Laken Riley’s mother blasts Biden as ‘pathetic’ for getting daughter’s name wrong during SOTU
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:00:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Laken Riley’s mother blasts Biden as ‘pathetic’ for getting daughter’s name wrong during SOTU
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Laken Riley’s mother blasts Biden as ‘pathetic’ for getting daughter’s name wrong during SOTU  (Read 1499 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2024, 12:28:41 PM »

Frankly she sounds utterly pathetic. A president who has lost two children offers his sympathy to you specifically on national TV and all you do is complain.

She lost her daughter specifically due to Joe Biden's non-feasance at the border.  Mrs. Riley is grieving BECAUSE Biden's nonfeasance contributed to her death.

Did 0 undocumented people get into the country illegally between 2017 and 2021?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2024, 06:08:08 PM »

How does one pronounce that name anyway? Lack-en? Lay-ken? Lah-ken? It is not immediately obvious.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2024, 07:13:11 PM »

Where is her anger with MTG for interrupting him when he was trying to say her name?

She's probably fine with that.  Biden's actual policies at the border are the reason her daughter is dead.  She knows that and was probably glad that MTG called him out.

He botched the name, in part, because he went off script, and because "Lincoln Riley" is a prominent FBS Football Coach, so I cut him a little bit of slack there.  But then he went off script, and then he called her killer an "illegal" and began to hint that there were lots of "illegals".  That, for me, was the high point of the night; to see MTG absolutely OWN Biden.  If he were in control of his emotions, Biden could have stuck it back to MTG and owned her in the exchange, but he let his anger get to him and he couldn't differentiate MTG from Cornpop and he began to say stupid things.  Not that I minded him calling these illegal aliens "illegals".  No person is illegal; I'll agree with that, but these people are illegally here.  And a lot of these people have criminal lifestyles.  (Venezuela is emptying its prisons and mental institutions and we don't have an agreement that they will take back the people we deport from there.)  But it was comic relief to see the worst people in America all offended and prepared to lecture Biden and the rest of us on decorum.  

As for Laken Riley's mother:  Just who is anyone here to criticize who she gets angry with.  She's not a political figure, and she didn't ask for her daughter to be a subject of the SOTU at the way it came out.  But her daughter JUST DIED and she was murdered by a sadistic killer who wouldn't be in the US if Biden had been enforcing the laws.  If she decides to speak at Trump rallies or the Republican National Convention, then she's opened herself up to fair critical feedback, but we're not there yet.

Setting aside everything else wrong in this post, when you agree to come to the State of the Union, you become a political figure in the context of whatever happens there.  That’s part of the deal, for better or worse.  You want privacy or don’t want to be criticized for dumb things you say?  Don’t accept the invitation.  Otherwise, I have no sympathy on that front.  And the idea that Biden’s policies killed her kid is so wildly out of touch with reality that it doesn’t pass the laugh test.

So are you going to let the Forum know that I was fully justified in criticizing Khazir Khan's speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2016?  I took flak from the worst of the Forum over that, and that was a guy who DID deliberately make a speech at the Democratic National Convention.  He didn't get drawn into it; he made a public political speech and it was planned.  You could at least apply your principle to my criticism of the content of Mr. Khan's speech and point out that criticism of Khan's speech is fair game, and the reader can decide whether it's valid or not.

Biden didn't kill her daughter, but the chances that Laken Riley would be alive today if we were doing what Trump did at the border would be lesser.  Significantly lesser.  Whatever you think about Trump, I think that's as plain as day.  And I will say that the lack of empathy for Laken Riley's mother simply because her situation is politically inconvenient for the majority here is actually rather sad.  

First, typo jokes aside, the idea that Laken Reily would be more likely to still be alive under Trump’s immigration policies is little more than a self-evidently absurd partisan Republican fantasy.  There’s simply no other way to describe it.  Wake me when Trump isn’t aggressively working to kill serious immigration legislation that includes tougher border security measures than anything Trump did.  Trump’s immigration policy was far more deliberately cruel and proactively sadistic than Biden’s, but being aggressively inhumane at every opportunity is very different than being tough or strong.  That you seem to be conflating calculated barbarism with strength is troubling, to say the least.  With all due respect, it might be worth you praying for guidance and insight into what Jesus would have to say about that. 

I think criticizing Khazir Khan’s DNC speech was absolutely fair game for criticism; that isn’t the gotcha you think it is.  My issue with that isn’t that Republicans criticized his speech or that he somehow wasn’t a public figure.  It’s that the criticism I heard from Republicans was generally some combination of Islamophobic, misogynistic (some of the stuff they said about Khan’s wife was absolutely vile), or simply wildly at odds with objective reality.  I also found Trump’s claims that he’s sacrificed as much or more for America by being a [failed] businessman than Gold Star parents pretty despicable, especially given Trump’s infamous and well-documented contempt for members of the armed forces in general and those who died in combat in particular.  I don’t remember what your criticisms were, so I can’t comment on them, but I will say I can’t remember a single Republican attack on Khazir Khan that wasn’t vile in terms of its content.  They were fair game for criticism, but so is the criticism itself.

Of course, this is all kinda beside the point since Biden did not mispronounce the name and you - whether consciously or unconsciously - are pretty clearly choosing to hear what you desperately want to hear.

I could care less if he mispronounced her name; he said it twice and got it right once (I think). 

I care about his indifference to her death and the fact that people rightly believe that his handling of the border increased the probability of that event happening and has increased the probability that such an event will happen to one of their family.

A President with full cognitive functioning could have easily handled MTG.  That MTG got the best of Biden (and she did, that part is clear as glass) is telling.  If it were me, I would have stopped the show and made a statement to the effect that I did not choose to mention this in the SOTU out of respect for the Riley Family and the magnitude of their tragedy and ask that people not do so for the rest of the speech.  That would not have changed my opinion of Biden's handling of the border, or of his level of negligence that at least indirectly led to Laken Riley's death, but it WOULD have shown a leader who at least had an idea as to how to diffuse a situation.  Biden poured gas on that particular fire.  He made the event more painful for the Riley Family.  Biden's got the Big Job and he used the SOTU to kickoff his campaign for a 2nd crack at the Big Job, but the Big Job called for Biden to be the Bigger Man on this issue.  Insted, he rubbed salt in the Riley family's wound.  If doing so wasn't his fault, that goes to his level of cognitive functioning.  I expect more from Presidents than I do from impulsive teenagers and fading old men.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2024, 07:19:21 PM »

Where is her anger with MTG for interrupting him when he was trying to say her name?

She's probably fine with that.  Biden's actual policies at the border are the reason her daughter is dead.  She knows that and was probably glad that MTG called him out.

He botched the name, in part, because he went off script, and because "Lincoln Riley" is a prominent FBS Football Coach, so I cut him a little bit of slack there.  But then he went off script, and then he called her killer an "illegal" and began to hint that there were lots of "illegals".  That, for me, was the high point of the night; to see MTG absolutely OWN Biden.  If he were in control of his emotions, Biden could have stuck it back to MTG and owned her in the exchange, but he let his anger get to him and he couldn't differentiate MTG from Cornpop and he began to say stupid things.  Not that I minded him calling these illegal aliens "illegals".  No person is illegal; I'll agree with that, but these people are illegally here.  And a lot of these people have criminal lifestyles.  (Venezuela is emptying its prisons and mental institutions and we don't have an agreement that they will take back the people we deport from there.)  But it was comic relief to see the worst people in America all offended and prepared to lecture Biden and the rest of us on decorum.  

As for Laken Riley's mother:  Just who is anyone here to criticize who she gets angry with.  She's not a political figure, and she didn't ask for her daughter to be a subject of the SOTU at the way it came out.  But her daughter JUST DIED and she was murdered by a sadistic killer who wouldn't be in the US if Biden had been enforcing the laws.  If she decides to speak at Trump rallies or the Republican National Convention, then she's opened herself up to fair critical feedback, but we're not there yet.

Setting aside everything else wrong in this post, when you agree to come to the State of the Union, you become a political figure in the context of whatever happens there.  That’s part of the deal, for better or worse.  You want privacy or don’t want to be criticized for dumb things you say?  Don’t accept the invitation.  Otherwise, I have no sympathy on that front.  And the idea that Biden’s policies killed her kid is so wildly out of touch with reality that it doesn’t pass the laugh test.

So are you going to let the Forum know that I was fully justified in criticizing Khazir Khan's speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2016?  I took flak from the worst of the Forum over that, and that was a guy who DID deliberately make a speech at the Democratic National Convention.  He didn't get drawn into it; he made a public political speech and it was planned.  You could at least apply your principle to my criticism of the content of Mr. Khan's speech and point out that criticism of Khan's speech is fair game, and the reader can decide whether it's valid or not.

Biden didn't kill her daughter, but the chances that Laken Riley would be alive today if we were doing what Trump did at the border would be lesser.  Significantly lesser.  Whatever you think about Trump, I think that's as plain as day.  And I will say that the lack of empathy for Laken Riley's mother simply because her situation is politically inconvenient for the majority here is actually rather sad.  

First, typo jokes aside, the idea that Laken Reily would be more likely to still be alive under Trump’s immigration policies is little more than a self-evidently absurd partisan Republican fantasy.  There’s simply no other way to describe it.  Wake me when Trump isn’t aggressively working to kill serious immigration legislation that includes tougher border security measures than anything Trump did.  Trump’s immigration policy was far more deliberately cruel and proactively sadistic than Biden’s, but being aggressively inhumane at every opportunity is very different than being tough or strong.  That you seem to be conflating calculated barbarism with strength is troubling, to say the least.  With all due respect, it might be worth you praying for guidance and insight into what Jesus would have to say about that. 

I think criticizing Khazir Khan’s DNC speech was absolutely fair game for criticism; that isn’t the gotcha you think it is.  My issue with that isn’t that Republicans criticized his speech or that he somehow wasn’t a public figure.  It’s that the criticism I heard from Republicans was generally some combination of Islamophobic, misogynistic (some of the stuff they said about Khan’s wife was absolutely vile), or simply wildly at odds with objective reality.  I also found Trump’s claims that he’s sacrificed as much or more for America by being a [failed] businessman than Gold Star parents pretty despicable, especially given Trump’s infamous and well-documented contempt for members of the armed forces in general and those who died in combat in particular.  I don’t remember what your criticisms were, so I can’t comment on them, but I will say I can’t remember a single Republican attack on Khazir Khan that wasn’t vile in terms of its content.  They were fair game for criticism, but so is the criticism itself.

Of course, this is all kinda beside the point since Biden did not mispronounce the name and you - whether consciously or unconsciously - are pretty clearly choosing to hear what you desperately want to hear.

I could care less if he mispronounced her name; he said it twice and got it right once (I think). 

I care about his indifference to her death and the fact that people rightly believe that his handling of the border increased the probability of that event happening and has increased the probability that such an event will happen to one of their family.

A President with full cognitive functioning could have easily handled MTG.  That MTG got the best of Biden (and she did, that part is clear as glass) is telling.  If it were me, I would have stopped the show and made a statement to the effect that I did not choose to mention this in the SOTU out of respect for the Riley Family and the magnitude of their tragedy and ask that people not do so for the rest of the speech.  That would not have changed my opinion of Biden's handling of the border, or of his level of negligence that at least indirectly led to Laken Riley's death, but it WOULD have shown a leader who at least had an idea as to how to diffuse a situation.  Biden poured gas on that particular fire.  He made the event more painful for the Riley Family.  Biden's got the Big Job and he used the SOTU to kickoff his campaign for a 2nd crack at the Big Job, but the Big Job called for Biden to be the Bigger Man on this issue.  Insted, he rubbed salt in the Riley family's wound.  If doing so wasn't his fault, that goes to his level of cognitive functioning.  I expect more from Presidents than I do from impulsive teenagers and fading old men.

The fact that you wish what you were saying was true doesn't make it so. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2024, 07:24:09 PM »

The fact that you wish what you were saying was true doesn't make it so. 

Right back atcha, dude!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2024, 07:49:55 PM »

Biden is responsible for the Laken’s death at the hands of a person that camr into the country under Trump

https://nypost.com/2024/03/08/us-news/migrant-charged-with-murdering-laken-rileys-easy-path-to-us/

September 8, 2022
Ibarra is arrested by the US Border Patrol in El Paso, Texas, after illegally crossing the border. He is accompanied by his girlfriend, Layling Franco, and her 5-year-old son.

After less than 24 hours, Ibarra is released on parole due to lack of detention capacity, according to ICE records seen by The Post. He gives his destination address in New York as a homeless shelter and is instructed to report to the agency in the city.

As The Post reported at the time, El Paso was being overrun, with more than 600 migrants arriving a day. El Paso was also paying for migrants to be bused from the city to New York, at that time with the blessing of Mayor Eric Adams.

Ibarra entered the country in 2022.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2024, 07:56:34 PM »

*retracted I thought I saw a report he came in 2019*
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2024, 08:03:53 PM »

If only fuzzy showed the same amount of outrage whenever a WASP guy kills innocent people in a mass shooting.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2024, 08:31:40 PM »

If only fuzzy showed the same amount of outrage whenever a WASP guy kills innocent people in a mass shooting.

I'm outraged enough to call for the shooter to suffer the full penalty of the law.

I don't support depriving law abiding Americans of their gun rights.  Jose Ibarra had NO right to even be in America.  Law Abiding Citizens have EVERY right to keep and bear firearms.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2024, 10:10:33 PM »

I'm outraged enough to call for the shooter to suffer the full penalty of the law.

I don't support depriving law abiding Americans of their gun rights.  Jose Ibarra had NO right to even be in America.  Law Abiding Citizens have EVERY right to keep and bear firearms.

People who go on mass-shootings are, by definition, not law-abiding citizens.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2024, 11:20:32 PM »

There's no reliable and objective way to subdivide the population into "law abiding citizens" and not.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2024, 12:37:32 AM »

Trump pretty much rode on the Kate Steinle story back in 2016. Then there was Mollie Tibbets in 2018 which the GOP talked about endlessly during the midterms. It's crazy how these cases pop up and are amplified all in election years.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2024, 08:06:47 AM »

Guys, the American people aren't focused on this.

Let's talk about kitchen table issues.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2024, 08:17:59 AM »

If she had been decapitated by a Trump supporter, this thread would not exist and our blue avatars would not care less. Alas, she wasn't, and our blue avatars only care about this tragedy because it suits their narratives and will stop caring as soon as it doesn't.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2024, 09:24:44 AM »

It's honestly more sad than anything that her parents are allowing (and seem to be fully co-signing) her death to be politicized and used for Trump's own personal gain. That's the most depressing part tbh
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2024, 11:17:07 AM »

It's honestly more sad than anything that her parents are allowing (and seem to be fully co-signing) her death to be politicized and used for Trump's own personal gain. That's the most depressing part tbh

*Norm MacDonald voice*: “I disagree. I think the most depressing part was the brutal murder.”
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2024, 12:39:48 PM »

*Norm MacDonald voice*: “I disagree. I think the most depressing part was the brutal murder.”

I'm talking about what has happened after. That was pretty clear
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2024, 02:43:08 PM »

Do Dems not politicize school shootings?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2024, 03:04:22 PM »

Guys, the American people aren't focused on this.

Let's talk about kitchen table issues.

Clearest evidence immigration is a bad issue for Democrats. Thank you Inmate Trump.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2024, 09:11:36 PM »

... As for Laken Riley's mother:  Just who is anyone here to criticize who she gets angry with.  She's not a political figure, and she didn't ask for her daughter to be a subject of the SOTU at the way it came out.

And you do realize that this is the complete fault of that red-dunce-cap wearing MTG. Correct?
MTG was the one wearing a T-shirt and handing-out buttons with Laken Riley's name, during the SOTU.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2024, 09:14:42 PM »

Leaving everything else aside, you know that school shootings result in exponentially more deaths every year than illegal immigrant attacks, right?
kwabbit

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2024, 08:57:49 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2024, 09:01:02 AM by kwabbit »

Leaving everything else aside, you know that school shootings result in exponentially more deaths every year than illegal immigrant attacks, right?

School shootings average around 40 deaths per year. There are roughly 13 million illegal immigrants in the United States. Assuming they commit murders at half the rate as the domestic population, given that they commit violent crime at half the rate, that would be about 500 murders per year.

Did you think that thousands die a year in school shootings or that illegal immigrants commit zero crime? I don't see how you could possibly intuit that school shootings were more given that illegal immigrants number over 10 million, much less exponentially more, and posit it as an obvious truth.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2024, 09:00:08 AM »

School shootings average around 40 deaths per year. There are roughly 13 million illegal immigrants in the United States. Assuming they commit murders at half the rate as the domestic population, given that they commit violent crime at half the rate, that would be about 500 murders per year.

Did you think that thousands die a year in school shootings or that illegal immigrants commit zero crime?

Source?
kwabbit

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2024, 09:06:36 AM »

Did you think that thousands die a year in school shootings or that illegal immigrants commit zero crime?

Source?

Undocumented Crime Rates

School Shooting Rates

Current undocumented population is between 11 and 16 million.

18,456 murders in the United States per 330 million, so about 750 murders if same rate as general pop. Above paper says immigrants commit violent crime at half the rate as the normal population, so 375 murders at half the rate. 500 estimate was with 2022 murder rate, now down in 2023.

CNN article says 46 school shooting deaths in 2022 was a heavy year, so assumed 40 as a less heavy year.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2024, 09:10:52 AM »

Source?

Undocumented Crime Rates

School Shooting Rates

Current undocumented population is between 11 and 16 million.

18,456 murders in the United States per 330 million, so about 750 murders if same rate as general pop. Above paper says immigrants commit violent crime at half the rate as the normal population, so 375 murders at half the rate. 500 estimate was with 2022 murder rate, now down in 2023.

CNN article says 46 school shooting deaths in 2022 was a heavy year, so assumed 40 as a less heavy year.

Me thinks if there were 500 murders by undocumented immigrants every year then Fox News and Newsmax would have 24/7 coverage of every one of them. Every single one of them would have become cause celebre.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies