the bare minimum he could could still claiming credit and attempting to relive pressure for further action.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2024, 05:14:23 PM »

Excellent decision by President Biden!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2024, 06:06:06 PM »

Considering how long its been since his inauguration, "If he was going to do that, he would have already done it" was a reasonable conclusion until yesterday.
Not really. He ordered this in 2022. It's not his fault that it took the process this long to be completed.

Anyway, that's still goal post moving. Many people said that he would never do it and yet he did. That's the point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies