TikTok ban?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:00:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TikTok ban?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Author Topic: TikTok ban?  (Read 5921 times)
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2024, 04:38:08 PM »

It should've been ban for what it has done to popular music and the charts. But on a serious note I dont think it wise for Biden to do this during an election year. Especially when the story of this election is his collapse of young and minority voters.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2024, 04:41:22 PM »

I do agree with speech concerns but at the same time China not only does this with social media but video game companies as well. Its both for censorship but also for protectionism. We should really be focusing on the latter part.

A libertarian who supports protectionism?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2024, 04:42:48 PM »

I do agree with speech concerns but at the same time China not only does this with social media but video game companies as well. Its both for censorship but also for protectionism. We should really be focusing on the latter part.

No I just hate the fact that American tech companies have been doing the best and both the EU/China restrict them from competition in their sectors while we have to allow their stuff freely here(Spotify/TikTok). Free trade with Europe would be 100% ideal although more arguable when it comes to China.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2024, 04:44:13 PM »

It's amazing that a forum that skews towards young people is so supportive of a TikTok ban. Just remember, that by supporting the TikTok ban you

1. Don't believe in the First Amendment and freedom of speech. "The CCP" you like to demonize is responsible for exactly none of the viral content on TikTok, your fellow citizens are
2. Are carrying water for Mark Zuckerberg, who is one of the hidden hands behind this legislation as the main beneficiary.
3. Are carrying water for the FBI and NSA to gain additional surveillance capabilities and authority. I've never heard of anyone going to jail over VPN use in China and Mark Warner wants to hand out 20 year prison sentences for that.

Looks like blind anti-China hate and jingoism has corrupted your minds. Maybe one day you'll wake up and realize that and regret that you supported policies that are in total opposition to your ideals.

Edit: No, Bytedance will not divest from TikTok. We won't let it happen. You won't pry TikTok out of our cold dead hands, you'll have to ban it and suffer the consequences.

If Tik Tok can be banned, then Faux News owned by Australian Rupert Murdereroch can be banned as well.

Murdoch is an American citizen
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2024, 04:44:20 PM »

If there is anything that would lose the election for Biden it is this. 18-24 year olds would not vote for him if he signs this and may turnout to vote third party. Plus there are people who make their living off Tik Tok so you'd essentially be taking away income from people.

He could really do with those three votes.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2024, 04:44:42 PM »

No I just hate the fact that American tech companies have been doing the best and both the EU/China restrict them from competition in their sectors while we have to allow their stuff freely here(Spotify/TikTok). Free trade with Europe would be 100% ideal although more arguable when it comes to China.

I would have expected a libertarian to be happy with having greater choices irrespective of what is done in other countries.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2024, 04:45:49 PM »

I would have expected a libertarian to be happy with having greater choices irrespective of what is done in other countries.

In the Long run, I care about the American economy as well and letting these countries run  over our generous trade policies is going to kill us.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2024, 04:46:33 PM »

People who use these apps to the point of sensory addiction are forging their own chains. When you log on, you may as well be signing up for a lobotomy.

However, even if the worst fears about TikTok are borne out, what Bytedance is doing to Americans is no different from what we have done, are doing, and will continue to do to ourselves.

What's most distressing about the ongoing political conversation is just how ignorant politicians are of the real social problems that emerge from new forms of media connectivity. The kids will have to dig themselves out of this hole someday, because Millenials (and older generations) are still digging.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2024, 04:47:12 PM »

Spotify is effectively ran out of the US mostly now, at least it's North American operations are. Even the parent company of all those subsidiaries isn't incorporated in Sweden but some tax haven country. Which is a problem of its own but one that applies to a lot of nominally American companies too.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2024, 04:47:26 PM »

It's amazing that a forum that skews towards young people is so supportive of a TikTok ban. Just remember, that by supporting the TikTok ban you

1. Don't believe in the First Amendment and freedom of speech. "The CCP" you like to demonize is responsible for exactly none of the viral content on TikTok, your fellow citizens are
2. Are carrying water for Mark Zuckerberg, who is one of the hidden hands behind this legislation as the main beneficiary.
3. Are carrying water for the FBI and NSA to gain additional surveillance capabilities and authority. I've never heard of anyone going to jail over VPN use in China and Mark Warner wants to hand out 20 year prison sentences for that.

Looks like blind anti-China hate and jingoism has corrupted your minds. Maybe one day you'll wake up and realize that and regret that you supported policies that are in total opposition to your ideals.

Edit: No, Bytedance will not divest from TikTok. We won't let it happen. You won't pry TikTok out of our cold dead hands, you'll have to ban it and suffer the consequences.

If Tik Tok can be banned, then Faux News owned by Australian Rupert Murdereroch can be banned as well.

Murdoch is an American citizen

I wasn't aware of that. Maybe there should be an investigation if he lives in the U.S for the minimum legal required amount of time.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2024, 04:48:32 PM »

People who use these apps to the point of sensory addiction are forging their own chains. When you log on, you may as well be signing up for a lobotomy.

However, even if the worst fears about TikTok are borne out, what Bytedance is doing to Americans is no different from what we have done, are doing, and will continue to do to ourselves.

What's most distressing about the ongoing political conversation is just how ignorant politicians are of the real social problems that emerge from new forms of media connectivity. The kids will have to dig themselves out of this hole someday, because Millenials (and older generations) are still digging.

To the degree that this is true, it isn't something that can necessarily be fixed by laws/government.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2024, 04:49:11 PM »

1. The CCP bans our tech companies so it’s only fair we ban theirs

2. Mark Zuckerburg is an American citizen and thus is protected by the constitution. Before you try to do whataboutism here , yes any foreign company regardless of what country it is from is not protected by our constitution so thus it can be banned . That’s just a simple protectionist measure

3. That’s not the bill that advanced

4. You are carrying water for a communist regime
pikachu
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2024, 04:57:05 PM »

Would be funny if the us bans tiktok before taiwan does.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2024, 05:13:45 PM »

To the degree that this is true, it isn't something that can necessarily be fixed by laws/government.

It certainly won't be fixed by this one.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2024, 05:17:49 PM »

"You" won't let TikTok be pried out of "your" cold dead hands? Brother in poasting, you live in New Jersey! You personally aren't the CCP, no matter how much you shill for them! It's still your Congress!! And so long as TikTok is a wholly owned subsidiary of a Chinese technology firm like ByteDance, your United States Congress is constitutionally empowered to investigate the potential effects of its foreign ownership's participation in the U.S. business market on our national security & to negotiate with the involved parties &/or refer the existence of national security risks to the President: even in a 1st Amendment-protected public forum, "the government may impose reasonable restrictions on the time, place, or manner of protected speech, provided the restrictions 'are justified without reference to the content of the regulated speech, that they are narrowly tailored to serve a significant governmental interest, and that they leave open ample alternative channels for communication of the information.'" See Ward v. Rock Against Racism, 491 U. S. 781, 491 U. S. 791 (1989) (quoting Clark v. Community for Creative Non-Violence, 468 U. S. 288, 468 U. S. 293 (1984)). I guess they don't teach you in NJ about how foreign trade law works, or the application of intermediate scrutiny in 1st Amendment free-speech jurisprudence, huh?
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2024, 05:35:15 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2024, 05:38:57 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

Man, you'd think they want to improve their standing with young people, especially given their declining opinion of him given the current handling of the war in Gaza, but no, double down on getting rid of an app the overwhelming majority of them have, and use, regularly. So don't be surprised when youth turnout is lower than expected for them come November.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2024, 05:39:06 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2024, 05:46:15 PM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

It certainly won't be fixed by this one.

Even the best laws/policies tend not to 'fix' problems but to minimize harms. If you are looking for magic fixes, I suggest looking in an alternative universe because that's not this reality.

In this case, I think you are referring to social issues that are largely well outside the scope of laws/policies. There may be some things that government action can do to help out on the margins.

I also disagree that things are as bad as you suggest. For instance, I think it's not at all contradictory that Americans, as they are often criticized by outsiders, want immediate gratification which is probably true, but that does not mean that these same Americans can't accept deferred gratification. Wanting immediate gratification on some things does not mean that the same people can't delay gratification to work hard for things they want on other things and I think the evidence shows that is true for most Americans.

The amount of American entrepreneurship not borne of desperation, which as a Canadian I envy, for instance, still overwhelms the rest of the (western) world.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2024, 05:43:21 PM »

I mean, if Biden wants to completely blow his chances of winning back young voters, go right ahead. It's no surprise this forum supports it without considering that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2024, 06:12:34 PM »

Who is “we?”  

Also RTFLMAO at anyone who believes this will hurt Biden with young voters in any remotely meaningful way.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2024, 06:30:08 PM »

I'm not sure if this is constitutional, but either way, I won't shed any tears for TikTok. It has poisoned the minds of millions of young Americans. It will also be funny to watch the seethe coming from it being banned.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2024, 06:46:52 PM »

I’m not convinced of the government’s authority to ban it, but TikTok is a cancerous app and it would be a net positive to the world if it stopped existing.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2024, 06:59:44 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2024, 07:10:23 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Needless to say, I am in favor of banning or forcing the sale of this app, owned and operated by the Chinese Communist Party, that is designed to be as addicting as humanly possible, and operates a confidential algorithm that as best anyone can tell is intentionally designed to maximize the amount of dangerous and harmful misinformation and political extremism injected into the brains of its users.

At the very least, the fact that such an overwhelmingly powerful information-spreading tool does not have any sort of controls on false or dangerous information amounts to handing each and every user an AK-47 pointed at the brains of every other user, which is wildly irresponsible and sufficient pretense for government regulation.

People can say "oh all social media is like this" but YouTube and Twitter and Instagram are way less effective as disinformation vectors.  TikTok places absolutely no safeguards on what people say, and more likely than not has biased the algorithm to actively encourage extremism, misery, dangerous behavior and flat-out lies. Because this kind of content simply does not flourish on any other platform to anywhere near the extent to which it flourishes on TikTok.  I mean I'm on Twitter, and it's pretty bad, but it's nowhere near as bad as TikTok for this kind of thing.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2024, 08:02:01 PM »

I'm not sure if this is constitutional, but either way, I won't shed any tears for TikTok. It has poisoned the minds of millions of young Americans. It will also be funny to watch the seethe coming from it being banned.

I wonder if it will be as funny when young people just decide not to turn up to vote. This forum really does have nothing but hatred for young people.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2024, 08:04:59 PM »

I wonder if it will be as funny when young people just decide not to turn up to vote. This forum really does have nothing but hatred for young people.

I don’t know how to break this to you, but young Australians can’t vote in the 2024 US Presidential Election.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2024, 08:07:03 PM »

I don’t know how to break this to you, but young Australians can’t vote in the 2024 US Presidential Election.

And I don't know how to break this to you, but people can express their opinions on things outside of their own country.

Oh, and if you have to appeal to nationalism, you've lost the argument.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies