Do you feel sorry for Katie Porter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:14:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you feel sorry for Katie Porter?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Wicked witch of the whiteboard
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Do you feel sorry for Katie Porter?  (Read 676 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2024, 10:01:13 AM »

I've become much less sympathetic to this argument as time has gone on. From Nina Turner's quip about ((evil money)) to this sh*t, it's clear that these candidates had bigger problems.

Money is huge, and no one PAC should be spending as much money as an entire campaign. But they can. Even then is not an insurmountable advantage. Summer Lee is one example. Even on the establishment side, John Fetterman or Chris Pappas overcame massive outside, corporate spending and won an election. The all-powerful Jewbux couldn't even take out Tlaib and Omar! And Tlaib has actively hedged on Biden since October 7th.

If I wanted people to believe outside money stole my election, I would get more than 14% of the vote. I would also not spend 8 years bashing the Democratic nominee and the party as a whole. Candidates have proven that they can overcome their flaws and the environment. It's time to actually do it.

It's funny that while you were a Sanders diehard in 2016-2020 and even left the Democrats over it, but are no longer sympathetic to the idea that money can rig an election. I was a Clinton guy, although somewhat sympathetic, didn't think the 2016 primary was rigged. But now, I agree with Porter that the primary was rigged, and you may be more likely to sport a D avatar in the future than me.

In both cases, I supported the female candidate and you supported the male candidate. I should point out that on Open Secrets, Fetterman actually outspent Oz (total spending $75 million to $49 million) and also had more outside money supporting him than Oz. https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary?cycle=2022&id=PAS1

Porter otoh was outspent by Schiff, $23 million - $38 million, and had $10 million opposing her by a crypto PAC! https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary?cycle=2024&id=CAS2

I won't even get into Summer Lee and Pappas because, running for a Congressional seat or in a state like NH is obviously nothing like running in California. My view remains that money plays a corrosive role in politics that undermines our democracy, particularly in states like CA, but that the extreme charges of the Sanders supporters in 2016 were exaggerated.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/20/bloomberg-1-billion-104-day-campaign-197216
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2024, 08:17:19 AM »

I've become much less sympathetic to this argument as time has gone on. From Nina Turner's quip about ((evil money)) to this sh*t, it's clear that these candidates had bigger problems.

Money is huge, and no one PAC should be spending as much money as an entire campaign. But they can. Even then is not an insurmountable advantage. Summer Lee is one example. Even on the establishment side, John Fetterman or Chris Pappas overcame massive outside, corporate spending and won an election. The all-powerful Jewbux couldn't even take out Tlaib and Omar! And Tlaib has actively hedged on Biden since October 7th.

If I wanted people to believe outside money stole my election, I would get more than 14% of the vote. I would also not spend 8 years bashing the Democratic nominee and the party as a whole. Candidates have proven that they can overcome their flaws and the environment. It's time to actually do it.

It's funny that while you were a Sanders diehard in 2016-2020 and even left the Democrats over it, but are no longer sympathetic to the idea that money can rig an election. I was a Clinton guy, although somewhat sympathetic, didn't think the 2016 primary was rigged. But now, I agree with Porter that the primary was rigged, and you may be more likely to sport a D avatar in the future than me.

In both cases, I supported the female candidate and you supported the male candidate. I should point out that on Open Secrets, Fetterman actually outspent Oz (total spending $75 million to $49 million) and also had more outside money supporting him than Oz. https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary?cycle=2022&id=PAS1

Porter otoh was outspent by Schiff, $23 million - $38 million, and had $10 million opposing her by a crypto PAC! https://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary?cycle=2024&id=CAS2

I won't even get into Summer Lee and Pappas because, running for a Congressional seat or in a state like NH is obviously nothing like running in California. My view remains that money plays a corrosive role in politics that undermines our democracy, particularly in states like CA, but that the extreme charges of the Sanders supporters in 2016 were exaggerated.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/20/bloomberg-1-billion-104-day-campaign-197216

Bloomberg was a complete turd with absolutely zero political talent. You, BRTD, may very well have more talent than him. Nonetheless, he was able to get 2.475 million votes, which is nothing to sneeze at. The point is not that money is sufficient to win, but that it is necessary.

The other NYC mayor in the race, Bill DeBlasio, did not even make it to the Iowa caucuses.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2024, 08:35:42 AM »

no.  I think someone else said it here but I'll say it again: If you can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

I've had to deal with months long unemployment and depleted savings while living with relatives.  Katie Porter is a professional politician with a Harvard law degree who lost a popularity contest.  Why the hell should I feel sorry for her?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2024, 10:47:57 PM »

I am sympathetic to a point. I'm not saying it's not an advantage, because it absolutely is. I'm just saying that it's not insurmountable. I'm not gonna split hairs here - I was a Lee guy but Schiff was my #2 because of Porter's support of Netanyahu's power grab over the judiciary. Schiff is just aggressively mid - he represents the empty "own the cons" section of the party I distance myself from - but on policy he's not going to be a total disaster.

In some cases, like Nina Turner and Katie Porter, a cursory analysis of their election suggests other factors than money. Money doesn't explain Turner's total inability to attract any new voters or Porter reaching only the mid-teens. I think the current system we live in is absolutely disgusting, and an illegitimate decision from an illegitimate hack court. But these are the rules we have to play by, and we do have to fight before we can change it.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2024, 02:13:35 AM »

I am sympathetic to a point. I'm not saying it's not an advantage, because it absolutely is. I'm just saying that it's not insurmountable. I'm not gonna split hairs here - I was a Lee guy but Schiff was my #2 because of Porter's support of Netanyahu's power grab over the judiciary. Schiff is just aggressively mid - he represents the empty "own the cons" section of the party I distance myself from - but on policy he's not going to be a total disaster.

In some cases, like Nina Turner and Katie Porter, a cursory analysis of their election suggests other factors than money. Money doesn't explain Turner's total inability to attract any new voters or Porter reaching only the mid-teens. I think the current system we live in is absolutely disgusting, and an illegitimate decision from an illegitimate hack court. But these are the rules we have to play by, and we do have to fight before we can change it.

So would you still denounce Chuck Schumer and/or the DSCC coronating many candidates in Democratic Senate primaries from 2006-2020 by giving such candidates overwhelming financial and institutional support, sometimes very early on in the election cycle? Aside from causing some candidates to lose their respective primaries, such moves also caused others to either drop out or refuse to run altogether. Some of these "coronated" candidates ended up blowing winnable races - I estimate that Democrats could have won an additional 3-5 Senate races in the 2016 and 2020 election cycles combined had they put up better candidates and/or run better campaigns.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2024, 04:35:47 AM »

Gotta love the naked bipartisan misogyny in here!
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2024, 10:10:59 AM »

Gotta love the naked bipartisan misogyny in here!
She made Dems look like hypocrites on one of the most defining issues. I believe that I would've voted for her if I lived in California, but I don't think that misogyny has anything to do with it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies