Support for SSM drops first time in a decade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:37:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Support for SSM drops first time in a decade
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Support for SSM drops first time in a decade  (Read 585 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2024, 06:01:33 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 06:02:43 PM »

I guess that gives Republicans cover to start running on overturning Obergefell.

No, please, don't run on that!
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 06:04:14 PM »

I guess that gives Republicans cover to start running on overturning Obergefell.

Would overturning Obergefelle hurt Rs more than Roe did?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 06:11:41 PM »

Would overturning Obergefelle hurt Rs more than Roe did?

Undeniably.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 06:18:09 PM »

I’ll save anyone who wants to click the link the trouble it’s a 2% decline. Freaking clickbait
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 06:18:47 PM »

I’ll save anyone who wants to click the link the trouble it’s a 2% decline. Freaking clickbait
That's within margin of error. Easy explanation.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 06:20:02 PM »

69 to 67 percent in one year over year poll is meaningless.

Interesting that support for anti discrimination laws for gays was higher though at 76 percent. Would have thought it would be the other way around.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 06:21:27 PM »

That's within margin of error. Easy explanation.

Depending on the rounding, it's likely just outside the margin of error here.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 06:21:37 PM »

The issue is that because the Defense of Marriage Act has been formally repealed (it's been unenforceable since 2013, but now is actually repealed outright), even if Obergefell were overturned states would still have to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states, thus rendering it kind of pointless, especially with the economic consequences of being the state that challenges it in the first place. And hence...no state has even attempted to ban same-sex marriage and create a case.

That's why unlike abortion it's a settled issue.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 06:29:39 PM »

The data from PRRI’s American Values Atlas (AVA) survey found support for same-sex marriage dropped two points, from 69 percent to 67 percent, from 2022 to 2023. The last time Americans support form same-sex marriage dropped in the same survey was between 2014 and 2015, from 54 to 53 percent.

The survey also showed support for non-discrimination protections for LGBTQ people falling for the first time since 2018. Americans’ support for those protections reached a peak of 80 percent in 2022, but fell to 76 percent last year.

“Our survey shows that support for LGBTQ rights has dipped slightly from 2022 to 2023, although the vast majority of Americans continue to endorse anti-discrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans and the rights of same-sex couples to marry,” Melissa Deckman, the CEO of PRRI, said in a statement in a press release Tuesday.

“The growing partisan divide on these issues show the effect of the continuous use of LGBTQ identity and LGBTQ rights as a wedge issue in our nation’s culture wars,” Deckman continued.

A 2 point drop is fairly inconsequential considering the heat of our current 'culture wars' amping up and obviously pushing people from the middle to the poles.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 10:23:24 PM »

This is just noise. There might be a little bit of boomer backlash to rainbow corporate logos or too many gay supporting characters on TV, or whatever it is they're upset about these days, but long-term the anti-gay movement is dead in this country.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 11:10:08 PM »

It's also not the first time support has dropped. The late 70s were undeniably safer for LGBT Americans than the early 80s. Just after Obama was elected there was a small but consistent backlash too, though it obviously didn't last.

Anyways, this is noise, the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice, etc.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 12:57:23 AM »

There are a lot of celebic people out there because Of AIDs, I don't condone SSM
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 01:35:30 AM »

Who cares, we know why the birth rate is down, it has less to do with SSM and it's more to do with celebacy/abstinence due to AIDS, as I previously said

Rs whom are ant gay have it wrong, that SSM is caused of birth decline it's not, it's due to celebacy of the AIDS virus too. There are a lot of people practicing safe sex in form of celebacy than before, especially men

People say why don't you have kids, because I am practicing Celebacy due to AIDS
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 03:07:06 AM »

As with other surveys recently, a fall in Republican support is one of the key contributing factors. Some other movements (like a noticeable drop in Hispanic Catholic support) may be more margin of error stuff.

Interestingly the same survey has 24% of Gen Z identify as LGBT.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 03:45:07 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2024, 04:01:40 AM by ibagli »

69 to 67 percent in one year over year poll is meaningless.

Interesting that support for anti discrimination laws for gays was higher though at 76 percent. Would have thought it would be the other way around.

It's always been higher. The first anti-discrimination law was enacted in 1982 in Wisconsin. The problem before the Bostock decision was that discrimination was so unpopular that people thought it was already illegal nationwide.

Gallup asked "do you think gays or lesbians should or should not have equal rights as non-gays or non-lesbians in terms of job opportunities?" in 1977 and it was 56-33 that they should. Consensual relations being legal at all was only 43-43. People really don't like the idea of their bosses getting involved in this, so much so that if they had been asked about jobs first, they were way more likely to say relations between consenting adults should be legal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies