What was the Best Address to a Joint Session of Congress by a President in your lifetime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:50:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What was the Best Address to a Joint Session of Congress by a President in your lifetime
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was the Best Address to a Joint Session of Congress by a President in your lifetime  (Read 469 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2024, 12:02:14 AM »

I have to say this one gets it by far:

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 12:35:41 AM »

I don't really remember any of them despite having watched nearly all of them. Obama's joint address in September 2009 was interesting I guess, since it had the "you lie" moment and was not a SOTU. I also just generally like when foreign leaders address congress, but Zelenskyy's is the only of those that stands out, and that was more from the circumstances of the speech than the speech itself.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 01:49:36 AM »

Only beep boop could straight facedly cite a state of the union which specifically laid the groundwork for one of the most disastrous Wars in American history to be the best his lifetime. Roll Eyes
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 01:55:15 AM »

Only beep boop could straight facedly cite a state of the union which specifically laid the groundwork for one of the most disastrous Wars in American history to be the best his lifetime. Roll Eyes

Afghanistan was 100% justified and this his speech right after 9/11 so this wasn’t when his axis of evil speech
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 02:28:14 AM »

Afghanistan was 100% justified and this his speech right after 9/11 so this wasn’t when his axis of evil speech

It. Unquestionably. Laid. The. Groundwork.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 03:06:39 AM »

I can't choose a best one, but I can recall moments that were memorable: the Obama "you lie" moment, Nancy Pelosi's various trolling of Trump, and Biden's interactions with Democrats and Republicans.

Actually, more of the infamously embarrassing or awkward rebuttals are more memorable to me. Especially with how it's ruined almost all the "rising stars" that were meant to be spotlighted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 04:25:58 AM »

Actually, more of the infamously embarrassing or awkward rebuttals are more memorable to me. Especially with how it's ruined almost all the "rising stars" that were meant to be spotlighted.

Unfortunately, Bill Clinton's terrible response didn't end his career.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 11:01:13 AM »

Was Cheney not there to protect the line of succession?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 11:06:32 AM »

Was Cheney not there to protect the line of succession?

Yes
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 11:19:37 AM »

President Biden's speech last night was the best address to congress I ever heard. I have watched everyone since 2013

That said.... the best response/exchange I ever heard was in 2015

Obama: I have no more campaigns to run...
Republicans: (applaud)
Obama: Yeah cuz I won both of them

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 11:57:21 AM »

Not to mention the PATRIOT Act, which, despite not being a single bill with a catchy name at the time of Bush's speech, was already being formulated and passed just a month later.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 02:47:05 PM »

The point of this speech was to show how United we were after 9/11 and how strong the state of our union was despite the attacks and W did that marvelously .

Like you can’t argue in terms of delivery and the moment the speech was given , that it was a fantastic speech . Given you followed politics then , weren’t you also standing up and cheering the president at the time along with pretty much the entire nation .
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 03:09:06 PM »

Not that I ever noticed this...but where is Dick Cheney in this speech?  Robert Byrd, as Senate PPT, appears to be acting as President of the Senate here
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 03:23:33 PM »

Not that I ever noticed this...but where is Dick Cheney in this speech?  Robert Byrd, as Senate PPT, appears to be acting as President of the Senate here

For a few weeks or months after 9/11 , Bush and Cheney were not in the same room together so they could protect the line of succession
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 05:06:02 PM »

God I can't remember them all, but I'm sure it was from my favorite - Ronald Raygun.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 05:50:13 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2024, 06:03:20 PM by Crumpets »

The point of this speech was to show how United we were after 9/11 and how strong the state of our union was despite the attacks and W did that marvelously .

Like you can’t argue in terms of delivery and the moment the speech was given , that it was a fantastic speech . Given you followed politics then , weren’t you also standing up and cheering the president at the time along with pretty much the entire nation.

I think this is a fair read of the speech, but it's hard to separate even a good speech from what followed next. If the Gettysburg Address had been followed by a Confederate victory or if MLK's "I have a dream" speech had not been followed by major progress on civil rights over the next few years, they would be very differently remembered today if they were remembered at all.

If Afghanistan became a thriving democracy within a few years of 9/11 and the US remained as united as we were at the time, maybe Bush's speech would be remembered as one of the great speeches this century. But since it was followed by 7 years of division, hurt, and incompetence at home and abroad, people remember it as just another Bush speech, or at best, Bush's last good speech.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2024, 03:38:04 AM »

Like you can’t argue in terms of delivery and the moment the speech was given , that it was a fantastic speech . Given you followed politics then , weren’t you also standing up and cheering the president at the time along with pretty much the entire nation .

Except it meant nothing in practice. Mr we're all United in the face of this terrorist attack immediately turned around and use 911 as a political Club against democrats, even going so far as to have run ads run comparing an amputee War veteran to Osama Bin Laden because he supported the right of Homeland Security and TSA agents to unionize. Words mean nothing without action, and Bush proved he didn't believe a word of what he said about being so-called united. United behind him sure, but not United together in a sense of compromise.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 07:21:00 AM »

We can all lament on how this was the precursor to Iraq etc etc but in the moment, W’s speech was the most unified I’ve ever seen this country. Especially compared to the nightmare that is today
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 10:08:59 PM »

We can all lament on how this was the precursor to Iraq etc etc but in the moment, W’s speech was the most unified I’ve ever seen this country. Especially compared to the nightmare that is today

The other President George Bush at least didn't do as much evil with his 90% approval rating.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies