South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem Slapped With Lawsuit Over Bizarre Video Promoting Texas Dentist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:12:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem Slapped With Lawsuit Over Bizarre Video Promoting Texas Dentist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem Slapped With Lawsuit Over Bizarre Video Promoting Texas Dentist  (Read 630 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2024, 11:48:20 PM »

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) caused a stir on social media Tuesday when she posted a video promoting a Texas dentist, catching the attention of an advocacy group that has now filed a lawsuit against her, alleging the video was a false and deceptive advertisement.

The nearly five-minute video was posted to Noem’s Facebook, Instagram (including Stories and Reels), X (formerly Twitter), and Truth Social accounts, and features Noem describing how she had knocked out several teeth during a bicycling accident several years ago, and had been unhappy with how they had been fixed, until she went to Smile Texas and they were “absolutely phenomenal” and “finally gave me a smile that I can be proud of and confident in.”
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 12:06:52 AM »

My Rolex-wearing infomercial queen Purple heart
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 12:18:08 AM »

Looks like Britt and Noem are off Trump's VP list within a week. Only realistic woman pick left is Stefanik now.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 12:31:50 AM »

Looks like Britt and Noem are off Trump's VP list within a week. Only realistic woman pick left is Stefanik now.

Why would this take Noem out of contention? Sure, it's an unseemly and quite possibly illegal hustle. If anything, I'd think that would boost her approval with Donald. And if RepublicanMAGA voters don't care about his crimes, why should they care about hers?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 06:10:32 AM »

Why did she go all the way to Texas for a dentist? Are there no good dentists in South Dakota?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 06:36:46 AM »

Why did she go all the way to Texas for a dentist? Are there no good dentists in South Dakota?

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 07:26:40 AM »

SD had a chance to oust her they didn't she's corrupted
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 05:02:24 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2024, 05:05:41 PM by Electric Circus »

The woman has had a lot of work done. It's increasingly common in politics, and in the Trump-era Republican Party, it's all but a requirement.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 07:45:57 PM »

Are there really enough Texans who live close by to this dentist would be swayed by Noem's endorsement to begin with?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 08:37:47 PM »

Reality is stranger than fiction.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 09:10:43 PM »

Now she's doing a promo for custom shoe inserts.

Someone needs to pull her financial disclosures. If she's buckraking off these sorts of promos, she may be breaking state laws. If she isn't, well, that's honestly even worse - just tacky.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 09:20:49 PM »

That's probably damage control for promoting a business out of state. It's definitely a bad idea for elected officials to endorse products or businesses. We already know she has no ethics after how she had someone fired for not giving her daughter a state contract.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 09:23:37 PM »

I bet she was hot in her mid-20s.

Just sayin'
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 10:07:37 PM »

1 out of 50 governors recommend Smile Texas to keep your teeth looking clean and healthy.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 10:11:59 PM »

Now she's doing a promo for custom shoe inserts.

Someone needs to pull her financial disclosures. If she's buckraking off these sorts of promos, she may be breaking state laws. If she isn't, well, that's honestly even worse - just tacky.

LOL if Kristi Noem was wearing a band shirt instead of a blouse in that video and had some tattoos on her arms I could TOTALLY see her going into the mosh pit at a show I'm at.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 10:17:02 PM »

Why would this take Noem out of contention? Sure, it's an unseemly and quite possibly illegal hustle. If anything, I'd think that would boost her approval with Donald. And if RepublicanMAGA voters don't care about his crimes, why should they care about hers?

I think the problem isn't that she's doing this really bizarre ad, it's that this really bizarre ad involves ultra close up 4K resolution shots of her gums. That's super gross and not what Trump would think suits his image.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 10:21:51 PM »

Are there really enough Texans who live close by to this dentist would be swayed by Noem's endorsement to begin with?

Sugar Land is a pretty populous (110k people) outer suburb of Houston. It's also one of the most rapidly shifting red to blue areas in the country after being basically the most Republican place on the planet for most of the late 20th/early 21st centuries (Tom DeLay's district!).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 10:27:32 PM »

I bet she was hot in her mid-20s.

Just sayin'

She's literally an ex-beauty pageant participant and was the 1990 South Dakota Snow Queen.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2024, 10:36:36 PM »

Noem looks a lot different than she did as Snow Queen.

Not ugly, but definitely not the look some of the ridiculous men who objectify women go for.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2024, 10:43:59 PM »

This raises her potential as Trump's running mate.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2024, 11:01:52 PM »

If I lived in the United States, I would much rather have my Governor appear in a Rolex advert than promote an out-of-state healthcare provider. Just saying.

FUN FACT: Joe Biden is the first American President to be seen wearing a Rolex since LBJ, who was so fond of his gold Day-Date that it remains known as "the President watch" to this day.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2024, 12:07:10 AM »

Noem looks a lot different than she did as Snow Queen.

Not ugly, but definitely not the look some of the ridiculous men who objectify women go for.

Oh my!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2024, 07:43:13 AM »

Nah, their chances should be fine. Today's Republican party prioritizes sensationalism over competence. As long as they're conventionally attractive, it doesn't matter if they both act like they were extras on The Stepford Wives.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2024, 07:49:27 AM »

1 out of 50 governors recommend Smile Texas to keep your teeth looking clean and healthy.

And it's not even the Governor of Texas 😩
White Cloud
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2024, 12:46:19 PM »

People can think what they want about the video, but what should really bother people about the way things work in America today is that a group would file a lawsuit against her first before knowing if she did receive compensation for the video.

Mediaite reached out to Lauren Wolfe, the attorney for Travelers United who filed the lawsuit. Wolfe acknowledged that she did not as of yet have the direct evidence that Noem had been paid or received free or reduced dental services in exchange for the social media posts, but there did not seem to be any other logical explanation.

We're such a litigious society now where people invoke lawyers and ask for "damages" before, you know, talking to someone first. Maybe she did receive free or reduced services, maybe she did receive money, but maybe she didn't. Find out first before you file a lawsuit. Kristi Noem is pretty open to everyone and she would probably tell you why she did it if you asked her.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies