Poland vs. Turkey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:49:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Poland vs. Turkey
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which country do you prefer?
Poland

Turkey

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Poland vs. Turkey  (Read 523 times)
LBJer
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2024, 11:01:28 PM »

I voted for Poland.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 02:19:49 PM »

I would both rather live in and visit Turkey. Istanbul is a deeply frustrating, but energizing city. Poland is pretty mediocre in every respect.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 02:40:34 PM »

Poland overall.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 06:52:44 PM »

On the one hand, Poland managed to oust their populist government led by a wannabe strongman last year, while Turkey did not. On the other hand, Istanbul is full of cats, but I haven't heard the same about Warsaw. Call it a wash.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 06:55:54 PM »

Nothing against Poland, but Turkey is higher on the list.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 08:09:32 PM »

On the other hand, Istanbul is full of cats, but I haven't heard the same about Warsaw.
Warsaw is actually full of p*ssies, at least in parliament.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 09:31:41 PM »

Turkey, quite easily. Not judging on politics

Just has more to offer and feels different. Nice culture esp. at the more touristic destinations and Istanbul, well, is perhaps one of the most beautiful and historically relevant cities in all of Europe aside of Rome and Paris (and maybe Vienna, Berlin & London).

I like some aspects of Poland too, but i think Turkey is a bit more unique.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 09:34:01 PM »

I would both rather live in and visit Turkey. Istanbul is a deeply frustrating, but energizing city. Poland is pretty mediocre in every respect.

The fact that it is 16 vs 4 votes, yeah, really shows this is not a European poll. Pretty sure Turkey would win on every European forum hands down. Americans really don't have any idea on what Turkey really is, since it's so far, while it is one of the most popular vacation destinations in Europe (one of the reasons why any Turkish government would be stupid to antagonize Europe since they'd bankrupt the country by alienating European travellers). Turkey generally always was more known as a more moderate or the most moderate out of the Islam countries, and historically were also very tolerant (Ottoman Empire) since if they weren't the empire wouldn't have lasted for several centuries.
LBJer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 12:49:40 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2024, 12:57:18 AM by LBJer »

The fact that it is 16 vs 4 votes, yeah, really shows this is not a European poll. Pretty sure Turkey would win on every European forum hands down. Americans really don't have any idea on what Turkey really is, since it's so far, while it is one of the most popular vacation destinations in Europe (one of the reasons why any Turkish government would be stupid to antagonize Europe since they'd bankrupt the country by alienating European travellers). Turkey generally always was more known as a more moderate or the most moderate out of the Islam countries, and historically were also very tolerant (Ottoman Empire) since if they weren't the empire wouldn't have lasted for several centuries.

I think Turkey's adamant denial of the Armenian Genocide is a problem for many people.  If German leaders, when asked about the Holocaust, said: "There were a lot of Jews who died during WWII. There were a lot of non-Jewish Germans who died during the war too.  It was a terrible time.
However, Jews were never targeted for genocide by Hitler and other Nazi leaders.  Next question?" Germany would certainly be much less respected than it is today.  

In fairness, Poland has had some issues where free expression about its history is concerned as well--particularly the law prohibiting assigning any blame for the Holocaust to Poland (the criminal provisions of this law were subsequently repealed, though).

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 02:20:49 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2024, 02:28:58 AM by LAKISYLVANIA »

I think Turkey's adamant denial of the Armenian Genocide is a problem for many people.  If German leaders, when asked about the Holocaust, said: "There were a lot of Jews who died during WWII. There were a lot of non-Jewish Germans who died during the war too.  It was a terrible time.
However, Jews were never targeted for genocide by Hitler and other Nazi leaders.  Next question?" Germany would certainly be much less respected than it is today.  

In fairness, Poland has had some issues where free expression about its history is concerned as well--particularly the law prohibiting assigning any blame for the Holocaust to Poland (the criminal provisions of this law were subsequently repealed, though).

Again, politics isn't much of a factor, though Poland hardly does much better than Turkey on that aspect too. And i'm by no means a fan of Erdogan. With regards to the denial of the Armenian genocide, many people on this forum are in denial of a genocide that is actually taking place right now, while no-one responsible for a genocide that took place more than 100 years ago is alive today... The recent displacement of the Armenians in Nagorno-Karabach matters more but the international community barely did something because we're dependant on Azerbaijan on oil after we sanctioned Russia, so we're all to blame here.

I think we can all agree Poland edges it out on politics, but it's closer / more narrow than one would think. Both nations actually have a lot in common here (or had), but Erdogan's AKP is gonna lose next election too. And in all fairness, Turkey does acknowledge a genocide in Gaza is taking place right now - Poland does not. And despite all bashing on Turkey/Erdogan, he did not object to Sweden and Finland entering NATO when it mattered. I suspect that if you ask all European government leaders the question who is more reliable: Trump or Erdogan. They would all say Erdogan. Same applies for Orban's Hungary.

But again when answering the question, politics barely is a factor in part because of the gap not being that big. Sure, islamophobia will be a big reason why Turkey would not be popular in many places but other than that, it's a very cultural-rich country (and so is Poland too, make no mistake about that), unique and has a nice mediterranean climate at their coasts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 01:53:39 PM »

Poland wins in every category except climate.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 03:23:02 PM »

Poland wins in every most categories, except especially climate.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 07:57:54 PM »

The ball
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2024, 01:43:57 AM »

Poles = kurrrrrva.  

Turks = disarmed, and sad sack conscripts.  A sharp contrast to their rather jovial Greeks.

#NATOtales
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2024, 02:21:02 PM »

Poland
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2024, 09:38:50 PM »

Poland. Though I may be biased since I have some descent from there.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2024, 05:40:49 AM »

Poland wins in every category except climate.

I think Micia and the branches of your family that hail from next to >3000m mountains will be very disappointed to hear this.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2024, 08:22:13 AM »

I'd prefer a turkey sandwich to a poland sandwich, that's for sure.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2024, 12:54:33 PM »

I'd prefer a turkey sandwich to a poland sandwich, that's for sure.

polish sausage is excellent tho..
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2024, 09:44:32 PM »

Poland to live, Turkey for vacation. Voted Poland. Obviously, Turkish food > Polish food though.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2024, 10:36:06 PM »

Poland, but neither are cracking my top 20 countries to say the least.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies