Trump calls for debates with Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 06:23:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Trump calls for debates with Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump calls for debates with Biden  (Read 988 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2024, 05:31:53 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 05:34:52 PM »

So, this means he is in fact losing.

But that's fine, I'm sure Biden's campaign would jump at the opportunity.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 05:39:57 PM »

If you are the Biden campaign, I wonder if you would consider proposing an early presidential debate. The idea being that if you do believe Biden would still trounce trump in a normal debate setting, you get that in front of the nation ASAP and maybe turn the tides by dispelling the notion that Biden is senile and trump is who he always was.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 05:43:12 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2024, 05:46:25 PM by Tutankhuman Bakari Sellers »

Biden should debate Trump that would stop some of these polls from being R biased. I thought it was only temp that the R biased in polls but obviously, the polls are carrying it's R bias from 22 into 24 and MI, WI and PA aren't AL

Common sense if it's decided in MOE it's gonna go to Biden because PROVISIONS BALLOTS ARE D NOT R LEANING THATS WHAT HAPPENED IN 20

I was an E judge yesterday im 303 states Provisions ballots are D Lean that includes MI, WI and PA
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 05:47:02 PM »

If you are the Biden campaign, I wonder if you would consider proposing an early presidential debate. The idea being that if you do believe Biden would still trounce trump in a normal debate setting, you get that in front of the nation ASAP and maybe turn the tides by dispelling the notion that Biden is senile and trump is who he always was.

I don't know.

Trump beat Kaitlan Collins in the CNN town hall.
Biden is not as alert as Kaitlan Collins.

But what I expect from a Trump vs Biden debate is a Trump vs Moderator debate, with Biden just occationally trying to interupt with some nonsense from 1962.

I think debates are a negative for both of them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 05:47:16 PM »

Now that Nikki Haley is out he wants to debate?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 05:50:00 PM »

The Commission on Presidential Debates' current proposed schedule:

1st Debate: September 16th in Texas
VP Debate: September 25th in Pennsylvania
2nd Debate: October 1st in Virginia
3rd Debate: October 9th in Utah

So far neither of the two campaigns has officially agreed to these dates, though Trump seems open based on that Truth. So the question becomes does Biden push for these official proposed dates or, as some people here are saying, try to go earlier?

Maybe a good proposal would be something like one debate a month from, say, June to the Election. You could get in five debates that way, which would be plenty. I think Biden should absolutely take him up on this in general just because when you're the one who has to make up ground the more opportunities to shake things up the better. It's the reason why Trump made such a huge unforced error pulling out of Debate 2 last cycle so we lost one of the three debates: Trump was already down and he skipped an opportunity to reverse that. Biden should absolutely look at going above the standard 3 and going for debates months earlier than September.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 05:59:48 PM »

Usually the candidate asking for a debate is considered to be at a disadvantage. This is quite telling.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 06:01:04 PM »

The Commission on Presidential Debates' current proposed schedule:

1st Debate: September 16th in Texas
VP Debate: September 25th in Pennsylvania
2nd Debate: October 1st in Virginia
3rd Debate: October 9th in Utah

So far neither of the two campaigns has officially agreed to these dates, though Trump seems open based on that Truth. So the question becomes does Biden push for these official proposed dates or, as some people here are saying, try to go earlier?

Maybe a good proposal would be something like one debate a month from, say, June to the Election. You could get in five debates that way, which would be plenty. I think Biden should absolutely take him up on this in general just because when you're the one who has to make up ground the more opportunities to shake things up the better. It's the reason why Trump made such a huge unforced error pulling out of Debate 2 last cycle so we lost one of the three debates: Trump was already down and he skipped an opportunity to reverse that. Biden should absolutely look at going above the standard 3 and going for debates months earlier than September.

Trump lost because he caught COVID and didn't wear a mask during the second debate not because he skipped Debate 2 and Mike Pence did poorly in the Veep and it looked like he caught COVID as well
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 06:04:20 PM »

If they do CPD that means RFK is probably going to be on the stage right?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 06:05:31 PM »

That's the big downside. He shouldn't be on a debate stage, let alone a candidate to begin with.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 06:16:41 PM »

Debates by a normal person's standards or debates by Trump's standards.

Also, there is no way he wrote that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 07:19:46 PM »

I think that's a great idea. And if Biden is terrible in that early debate, that's the opening for a tough conversation before it's too late. It's win-win for Democrats.
Cyrusman
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 07:39:15 PM »

That's the big downside. He shouldn't be on a debate stage, let alone a candidate to begin with.

Why? Because he could take away votes from Biden? He's done nothing to warrant disqualification.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 07:39:40 PM »

Is this a Carter vs  Ford sitch where both genuinely have more to gain than lose at about an equal amount?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 07:41:50 PM »

Why? Because he could take away votes from Biden? He's done nothing to warrant disqualification.

What does his campaign even offer besides being the nephew of a former President, son of a noteworthy Attorney General/Senator, and basically just being a protest candidate? Any moment he is being asked a question on a debate stage is a moment taking away from the other two candidates who actually could win. It's a waste.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 07:46:20 PM »

At a bare minimum, RFK Jr. should not be at the debate until he’s on the ballot in 270+ electoral votes of states. Right now he’s nowhere close.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 07:49:15 PM »

At a bare minimum, RFK Jr. should not be at the debate until he’s on the ballot in 270+ electoral votes of states. Right now he’s nowhere close.

Indeed, this is one of the requirements:

Federal Election Commission (“FEC”) regulations require a debate sponsor to make its candidate selection decisions on the basis of “pre-established, objective” criteria. On October 1, 2019, the CPD adopted its 2020 Nonpartisan Candidate Selection Criteria. Under the 2020 Criteria, to receive an invitation to debate, a candidate must: (i) be Constitutionally eligible to hold the office of President of the United States;  (ii) appear on a sufficient number of state ballots to have a mathematical chance of winning a majority vote in the Electoral College; (iii) have a level of support of at least 15 percent of the national electorate, as determined by five national public opinion polling organizations, using the average of those organizations’ most recently publicly-reported results at the time of the determination. The polls to be relied upon will be selected based on the quality of the methodology employed, the reputation of the polling organizations and the frequency of the polling conducted. The CPD will identify the selected polling organizations well in advance of the time the criteria are applied.

https://www.debates.org/about-cpd/overview/
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 08:18:13 PM »

I find it really weird that Trump keeps talking about debates because A) the debate schedule is literally set, and has been set for a while, it's not like candidates just randomly choose when to have them, B) he didn't do any GOP debates and C) pretty sure the RNC didn't even commit to doing any GE debates b/c of their beef with the Presidential Commission or whatever

This comes off as desperate.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 08:25:49 PM »

Hopefully he does agree to do debates in the end, if he keeps it from becoming a 2020 first debate s**tfest and it's just as bad as the 2016 debates.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2024, 08:26:59 PM »

More evidence in the "Trump doesn't know what he's doing even when he's winning" camp. Trump has no reason to demand debates no given he has a national lead of a couple points at the moment. Last thing he should do is remind half the country why they hated him in the first place.

As an aside, is it normal for the last debate to be a whole month out from the election? I feel like it's usually not that long.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2024, 09:11:23 PM »

He wants debates because the race is close and Biden looks and sounds very old and "out of it". If he was way ahead of Biden or if Biden looked and sounded better, he wouldn't bother.

To be honest, I barely remember their 2020 debates. I think I chose to erase them from my memories.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2024, 09:15:01 PM »

I would love to see Trump debate naked. That would be so funny.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2024, 09:19:15 PM »

He wants debates because the race is close and Biden looks and sounds very old and "out of it". If he was way ahead of Biden or if Biden looked and sounded better, he wouldn't bother.

To be honest, I barely remember their 2020 debates. I think I chose to erase them from my memories.

Yes, this makes sense if they think it's a toss up by default or they are starting down.  Doesn't make sense* if they believe the Republican version of 2008 polling, would be best to lie low in that case.

*It's clear Trump simply enjoys putting on a show even when it's not necessarily optimal to do so.  He might demand debates for personal reasons even if his internal polling was 60% Trump/35% Biden in the NPV hahaha
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2024, 09:25:27 PM »

Bush, Obama, and Trump all had a really bad first debate as the incumbent. Will Biden? 🤔
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies