Biden administration planning to deschedule marijuana?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:34:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden administration planning to deschedule marijuana?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden administration planning to deschedule marijuana?  (Read 622 times)
dspNY
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2024, 07:52:37 AM »

VP Harris is holding a meeting at the White House to discuss this topic

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna143247
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 07:54:45 AM »

Kamala Harris will host a marijuana reform event with Fat Joe

That's pretty mean. He's in good shape and it's pretty messed up that the media would fatshame the president like this. i know who fat joe is it's just a joke
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 08:21:24 AM »

I hope it's more than the last two nothingburgers you all freaked out over, but I ain't holding my breath while these two squares are running things.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 08:45:35 AM »

More people die each year from caffeine drinks than from marijuana. Ridiculous that it's still scheduled.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 11:03:59 AM »

Sure Jan.
Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 11:07:09 AM »

I'll believe it when I see it.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 11:49:16 AM »

Didn’t Biden mention descheduling marijuana in the SOTU? I wouldn’t be surprised if it does happen this time. (Charlie Brown, football, etc.)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 11:53:41 AM »

Didn’t Biden mention descheduling marijuana in the SOTU? I wouldn’t be surprised if it does happen this time. (Charlie Brown, football, etc.)
Biden already directed HHS and the DOJ to deschedule marijuana back in 2022.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 11:59:07 AM »

I’ve been following this somewhat closely over the past few months, the issue iirc is that it isn’t solely up to the administration, the final decision rests with the DEA. Biden pretty obviously wants it descheduled, it would be an enormous political win for him, but the feds are pushing back. It will for sure be at least rescheduled, but I won’t hold my breath on cannabis coming off the schedule entirely. But if Joe actually gets this done, I would take back every bad thing I ever said about him, it would be huge.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 04:26:37 PM »

Hopefully, it's the least that should be done as far as drug policy reforms go.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 05:18:23 PM »

Of course they'd schedule this for the election year. Smart play if true.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 06:32:09 PM »

It's more than apparent that his campaign knows what they're doing, it's just a matter of how receptive Americans are going to be.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 07:16:22 PM »

I’ve been following this somewhat closely over the past few months, the issue iirc is that it isn’t solely up to the administration, the final decision rests with the DEA. Biden pretty obviously wants it descheduled, it would be an enormous political win for him, but the feds are pushing back. It will for sure be at least rescheduled, but I won’t hold my breath on cannabis coming off the schedule entirely. But if Joe actually gets this done, I would take back every bad thing I ever said about him, it would be huge.

I read about that recently. WSJ usually has a paywall but this sums it up:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/dea-officials-reportedly-at-odds-with-biden-admin-over-marijuana-rescheduling-push/

Officials with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) are reportedly resisting calls to reschedule marijuana, creating tension with the White House as President Joe Biden continues to tout his role in directing the cannabis review.

That’s according to an article published by The Wall Street Journal on Saturday, with the report citing “people familiar with the matter” who say certain DEA officials are disputing scientific findings from the U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) that led it to recommend moving marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

Some advocates and stakeholders have challenged the reporting, questioning the possible motivations of the anonymous sources. DEA has only publicly said that it is carrying out its review after receiving the HHS recommendation, without taking a specific position.

In any case, the report says that the DEA officials are unconvinced by the health agency’s conclusion that cannabis hold certain medical value, and they’re concerned about issues related to increased THC potency.

That's believable to me, IMO. It's one reason I don't think they should have a say in it to begin with. They are an enforcement agency with a lurid central role in the War on Drugs. What should we expect from them? There is a more fundamental question here - that the government should not be banning something that isn't particularly harmful or addictive, and that the vast majority of the population wants to be legal.

Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 07:34:36 PM »

Probably waiting for 4/20 to announce.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 08:27:19 PM »

In contrast with Trump who said that drug dealers should be executed, this is a good move.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 08:32:16 PM »

Imagine banning a plant that grows naturally from Mother Earth. 

Y'all need the Jeebus.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 08:56:43 PM »

indeed, that's how you can tell these people are doing this for the wrong reasons and just want to appear to be trying, they don't actually want or expect to change anything.
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Biden the boss of the DEA?  It's part of the DoJ, correct?  A Federal agency, part of the President's Cabinet.

I bet this entire things ends because "whelp, the 'feds' said no guys, I really wanted to do something here, but gosh, those 'feds' just won't let me...so you have to vote for me so I can finally be in position to do something about those 'feds'" and that will be enough for a certain class of dim bulb.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2024, 12:47:20 AM »

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/dea-officials-reportedly-at-odds-with-biden-admin-over-marijuana-rescheduling-push/

Officials with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) are reportedly resisting calls to reschedule marijuana, creating tension with the White House as President Joe Biden continues to tout his role in directing the cannabis review.

That’s according to an article published by The Wall Street Journal on Saturday, with the report citing “people familiar with the matter” who say certain DEA officials are disputing scientific findings from the U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) that led it to recommend moving marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

Some advocates and stakeholders have challenged the reporting, questioning the possible motivations of the anonymous sources. DEA has only publicly said that it is carrying out its review after receiving the HHS recommendation, without taking a specific position.

In any case, the report says that the DEA officials are unconvinced by the health agency’s conclusion that cannabis hold certain medical value, and they’re concerned about issues related to increased THC potency.

That's believable to me, IMO. It's one reason I don't think they should have a say in it to begin with. They are an enforcement agency with a lurid central role in the War on Drugs. What should we expect from them? There is a more fundamental question here - that the government should not be banning something that isn't particularly harmful or addictive, and that the vast majority of the population wants to be legal.

Can't Biden fire the administrator of the DEA? If she's resisting rescheduling marijuana then she should be fired on the spot, no hesitation, so if Biden has the power to do that and the DEA still ends up getting in the way of this then I will have no sympathy for the Biden administration.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 02:46:34 PM »

Can't Biden fire the administrator of the DEA? If she's resisting rescheduling marijuana then she should be fired on the spot, no hesitation, so if Biden has the power to do that and the DEA still ends up getting in the way of this then I will have no sympathy for the Biden administration.
Much was made at the time of the fact that while in 2001, the Republicans fired the Senate Parliamentarian in a 50-50 Senate they held the Vice-Presidency in, the Democrats did not do so in an identical situation in 2021.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies