Joe Biden once again reiterates he wants a cease-fire in Gaza
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:05:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden once again reiterates he wants a cease-fire in Gaza
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joe Biden once again reiterates he wants a cease-fire in Gaza  (Read 467 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2024, 09:14:54 AM »

He keeps on saying it, but he's not screaming CEASEFIRE NOW! so those people will continue to ignore it.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 09:20:09 AM »

He also consistently remembers which party is refusing a ceasefire.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 10:24:29 AM »

He keeps on saying it, but he's not screaming CEASEFIRE NOW! so those people will continue to ignore it.

He could literally scream "ceasefire now," but because this cause has morphed into "Israel is perpetrating genocide and needs to face the consequences for it," it would mean nothing to his critics on this issue.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 10:37:06 AM »

The problem is Biden has redefined cease-fire to mean something lasting six weeks as opposed to a long term solution. If he called for a permanent cease-fire that would be good. But taking credit for that would also men admitting that all the people "screaming cease-fire now" were right.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 10:39:31 AM »

The problem is Biden has redefined cease-fire to mean something lasting six weeks as opposed to a long term solution. If he called for a permanent cease-fire that would be good. But taking credit for that would also men admitting that all the people "screaming cease-fire now" were right.

There's no such thing as a "permanent ceasefire."

Whether it's temporary or "permanent," it will last until someone breaks it again.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 10:44:34 AM »

The Ceasefire Now movement might have started as a sincere effort but has been hijacked by antisemites from both parties and Russian trolls in another attempt to sow division among Democrats.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 10:45:17 AM »

Well first of all, the technical definition of cease-fire is temporary. Any cease-fire will be temporary; it will be broken eventually too by someone. To act as if calling for a permanent cease-fire means a permanent stop will come to fruition is just unrealistic. Biden has also talked about a long-term solution (the two state solution)

The goal posts keep moving: now it's not good enough he wants a cease-fire because we need a 'permanent cease-fire' (again, not the definition of the word and also just unrealistic in this region)

The people who are upset with him need to just be honest at this point and admit that they want him to snap his fingers and the decades-long conflict to instantly be solved, b/c it's clear they'll be okay with nothing less.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 10:57:05 AM »

Do people calling for an immediate permanent ceasefire realize that Israel currently occupies most of Gaza? Or do they not realize that a ceasefire does not automatically entail Israeli withdrawal? Really, the only scenarios where Israel leaves Gaza are either 1) A unilateral decision from Israel to do so (seems unlikely, but not impossible) 2) Hamas militarily defeating Israel (pretty much impossible) or 3) An agreement between Israel and Hamas where Hamas gives major concessions to Israel in exchange for an Israeli withdrawal (also seems extremely unlikely, but weirder things have happened, I suppose). #3 is probably closest to what ceasefire proponents are imagining, but that is only one very unlikely form of what a ceasefire would look like and would still take a huge amount of time.

Now, I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to see a ceasefire along current lines of control to allow for further negotiations - I'm personally in this camp, at least to some extent. But that comes with the acceptance that Israel will have almost all the leverage in dictating the terms of the peace (even completely aside from any pressure or aid from the US) and will almost certainly lead to a less "free Palestine" than pre-October. So, if it was a "free Palestine" I was looking for, I don't know if "ceasefire now" would be the chant I would go with.

If I were to give some unsolicited advice, I'd say "Resist occupied Gaza!" would be a better slogan, since that does put a modicum of pressure on how Washington and Jerusalem are anticipating the post-war peace to go. Currently the mindset is "We'll figure it out once Hamas is defeated." By emphasizing that resistance will continue with or without Hamas, it puts that assumption into question.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 02:01:21 PM »

But 'ceasefire' has always meant something temporary. The word for a permanent cessation of fire without an actual peace agreement is 'armistice'.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 03:16:13 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2024, 03:25:52 PM by Lief 🗽 »

The activist class does not believe in the English language, so "ceasefire" to them means "Israel unilaterally surrendering and apologizing for 10/7" and not how dictionaries/normal people understand the term.
GAinDC

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 04:29:46 PM »

Do people calling for an immediate permanent ceasefire realize that Israel currently occupies most of Gaza? Or do they not realize that a ceasefire does not automatically entail Israeli withdrawal? Really, the only scenarios where Israel leaves Gaza are either 1) A unilateral decision from Israel to do so (seems unlikely, but not impossible) 2) Hamas militarily defeating Israel (pretty much impossible) or 3) An agreement between Israel and Hamas where Hamas gives major concessions to Israel in exchange for an Israeli withdrawal (also seems extremely unlikely, but weirder things have happened, I suppose). #3 is probably closest to what ceasefire proponents are imagining, but that is only one very unlikely form of what a ceasefire would look like and would still take a huge amount of time.

Now, I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to see a ceasefire along current lines of control to allow for further negotiations - I'm personally in this camp, at least to some extent. But that comes with the acceptance that Israel will have almost all the leverage in dictating the terms of the peace (even completely aside from any pressure or aid from the US) and will almost certainly lead to a less "free Palestine" than pre-October. So, if it was a "free Palestine" I was looking for, I don't know if "ceasefire now" would be the chant I would go with.

If I were to give some unsolicited advice, I'd say "Resist occupied Gaza!" would be a better slogan, since that does put a modicum of pressure on how Washington and Jerusalem are anticipating the post-war peace to go. Currently the mindset is "We'll figure it out once Hamas is defeated." By emphasizing that resistance will continue with or without Hamas, it puts that assumption into question.

I have some terrible news for you: these people aren’t that smart and don’t actually know what they want other than to just be mad about something.
GAinDC

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 04:30:43 PM »

The activist class does not believe in the English language, so "ceasefire" to them means "Israel unilaterally surrendering and apologizing for 10/7" and not how dictionaries/normal people understand the term.

This is not about peace to them. It’s about retribution.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024, 05:25:47 PM »

I have some terrible news for you: these people aren’t that smart and don’t actually know what they want other than to just be mad about something.

These people didn't have a word to say when evidence of a real genocide surfaced in Ukraine.
Do you really think that they a give a rat's ass about innocent Palestinians getting killed? Their only concern is embarrassing Biden and reelecting Trump.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 05:29:14 PM »

The slogan is Free Palestine...
GAinDC

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 05:38:58 PM »

From who? Israel? They should be freed from Hamas

And what happens to Israel and the millions of people in Israel if Palestine is “free”?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 09:21:04 PM »

From who? Israel? They should be freed from Hamas

And what happens to Israel and the millions of people in Israel if Palestine is “free”?

We are talking about antizionists
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 10:00:18 PM »

He could literally scream "ceasefire now," but because this cause has morphed into "Israel is perpetrating genocide and needs to face the consequences for it," it would mean nothing to his critics on this issue.
He could scream "ceasefire now" with the crowd and some of the ceasefire now crew would still find a reason to criticize him. As someone else mentioned, most of these people don't like Biden and are using this as an excuse to project their hatred of him. There are nefarious actors as well, but I think that at the end of the day most of these people have good intentions but are misinformed about the situation. Biden should remember that there are more "ceasefire now" people who'll vote for him in 2024 than there are people who'd abandon him if he does a 180 on his current policy, especially since Trump is in support of Israel as well.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2024, 02:42:17 AM »

Won't matter.  They redefine "ceasefire" every week to mean whatever Joe Biden isn't saying.

They know perfectly well that if they wanted to advocate for a permanent peace, and reject any temporary ceasefire, the most effective way to do that would be to say "permanent peace now" or "armistice now".

But instead they've chosen to just redefine the word ceasefire to mean something totally different.

And this is because for months they were chanting and screaming for a ceasefire.  But then Joe Biden started work on a ceasefire, so they couldn't support it anymore, they had to switch to chanting and screaming for a permanent peace.  But they didn't want to change their slogan.  So they just redefined all the words in it to match the new thing they wanted.  And we're all just supposed to buy it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies