Glenn Youngkin signs bill protecting SSM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:08:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Glenn Youngkin signs bill protecting SSM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Glenn Youngkin signs bill protecting SSM  (Read 940 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2024, 12:06:06 PM »

Where are the scared of their own shadow red avs who think SSM will come back as a political issue in our lifetime? I know Virginia is a Dem leaning state, but Youngkin isn't some Phil Scott moderate (he also signed a bunch of pro gun bills and a couple GOP supported book ban bills) so I think this is noteworthy.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 12:11:58 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2024, 12:17:49 PM by Roll Roons »

I straight up remember someone on here saying that Youngkin would automatically give VA's electoral votes to Trump no matter what.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 12:21:11 PM »

I’m glad he did this for two reasons: it’s the right thing to do, and it will hurt his chances at getting the nomination in 2028.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 12:45:48 PM »

Those legislative election results reminded him what state he is actually leading.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 01:43:15 PM »

That means nothing in the big picture when you have other states setting up opportunities to send same sex marriage to the high court.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/new-tennessee-law-allows-officials-refuse-perform-sex-marriages-rcna140011

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed a new law Wednesday that will allow public officials in the state to refuse to perform marriages if doing so goes against their beliefs.

Youngkin doesn't need to fight because his GOP friends in red states can do all the work to get it to the court.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 02:05:29 PM »

I straight up remember someone on here saying that Youngkin would automatically give VA's electoral votes to Trump no matter what.
Wasn't that SnowLabrador? Not exactly representative of anything.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 02:25:17 PM »

I’m glad he did this for two reasons: it’s the right thing to do, and it will hurt his chances at getting the nomination in 2028.

Agreed, though I doubt he'll get the nomination anyway. Not crazy enough.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 02:44:07 PM »

To me this shows he has no interest in running for office again
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 06:59:48 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2024, 08:35:55 PM by Dan the Roman »

The median position on the Right going forward is going to be Pro-gay and Lesbian, anti-LGBT. You can argue this is intellectually incoherent but people don't develop political views based off a compass. They do based on their lived experiences.

LGBT+ stuff is leftwing coded. Two-spirit and other identities tagged on are explicit creations of the leftwing academic activist world. For that reason alone, the branding is going to repellent to anyone drawn to conservatism in any form, whether ideologically or instinctively.

However, almost any normal person is going to have gay, lesbian, and in some cases trans friends and family, and in many of those cases those individuals will themselves be more formed by the place they grew up, education, employment, and race than they will be by that identity. Which in turn means we are seeing the first generation where due to being accepted Gay and Lesbian Republicans growing up in Republican communities are more likely to be anti-LGBT+ rather than anti-GOP.

Just as a hypothetical, if Glenn Younkin's son was gay in 1994, his coming out would in 90% of cases lead to him repudiating the Republican party and becoming a critic of his father. In 2024? If a the 20-year old white son of a multi-millionaire governor came out, odds are he would be a fierce defender of his father and a bitter critic of anyone who attacked his father or the party.

This has knock-on effects because it means the contact theory which pushed SSM forward has now is now working against modern "LGBT+" politics even as it solidifies the consensus in favor of SSM and other social gains. The solidity of the Canadian Tory/US Republican/Australian Liberal(to a lesser degree) position on issues is reinforced by the fact that gay and lesbian friends and family are generally not pushing back against the Anti-LGBT pro-gay line, which means the only pressure group are people from another era.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 10:31:32 PM »

Trump was arguably the most pro SSM Republican running in 2016, having attacked Kim Davis.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 11:22:17 PM »

Trump was arguably the most pro SSM Republican running in 2016, having attacked Kim Davis.

That’s like saying he’s the least racist nazi
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 11:31:49 PM »

More than Kasich? There's a reason Kasich got like zero support in the south lol.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2024, 11:43:48 PM »

There are absolutely a lot of Republicans who still intend to nullify all same-sex marriages if they get the chance. They'll never have the public support to do it and they don't expect to let that stop them. Either way, this is definitely an impressive move from Youngkin.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2024, 11:53:34 PM »

That’s like saying he’s the least racist nazi

Well, he was still more pro SSM than any President before Obama, so I guess a lot of racist Nazis there.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2024, 11:58:44 PM »

More than Kasich? There's a reason Kasich got like zero support in the south lol.

Obergefell was originally called Kasich vs Obergefell . The reason Kasich did really badly was the Republican base during the Obama years really hated Obama and Kasich going along with what was viewed as ultimate Obama accomplishment was viewed as a betrayal .

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2024, 11:59:06 PM »

Definitely not more than Kasich. Kasich talked in the debates about how he had recently attended a gay wedding.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 12:23:39 AM »

Virginia still has a marriage ban in its state constitution and the voters have yet to have the opportunity to remove and/or replace that language. Democrats started the process in 2021, but it has to be restarted because Republicans blocked the measure when they won the House of Delegates later that year.

So far, Nevada remains the only state to have repealed its constitutional ban (in 2020). California will almost certainly be the second state to do so, as the Legislature put it on the November ballot.

There are absolutely a lot of Republicans who still intend to nullify all same-sex marriages if they get the chance. They'll never have the public support to do it and they don't expect to let that stop them. Either way, this is definitely an impressive move from Youngkin.

Those Republicans don't need the public. They need five votes on the Supreme Court. I'm not inclined to think they have the votes now, but they certainly could in the future. If Obergefell falls, the constitutional bans in nearly 30 states suddenly become fully operational once again (and that doesn't even include the small handful of states with statutory bans).
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 09:31:24 AM »

Virginia still has a marriage ban in its state constitution and the voters have yet to have the opportunity to remove and/or replace that language. Democrats started the process in 2021, but it has to be restarted because Republicans blocked the measure when they won the House of Delegates later that year.

So far, Nevada remains the only state to have repealed its constitutional ban (in 2020). California will almost certainly be the second state to do so, as the Legislature put it on the November ballot.

Those Republicans don't need the public. They need five votes on the Supreme Court. I'm not inclined to think they have the votes now, but they certainly could in the future. If Obergefell falls, the constitutional bans in nearly 30 states suddenly become fully operational once again (and that doesn't even include the small handful of states with statutory bans).

Except all it means is that licenses won't be issued locally.  They are still required by federal law to recognize marriages performed in other states.

Furthermore, the most likely reversal is one which overturns Obergefell's reasoning but maintains full faith and credit anyway. I suspect Barrett at least is on board with that as well as probably Kavanaugh(I think people may misread Gorsuch with Bostock but Barrett has shown herself to be for proceduralism what Gorsuch is on Indian affairs)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 09:34:24 AM »

Youngkin won't win the nomination in 2028 anyway. He isn't crazy enough. He'll do about as well as Nikki.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2024, 10:37:16 AM »

Definitely not more than Kasich. Kasich talked in the debates about how he had recently attended a gay wedding.

Do you really think Trump does not have gay friends or has not attended a gay wedding?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2024, 10:38:35 AM »

Do you really think Trump does not have gay friends or hasn't attended a gay wedding?

Trump has literally hosted gay weddings at Mar-a-Lago and had a late night party with Kat Cammack and I think Nancy Mace to celebrate the passage of the RFMA.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2024, 10:44:59 AM »

Do you really think Trump does not have gay friends or has not attended a gay wedding?

I could believe it, but that doesn't change the fact that Kasich was the one openly talking about it during the 2016 debates (and catching some heat from the party).
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2024, 11:07:30 AM »

That's as bad as "I have Black friends". Just like with abortion Trump isn't going to go against the social conservatives in the Republican Party if he has to make a choice.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2024, 07:34:37 PM »

I can clearly picturing Trump in the frontrow of a lesbian celebrity wedding pre-2015 thinking to himself "which one is the man."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2024, 07:36:28 PM »

That's as bad as "I have Black friends".
Why are you so opposed to interracial friendships? I've seen you post this sentence twice this week.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies