Biden Admin put DEI requirements for companies that receive money from the CHIPs Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:51:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Admin put DEI requirements for companies that receive money from the CHIPs Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden Admin put DEI requirements for companies that receive money from the CHIPs Act  (Read 491 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2024, 03:34:25 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dei-killed-chips-act-000000900.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

The Act contains 19 sections aimed at helping minority groups, including one creating a Chief Diversity Officer at the National Science Foundation and several prioritizing scientific cooperation with “MSI’s”—minority serving institutions. A section called “Opportunity and Inclusion” instructs the Department of Commerce to work with minority-owned businesses and make sure chipmakers “increase the participation of economically disadvantaged individuals in the semiconductor workforce.”

The department interprets that as license to diversify. Its factsheet “Building a Skilled and Diverse Workforce” asserts that diversity is “critical to strengthening the U.S. semiconductor ecosystem,” adding, “Critically, this must include significant investments to create opportunities for Americans from historically underserved communities.” The department does not call speed critical, although the impetus for the CHIPS Act is that 90 percent of the world’s advanced microchips are made in Taiwan, which China is preparing to annex by 2027, maybe even 2025.

Handouts abound. There’s plenty for the left—requirements that chipmakers submit detailed plans to educate, employ, and train lots of women and people of color, as rwell as “justice-involved individuals,” more commonly known as ex-cons. There’s plenty for the right—veterans and members of rural communities find their way into the typical DEI definition of minorities. There’s even plenty for the planet: Arizona Democrats just bragged they’ve won $15 million in CHIPS funding for an ASU project fighting climate change.

That’s going better for Arizona than the chips part of the CHIPS Act. Because equity is critical, the makers of humanity’s most complex technology must rely on local labor and apprentices from all those underrepresented groups, as TSMC found to its dismay. Tired of delays at its first fab, it flew in 500 employees from Taiwan, angering local workers by claiming they weren’t skilled enough. With CHIPS grants at risk, TSMC caved in December, agreeing to rely on those workers and invest more in training them. A month later, it postponed its second Arizona fab.

For instance, chipmakers have to make sure they hire plenty of female construction workers, even though only a million of the 11 million U.S. construction workers are women. They have to remove degree requirements and set “diverse hiring slate policies,” which sounds like code for quotas. They must create plans to do all this with “close and ongoing coordination with on-the-ground stakeholders.” They have to ensure childcare for female construction workers and engineers who don’t exist yet.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 03:57:57 PM »

Too much money goes into overhead, red tape, and useless quotas instead of actually improving infrastructure or manufacturing.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 03:58:31 PM »

That’s going better for Arizona than the chips part of the CHIPS Act. Because equity is critical, the makers of humanity’s most complex technology must rely on local labor and apprentices from all those underrepresented groups, as TSMC found to its dismay. Tired of delays at its first fab, it flew in 500 employees from Taiwan, angering local workers by claiming they weren’t skilled enough. With CHIPS grants at risk, TSMC caved in December, agreeing to rely on those workers and invest more in training them. A month later, it postponed its second Arizona fab.

Sooo, the only relevant part I see here other than the usual GOP wolf-call about 'muh DEI' for daring to invest in minority owned businesses is that Biden also protected 500 Arizona workers from being outsourced. Amazing.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 04:12:05 PM »

Good. Hopefully this project does not get completed until next term, then Biden can be blamed for the higher deficits while Trump gets credited when the projects get complete.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 04:15:39 PM »

Good. Hopefully this project does not get completed until next term, then Biden can be blamed for the higher deficits while Trump gets credited when the projects get complete.

You are not doing yourself any favors to dispel the notion that you’re rooting for the economy to fail when you say stuff like this.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 04:24:38 PM »

You are not doing yourself any favors to dispel the notion that you’re rooting for the economy to fail when you say stuff like this.
I would have predicted the economy getting worse in 2007 too. It does not mean that I am rooting for a recession.
First1There
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 04:31:11 PM »

I would have predicted the economy getting worse in 2007 too. It does not mean that I am rooting for a recession.

Folks, here's a story 'bout the user riverwalk
She was a red hot gloomer doomer
She was the repetitive, stubborn frail
But riverwalk had concerns as big as a whale

Hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-hi (hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-hi)
Ho-ho-ho-ho-ho (ho-ho-ho-ho-ho)
Hee-de-hee-de-hee-de-hee (hee-de-hee-de-hee-de-hee)
Hey-ey-ey (hey-ey-ey)

She messed around with a bloke named Cherry
She loved him though he was pickin’
He took her down to Hooverville
And he showed her how to sound the alarm around

Hey-ey-ey (hey-ey-ey)

She had a dream about Former Pres. Donald
He gave her things, that she was needin'
He gave her a promise of decline and fall
A free-market fail, and an economy bleedin’

Ho-di-ho-di-ho-di-oh (ho-di-ho-di-ho-di-oh)
Skip-a-bibby-goop-a-bibby-give-a-bibby, bubly-bop
(Skip-a-bibby-goop-a-bibby-give-a-bibby, bubly-bop)
Ah-brr-iggy, brr-iggy, brr-iggy, haw (ah-brr-iggy, brr-iggy, brr-iggy, haw)

He gave her his demands and message to spread
Each post was a dozen sweet nothings
She had a million dollars worth of accusations of dread
She sat around and counted them a million recommendings

Oooh (ooh)
Hey-ey-ey (hey-ey-ey)
Oh-oh, oh-oh (oh-oh, oh-oh)

Ohhh riverwalk, Ohhh riverwalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqh_KX5x3o
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 04:42:14 PM »

Sooo, the only relevant part I see here other than the usual GOP wolf-call about 'muh DEI' for daring to invest in minority owned businesses is that Biden also protected 500 Arizona workers from being outsourced. Amazing.

This is putting In requirements of who these companies must hire . Here is a quote from the article

For instance, chipmakers have to make sure they hire plenty of female construction workers, even though only a million of the 11 million U.S. construction workers are women. They have to remove degree requirements and set “diverse hiring slate policies,” which sounds like code for quotas. They must create plans to do all this with “close and ongoing coordination with on-the-ground stakeholders.” They have to ensure childcare for female construction workers and engineers who don’t exist yet.

This is an insane regulation put in that limits our ability to manufacture chips . The only string that should be attached is the minimum number of chips that need to be made and nothing else
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 05:02:54 PM »

I would have predicted the economy getting worse in 2007 too.

Even you have to realize that baselessly asserting that you would have correctly predicted the future is a fundamentally ridiculous claim no matter the context, right?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 04:13:54 PM »

This is putting In requirements of who these companies must hire . Here is a quote from the article

This is an insane regulation put in that limits our ability to manufacture chips . The only string that should be attached is the minimum number of chips that need to be made and nothing else

I'll be honest, I'm far less interested in the 'muh DEI' part of this conversation but rather what exactly are the 'skills' that TSMC can't teach to their American sourced workforce? As far as I've ever been aware the hangup is primarily with the fabricators themselves and I refuse to believe that there isn't a way to source and teach enough people in a state of 7 mi people, and not to mention I'm sure they could entice other Americans to move to AZ if they really needed a specific type of expertise.

The point of these investments should be to grow these skills here, so whatever hiccups we run into along the way the 'DEI' part of this article seems fairly spurious and considering the only thing I can find about the first author, Matt Cole, is that he also writes for the intercept (of Greenwald fame) I'm going to give it fairly little credence.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 04:17:35 PM »

I'm with Biden on this one. What's the point of creating these plants here if they are just going to be staffed by imported workers from Taiwan? Didnt we just go through a decade of remorse over the loss of manufacturing jobs? Whatever jobs are created by this should benefit Americans, and should be fairly distributed among Americans, as well. The GOP hysteria over DEI has jumped the shark.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 04:50:27 PM »

The CHIPs and Science Act was signed into law 582 days ago. Why are you complaining about it now all of the sudden like it was some Trojan horse

Guess Biden is doing so well you have to go trifling through his past accomplishments for some crumb to gripe on
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 04:58:08 PM »

I'm with Biden on this one. What's the point of creating these plants here if they are just going to be staffed by imported workers from Taiwan? Didnt we just go through a decade of remorse over the loss of manufacturing jobs? Whatever jobs are created by this should benefit Americans, and should be fairly distributed among Americans, as well. The GOP hysteria over DEI has jumped the shark.

The problem is; I guess the fact is, is that the American Education System is not turning out the type of workers we need, especially in stem fields.

Math education is terrible, plain and simple.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 05:20:08 PM »

The problem is; I guess the fact is, is that the American Education System is not turning out the type of workers we need, especially in stem fields.

Math education is terrible, plain and simple.

That is all true, but irrelevant in this particular case. There are many jobs that can only be learned by on the job training and experience. All the formal education in the world won't help because formal education, even if very good, is just there to teach you basic and theoretical knowledge. But that may be very different from practical know-how.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 05:55:58 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2024, 10:48:10 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

(to the tune of "I Will Survive"Smiley

Oh yes she was afraid, she was petrified
The TV said Joe Biden won, she shook her head and sighed
And after looking round for somewhere she could vent her woes,
Hey TalkElections,
You're 'bout to find out what she knows

Well she hates Joe
Oh, can't you see
Her posts are comedy combined with one girl's misery
Joe Biden won't give her a break
This campaign's just one big mistake
And Atlas forum's gonna hear
How many damn posts will it take?

To sink the ship
To tank the race
She dreams at night of
Tears streamin' on down Biden's face
We-ell inflation's comin' back, the market's headed for new lows
I won't shut up
I'm gonna let the forum know

I'll moan and gripe
I'll kill the hype
Oh I will keep spreading my doom as long as I know how to type
Oooh, the president is f--ked
and the economy is trash
I'm Riverwalk
I love to type
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 06:32:12 PM »

I'll be honest, I'm far less interested in the 'muh DEI' part of this conversation but rather what exactly are the 'skills' that TSMC can't teach to their American sourced workforce? As far as I've ever been aware the hangup is primarily with the fabricators themselves and I refuse to believe that there isn't a way to source and teach enough people in a state of 7 mi people, and not to mention I'm sure they could entice other Americans to move to AZ if they really needed a specific type of expertise.

The point of these investments should be to grow these skills here, so whatever hiccups we run into along the way the 'DEI' part of this article seems fairly spurious and considering the only thing I can find about the first author, Matt Cole, is that he also writes for the intercept (of Greenwald fame) I'm going to give it fairly little credence.

The point of this act is to ensure the US can produce as many semi conductors as possible domestically so we aren’t as reliant on Taiwan . It’s more of an national security issue than an economic issue and should be treated as such
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 10:32:50 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2024, 10:35:58 AM by MR DARK BRANDON »

(to the tune of "I Will Survive"Smiley

Oh yes she was afraid, she was petrified
The TV said Joe Biden won, she shook her head and sighed
And after looking round for somewhere she could vent her woes,
Hey TalkElections,
You're 'bout to find out what she knows

Well she hates Joe
Oh, can't you see