California Prop 1 vote split almost 50/50
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:41:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Prop 1 vote split almost 50/50
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How would you vote on Prop 1?
Yes (Californian)

Yes (Non-Californian)

No (Californian)

No (Non-Californian)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: California Prop 1 vote split almost 50/50  (Read 1786 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2024, 12:09:36 PM »

https://calmatters.org/politics/elections/2024/03/election-result-proposition-1/

Proposition 1 is a two-part ballot initiative. It includes a bond to build treatment facilities and permanent supportive housing for people with mental health and addiction challenges. It also proposes changes to a longstanding tax on personal incomes over $1 million, known as the Mental Health Services Act, by requiring counties to spend 30% of that revenue on housing instead of other services.

As of 6:40 a.m. with about 3.7 million votes counted, the measure is leading by a margin of 50.2% to 49.8%.

I voted yes on this proposition-- not because I think the state actually needs the money for this (they have more than enough to solve this problem several times over), but because I don't want them to be able to point to the failure of this proposition as an excuse for why they haven't cleaned up the streets. If this loses, Newsom will simply claim that it means the voters don't think homelessness and mental health are significant problems, and the do-nothing Democrats will continue to ignore this crisis.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 12:22:12 PM »

Surprised this was so close; has to be disappointing for Newsom regardless of where this ends up.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 06:21:16 PM »

I didn't vote on it at all because I wasn't sure how effective it would be. With that said it's hard to get people to vote to give county money to the state especially in more conservative counties.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 06:24:36 PM »

I didn't vote on it at all because I wasn't sure how effective it would be. With that said it's hard to get people to vote to give county money to the state especially in more conservative counties.

I also didn't vote. There was talk of forced treatment and the state taking all the power away from local areas, which was enough for me to not vote for it, but not enough for me to vote against it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 06:30:21 PM »

I also didn't vote. There was talk of forced treatment and the state taking all the power away from local areas, which was enough for me to not vote for it, but not enough for me to vote against it.

That was what convinced me to vote for it.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 06:32:36 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2024, 08:12:16 PM by LostFellow »

I have no clue how housing-first (as opposed to treatment-first) has not been thoroughly discredited at this point (particularly in a state like CA that can't freaking build homes). I'm hoping that this passes, and the alliance against this by "progressive" mental health professionals looking out for their own jobs, "I just feel local control is better" non-ideological voters, and right wing budget hawks is emblematic of what is so wrong with CA politics.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 06:39:07 PM »

My gf voted against it cause she doesn't trust Newsom (she's mostly apolitical)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 06:47:38 PM »

Almost certainly against; I think better-quality housing can be produced by the private market than the state and demanding that counties spend some fraction of their income on housing no matter what just incentivizes developers to rely on government contracts as much as possible, which would be bad. (I also just think progressive taxation is bad, period, and if it can't be eliminated then at least we can keep the proceeds from getting used for anything.) I also have very little confidence in the mental-health stuff, but it's honestly not what jumps out immediately.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 07:51:52 PM »

Californian here. Voted yes, but I don’t really know. There’s a lot of these propositions that go to the electorate that are just esoteric and seem like things that the legislature should just take care of.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 08:02:45 PM »

Maybe it's just because I'm 100% ignorant about this proposition, but based purely on the description it kinda seems like a no-brainer. More funding for mental health and addiction treatment and more housing are both good things, what's the downside here? I guess the only thing I'd question is what's gonna get cut in favor of more housing, but I assume that's up to the counties. I probably would've voted for it, but I'd have to look into it more.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 07:19:41 PM »

https://www.dailynews.com/2024/03/08/prop-1-mental-health-measure-hangs-on-by-slim-0-1-lead-in-friday-vote-update/

Hanging on by literally .1%
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 11:09:54 PM »

I'd vote yes. I'm surprised that it's this close, although California is known to be a more moderate state when it come to propositions.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 10:02:31 AM »

I voted Yes. Not sure how effective it will be, let's give it a shot though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 10:33:46 AM »

I don't care for the handcuffs this puts on local budgets.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2024, 11:23:55 AM »

I don't care for the handcuffs this puts on local budgets.
I do understand that concern, though I feel like this should be something that's getting funded anyway, so if it isn't then forcing a floor is probably for the best. If localities want higher funding then they can, but mental health *does* need to be funded, and this is at least one way to do so.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2024, 01:28:41 PM »

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/03/11/prop-1-results-california-elections/72934312007/

It looks like the opponents are conceding, but this was still one of the closest proposition races in my lifetime. This article also has some good info about why California takes so long to count its ballots (mostly due to mail voting).
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2024, 01:47:07 PM »

Voted yes and glad it's looking likely. As someone who's been menaced regularly and attacked once by deinstitutionalized mentally ill and addicts (in both the blue and red states I've lived in by the way), and who's always dodging needles and human waste in the streets, we need to house and treat the downtrodden in our society- if not for their sake, then for ours. One of many band-aids this state needs so long as capitalism remains.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 11:29:07 PM »

Should have lost, oh well.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 12:40:41 PM »

This one would literally require a coin-flip on my part to decide, especially since I've tuned out of the specifics, because at face value, I could go either way.

I'd have to ask family and friends more attuned for their views.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2024, 02:08:51 PM »

How on earth did the margin stay the exact same as the vote count when from 30% to 95% Has that ever happened brfore?
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2024, 02:26:58 PM »

I voted no because friends of mine who work in housing were strongly opposed to losing local control. The proposition also felt deceptive because it wasn't really doing anything different just giving the state more control.

That being said I'm not that upset that it has passed, but I am skeptical that the state will magically do a better job with solving this problem which is complex and needs coordination between all levels of government.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2024, 07:18:09 AM »

I voted no because friends of mine who work in housing were strongly opposed to losing local control. The proposition also felt deceptive because it wasn't really doing anything different just giving the state more control.

So if it passes, what's the end goal of the proposition, state local zoning laws in a certain respect are eliminated?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2024, 07:43:44 PM »

NYT calls it in favor of passing
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2024, 09:27:23 AM »

Would have voted Yes if I was in CA. This is worth trying given circumstances.
bayareabay
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2024, 10:40:32 AM »

I voted no because it sounded Prop 1 has mandatory, forced treatment. It was brought forth by a squarely centrist Dem who recently praised Reagan.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies