Ken Buck will resign from Congress at the end of next week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:14:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ken Buck will resign from Congress at the end of next week
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ken Buck will resign from Congress at the end of next week  (Read 725 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2024, 01:15:36 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/12/politics/ken-buck-leaving-congress-early?cid=ios_app
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 01:17:33 PM »

...and more shrinking of the GOP majority. What's the latest Polis can call a special election? He should drag it out as long as possible.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 01:18:32 PM »

Actually it just hit me this is bad news for Lauren Boebert...and possibly why Buck is resigning.

Whoever wins the special election will obviously have an edge in the primary. But that can't be Boebert because she's representing her current seat. So she'll be facing an incumbent in the primary.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 01:24:19 PM »

If he did this explicitly to screw Boebert, then this is the lone FF move in a horrible, horrible career.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 01:27:40 PM »

Actually it just hit me this is bad news for Lauren Boebert...and possibly why Buck is resigning.

Whoever wins the special election will obviously have an edge in the primary. But that can't be Boebert because she's representing her current seat. So she'll be facing an incumbent in the primary.

Boebert can always run in the special
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 01:28:17 PM »

She'd have to resign her own seat to do so. Also it appears in Colorado the party selects the candidate for a special election.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 01:34:44 PM »

She'd have to resign her own seat to do so. Also it appears in Colorado the party selects the candidate for a special election.

a CO-03 special before the november election would be delicious
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 02:36:15 PM »

So the Republican majority - at least temporary - again decreases by a seat.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 02:44:53 PM »

If he did this explicitly to screw Boebert, then this is the lone FF move in a horrible, horrible career.

Voting not to impeach Mayorkas should count for something I think.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 02:51:10 PM »

Will the party select Boebert? If so, it's possible that there could be a competitive special in CO-03. If not, it's possible that Boebert gets beaten in November by whoever the party selects. Win-win.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 03:17:07 PM »

Why would they? Like seriously I can't think of a single reason why the party would screw over their loyalist candidates also running just to anoint Boebert because "lulz, the libs will be upset."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 03:20:50 PM »

It is, shockingly, not--he is one of the ten or twenty least bad Republicans in Congress currently and has stood up to the party on several morally significant issues in the past few years. This says way more about the Republican Party than it does about Ken Buck, who's still the same misogynistic dude-ranch-mindset jerk he always was, but it is nevertheless the way the world is now.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 03:36:11 PM »

He lost Colorado Senate for the GOP 13 years ago and now he's left them short a House seat when they least can afford it. He is a real asset to his party.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 03:43:59 PM »

He lost Colorado Senate for the GOP 13 years ago and now he's left them short a House seat when they least can afford it. He is a real asset to his party.

Tired: deep-cover Lib Dem Liz Truss
Wired: deep-cover lib Dem Ken Buck
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 04:38:55 PM »

Does this put the House at the barest majority possible for Republicans? Or is my math off?
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2024, 04:40:33 PM »

Does this put the House at the barest majority possible for Republicans? Or is my math off?
Buck retiring will bring the GOP to 218 in the House. Not that the majority has been functional regardless.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2024, 06:38:23 PM »

For the moment, it's 218-213 with 4 vacancies.  Johnson can lose two defectors (if all members are present).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2024, 06:38:44 PM »

The winner:

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 12:15:06 AM »

You’re close, but a little off the mark - Buck resigning this week is the exact correct timing for the special to be held on the same day as the general primary. The special election nominees will be decided by the parties, so Buck’s timing here ensures that CO-04 GOP primary voters will see the estabilshment’s choice listed as GOP nominee on the same ballot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 12:18:34 AM »

You’re close, but a little off the mark - Buck resigning this week is the exact correct timing for the special to be held on the same day as the general primary. The special election nominees will be decided by the parties, so Buck’s timing here ensures that CO-04 GOP primary voters will see the estabilshment’s choice listed as GOP nominee on the same ballot.
So in other words someone besides Boebert.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 12:20:47 AM »

So in other words someone besides Boebert.

Yeah, I think there’s a decent chance he is doing this to screw her over.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 05:49:05 AM »

Boebert has the option to do the best thing imaginable and also resign her seat so she can run in the special.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 01:26:05 PM »

You can disagree with Buck on pretty much any issue, but at least on his way out he stated a few truthful things. The Democrats would be well advised to include his quotes in their ads. It's pretty obvious Republicans can't govern and are consumed with chaos and dysfunction. Even ridiculous how few bills this congress has passed so far.

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 01:32:40 PM »

You can disagree with Buck on pretty much any issue, but at least on his way out he stated a few truthful things. The Democrats would be well advised to include his quotes in their ads. It's pretty obvious Republicans can't govern and are consumed with chaos and dysfunction. Even ridiculous how few bills this congress has passed so far.

While I agree it's better late than never, he's been in Congress for almost 10 years and has been relevant in politics even longer than that. He could've said something a long time ago if it actually mattered that much to him. Congress did not start becoming dysfunctional recently. In fact, he rode the Tea Party wave, which helped usher in the era of dysfunctional government that was motivated by making Barack Obama's presidency a failure. If he was really honest, he would own that instead of pinning the blame on everyone else.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2024, 02:38:21 AM »

Nice going Ken Buck. Not only did Boebert get her hand-picked placeholder because of the delegates were too cowardly to unite behind a single candidate, but the candidate we got is arguably worse than Boebert herself.

Everyone who ran other than Sonnenberg and Harvey has blood on their hands.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies