Laken Riley’s mother blasts Biden as ‘pathetic’ for getting daughter’s name wrong during SOTU
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:10:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Laken Riley’s mother blasts Biden as ‘pathetic’ for getting daughter’s name wrong during SOTU
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Laken Riley’s mother blasts Biden as ‘pathetic’ for getting daughter’s name wrong during SOTU  (Read 1494 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2024, 07:18:08 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/laken-rileys-mother-blasts-biden-pathetic-getting-daughters-name-wrong-sotu

The president seemed to refer to the 22-year-old Georgia nursing student, who was allegedly killed by a Venezuelan migrant in the country illegally last month, as "Lincoln" rather than "Laken" in his speech.
"Biden does not even KNOW my child’s name – it’s pathetic! If you are going to say her name (even when forced to do so) at least say the right name!" Laken’s mother, Allyson Phillips, wrote on Facebook in response after someone noted Biden called her "Lincoln" and said he was trying to "minimize" her murder by invoking his son Beau’s death from cancer.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 07:19:12 PM »

Where is her anger with MTG for interrupting him when he was trying to say her name?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 07:33:12 PM »

Sad that the far-right is manipulating this poor grieving woman.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 07:34:36 PM »

Frankly she sounds utterly pathetic. A president who has lost two children offers his sympathy to you specifically on national TV and all you do is complain.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 07:43:21 PM »

Frankly she sounds utterly pathetic. A president who has lost two children offers his sympathy to you specifically on national TV and all you do is complain.

Exactly. It's not like he was intentionally mispronouncing it to make a mockery...you know, like Trump does!
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 07:45:16 PM »

This is a bad look for Biden NGL. The Laken/Lincoln thing could have been brushed off as a manufactured media controversy but if her OWN MOTHER heard it as “Lincoln” then there’s no good news to come out of it from this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 07:46:30 PM »

This is a bad look for Biden NGL. The Laken/Lincoln thing could have been brushed off as a manufactured media controversy but if her OWN MOTHER heard it as “Lincoln” then there’s no good news to come out of it from this.

She should get her hearing checked
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 07:50:26 PM »

It's a good thing then that Biden isn't a thin-skinned sociopath and won't attack her like Trump did with the Khans.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 08:03:00 PM »

It's pretty crazy when you politicize your own child's death. Clearly everyone knew who he was talking about so it seems rather pointless to nitpick about it. The real problem is they wanted Biden to fail in his speech and he didn't, so they are spinning out of control once again.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 08:04:58 PM »

Good grief, you people are annoying. Biden gave a good speech and you just can't stand it so you start making up idiotic stories.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 08:06:08 PM »

Where is her anger with MTG for interrupting him when he was trying to say her name?

She's probably fine with that.  Biden's actual policies at the border are the reason her daughter is dead.  She knows that and was probably glad that MTG called him out.

He botched the name, in part, because he went off script, and because "Lincoln Riley" is a prominent FBS Football Coach, so I cut him a little bit of slack there.  But then he went off script, and then he called her killer an "illegal" and began to hint that there were lots of "illegals".  That, for me, was the high point of the night; to see MTG absolutely OWN Biden.  If he were in control of his emotions, Biden could have stuck it back to MTG and owned her in the exchange, but he let his anger get to him and he couldn't differentiate MTG from Cornpop and he began to say stupid things.  Not that I minded him calling these illegal aliens "illegals".  No person is illegal; I'll agree with that, but these people are illegally here.  And a lot of these people have criminal lifestyles.  (Venezuela is emptying its prisons and mental institutions and we don't have an agreement that they will take back the people we deport from there.)  But it was comic relief to see the worst people in America all offended and prepared to lecture Biden and the rest of us on decorum.  

As for Laken Riley's mother:  Just who is anyone here to criticize who she gets angry with.  She's not a political figure, and she didn't ask for her daughter to be a subject of the SOTU at the way it came out.  But her daughter JUST DIED and she was murdered by a sadistic killer who wouldn't be in the US if Biden had been enforcing the laws.  If she decides to speak at Trump rallies or the Republican National Convention, then she's opened herself up to fair critical feedback, but we're not there yet.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 08:08:46 PM »

There are few things more bleak and depressing than senior citizens using terms like "OWN!" on the internet.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 08:08:59 PM »

She lost her daughter specifically due to Joe Biden's non-feasance at the border.  Mrs. Riley is grieving BECAUSE Biden's nonfeasance contributed to her death.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 08:10:29 PM »

There are few things more bleak and depressing than senior citizens using terms like "OWN!" on the internet.

I'm trying to make the point in a way my audience here is most likely to understand.   Sunglasses
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 08:11:06 PM »

She lost her daughter specifically due to Joe Biden's non-feasance at the border.  Mrs. Riley is grieving BECAUSE Biden's nonfeasance contributed to her death.

If I'm correct the migrant was in the country due to Trump policy on Venezuela.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 08:11:39 PM »

She's probably fine with that.  Biden's actual policies at the border are the reason her daughter is dead.  She knows that and was probably glad that MTG called him out.

He botched the name, in part, because he went off script, and because "Lincoln Riley" is a prominent FBS Football Coach, so I cut him a little bit of slack there.  But then he went off script, and then he called her killer an "illegal" and began to hint that there were lots of "illegals".  That, for me, was the high point of the night; to see MTG absolutely OWN Biden.  If he were in control of his emotions, Biden could have stuck it back to MTG and owned her in the exchange, but he let his anger get to him and he couldn't differentiate MTG from Cornpop and he began to say stupid things.  Not that I minded him calling these illegal aliens "illegals".  No person is illegal; I'll agree with that, but these people are illegally here.  And a lot of these people have criminal lifestyles.  (Venezuela is emptying its prisons and mental institutions and we don't have an agreement that they will take back the people we deport from there.)  But it was comic relief to see the worst people in America all offended and prepared to lecture Biden and the rest of us on decorum.  

As for Laken Riley's mother:  Just who is anyone here to criticize who she gets angry with.  She's not a political figure, and she didn't ask for her daughter to be a subject of the SOTU at the way it came out.  But her daughter JUST DIED and she was murdered by a sadistic killer who wouldn't be in the US if Biden had been enforcing the laws.  If she decides to speak at Trump rallies or the Republican National Convention, then she's opened herself up to fair critical feedback, but we're not there yet.

Setting aside everything else wrong in this post, when you agree to come to the State of the Union, you become a political figure in the context of whatever happens there.  That’s part of the deal, for better or worse.  You want privacy or don’t want to be criticized for dumb things you say?  Don’t accept the invitation.  Otherwise, I have no sympathy on that front.  And the idea that Biden’s policies killed her kid is so wildly out of touch with reality that it doesn’t pass the laugh test.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2024, 08:17:48 PM »

It sounded like Laken to me. /shrug/ But "Laken" and "Lincoln" are close enough that someone could hear whatever they want to hear.

Take for example, this kid's toy. Does it say "brain storm" or "green needle"?

And look, I'm not going to hold the angry words of a grieving mother against her, but I will express my contempt for the Republicans who are weaponizing her grief for political ends. It's revolting.

He botched the name, in part, because he went off script, and because "Lincoln Riley" is a prominent FBS Football Coach, so I cut him a little bit of slack there.

I've seen a lot of conservatives mention this, which is really interesting to me. College football (and college sports in general) is more of a Republican interest than a Democratic interest. I would be really surprised if Biden knew who Lincoln Riley was. I didn't even know who he was until I saw them talking about it.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2024, 08:18:54 PM »

As I mentioned elsewhere, from what I read in the Post article, looks like she was going to be pissed at Biden either way.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2024, 08:21:25 PM »

As I mentioned elsewhere, from what I read in the Post article, looks like she was going to be pissed at Biden either way.

Well yeah, she’s a Republican from Cherokee County, GA. Wouldn’t be surprised if the she’s recruited to run for public office in the future. Maybe for Barry Loudermilk’s seat when it opens up?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2024, 08:24:08 PM »

It's annoying when left wing activists do this kind of stuff and it's even more annoying when right wing activists do it because they usually are doing it for nefarious causes.

It's quite difficult for me to drag a grieving mother but she has found a way to make me do it. Stop complaining lady!
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2024, 08:24:48 PM »

She was probably a Trump supporter even before her daughter's death, so it's no surprise she's being extremely unreasonable to Biden
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2024, 08:32:55 PM »

Good thing the op doesn’t have some history of simping for say a military that’s committing genocide or it would make making a thread like this showing such outrage at the loss of a life come off a disgusting
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2024, 08:34:00 PM »

Let's go Brandon!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2024, 08:34:33 PM »

Setting aside everything else wrong in this post, when you agree to come to the State of the Union, you become a political figure in the context of whatever happens there.  That’s part of the deal, for better or worse.  You want privacy or don’t want to be criticized for dumb things you say?  Don’t accept the invitation.  Otherwise, I have no sympathy on that front.  And the idea that Biden’s policies killed her kid is so wildly out of touch with reality that it doesn’t pass the laugh test.

So are you going to let the Forum know that I was fully justified in criticizing Khazir Khan's speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2016?  I took flak from the worst of the Forum over that, and that was a guy who DID deliberately make a speech at the Democratic National Convention.  He didn't get drawn into it; he made a public political speech and it was planned.  You could at least apply your principle to my criticism of the content of Mr. Khan's speech and point out that criticism of Khan's speech is fair game, and the reader can decide whether it's valid or not.

Biden didn't kill her daughter, but the chances that Laken Riley would be alive today if we were doing what Trump did at the border would be lesser.  Significantly lesser.  Whatever you think about Trump, I think that's as plain as day.  And I will say that the lack of empathy for Laken Riley's mother simply because her situation is politically inconvenient for the majority here is actually rather sad.  
Mr. Ukucasha
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2024, 08:35:16 PM »

I've replayed this over ten times and I only hear "green needle" or "brain needle." How is it that so many video commenters hear "storm" instead of "needle"? Are they joking? The words "green" and "brain" sound similar enough and both can be heard clearly in the video, but "storm" doesn't appear anywhere in the clip, does it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies