What is the furthest north Southern city? What is the furthest south Northern city?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:33:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What is the furthest north Southern city? What is the furthest south Northern city?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the furthest north Southern city? What is the furthest south Northern city?  (Read 924 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2024, 07:35:44 PM »

?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 07:40:38 PM »

Furthest north southern city; Baltimore
Furthest south northern city; Palm Beach, Florida
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 02:35:55 PM »

Baltimore and New Orleans
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 02:43:47 PM »

Louisville and Orlando.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 04:04:53 PM »

Most Southern "Northern" City: Somewhere on the island of Hawaii

Most Northern "Southern" City: Branson, MO
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 05:58:52 PM »

You've said this a few times about New Orleans since it has a very large Euro immigrant history, but how does that apply to NoLa and not Baltimore?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 12:12:03 AM »

Honolulu and Baltimore

(alternatives if Baltimore doesn't count: Washington, Alexandria, Louisville)

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 08:03:57 AM »

Geographically furthest south northern city: Wilmington (small city) or Philly

Geographically furthest north southern city: Baltimore
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 11:53:38 AM »

You've said this a few times about New Orleans since it has a very large Euro immigrant history, but how does that apply to NoLa and not Baltimore?

It does.  NOLA/Baltimore are maybe the two most similar cities in the country (from a typological perspective) so it's reasonable to say they both include a very healthy mix of Yankee/Dixie attitudes.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 03:12:27 PM »

I have to disagree with the classification of Baltimore as a Southern city.

There's certain Southern elements present in the city, especially before the mass immigration of 1870-1914; but it's definitely a Mid-Atlantic city, and therefore of the Northeast.
White Cloud
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 05:39:39 PM »

I'm going to take a different approach to this than most people so far. To me, the furthest north Southern city would be a city that is unmistakably in The South, and the most uncontroversial definition of The South is the states of the Confederacy. So when you look at the Confederacy, the furthest north part was the very northern tip of Virginia. It appears that the largest city in that area is Winchester, home of Patsy Cline. So I'm going to say the furthest north Southern city is Winchester, Virginia.

The furthest south Northern city would be the reverse of this, it would be the furthest south point in the free Union states. Not the slave states that supported the Union, but the free Union states. And the southernmost point there is Cairo, Illinois. So Cairo, Illinois would be the furthest south Northern city.
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 06:59:45 PM »

The furthest south Northern city would be the reverse of this, it would be the furthest south point in the free Union states. Not the slave states that supported the Union, but the free Union states. And the southernmost point there is Cairo, Illinois. So Cairo, Illinois would be the furthest south Northern city.

Is there some reason you're leaving out California, or did you just forget? It seems to me that San Diego would be the actual answer to the bolded section.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2024, 07:10:20 PM »

Morgantown and Tucson?/Cincinnati?
White Cloud
Rookie
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2024, 07:25:24 PM »

Is there some reason you're leaving out California, or did you just forget? It seems to me that San Diego would be the actual answer to the bolded section.

I forgot the west coast figured in the Civil War at all.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 11:55:46 AM »

When people think of the "North" in the civil war sense, they usually just meant the Midwest and Northeast. Though by 1861 San Francisco was very much a city, and very much a Northern City at that.

Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2024, 06:19:36 PM »

Which is which?
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2024, 06:24:46 PM »

I'm going to take a different approach to this than most people so far. To me, the furthest north Southern city would be a city that is unmistakably in The South, and the most uncontroversial definition of The South is the states of the Confederacy. So when you look at the Confederacy, the furthest north part was the very northern tip of Virginia. It appears that the largest city in that area is Winchester, home of Patsy Cline. So I'm going to say the furthest north Southern city is Winchester, Virginia.

Cairo could arguably be considered a culturally Southern city, as could Carbondale, IL, given that they both comfortably fall within the Dixie-adjacent "Little Egypt" region.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies