Would you be surprised if Nathan Hochman doesn’t win in November?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:16:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Would you be surprised if Nathan Hochman doesn’t win in November?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Would you be surprised if Nathan Hochman doesn’t win in November?  (Read 965 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2024, 10:19:38 AM »

Would you be surprised if the de facto GOP nominee doesn’t defeat George Gascon?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 12:00:23 AM »

Gascon is really bad, but then again this is LA county. In Loudon county the boring Bob Anderson only beat Buta Biberaj by 300 votes in a much redder county than LA with off-year turnout. I hope Hochman wins, but I am not expecting him to win at all, and would be surprised if he somehow won.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 12:02:27 AM »

Gascon is really bad, but then again this is LA county. In Loudon county the boring Bob Anderson only beat Buta Biberaj by 300 votes in a much redder county than LA with off-year turnout. I hope Hochman wins, but I am not expecting him to win at all, and would be surprised if he somehow won.

Yes, but LA races are nonpartisan.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 12:11:01 PM »

Who’s favored to win?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 03:09:59 AM »

Yes, but LA races are nonpartisan.
No election with a decent sized electorate in America is truly nonpartisan
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 12:03:36 PM »

Hochman is almost DOA.

Gascon will have the establishment backing, progressive backing, and the benefit of something as simple as having a Spanish last name.

Unless the establishment Democrats starts supporting Hochman (which seems just very unlikely due to partisanship) I don't see Gascon losing at this point. In California to win as a moderate you need to be a Democrat. (see LA mayoral election).
Spectator
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 07:46:37 PM »

Yes, to be honest. 23% as an incumbent is almost unheard of, I don’t care how many challengers he had. He’s a decided underdog in a non-partisan race. LA County is much less blue than Seattle was, and Seattle elected a Republican City Attorney in a similarly non-partisan race.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 01:33:21 PM »

Yes, to be honest. 23% as an incumbent is almost unheard of, I don’t care how many challengers he had. He’s a decided underdog in a non-partisan race. LA County is much less blue than Seattle was, and Seattle elected a Republican City Attorney in a similarly non-partisan race.
Seattle isn’t 10 million people
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 05:08:39 PM »

That and Davison had many democrats backing her, including the two previous governors
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 07:42:25 AM »

In California to win as a moderate you need to be a Democrat. (see LA mayoral election).
Karen Bass was the progressive candidate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2024, 10:04:51 AM »

Gascon has plenty of issues, but his strategy will almost certainly be to frame his opponent as an extreme conservative who wants to bring extremism to the DA's office. In a presidential year that almost certainly will work.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2024, 10:06:15 AM »

That and Davison had many democrats backing her, including the two previous governors

You don’t think many high profile Democrats will be trying to get rid of Gascon? The Democrat sheriff already is.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2024, 11:02:55 AM »

In California to win as a moderate you need to be a Democrat. (see LA mayoral election).
Karen Bass was the progressive candidate.

What I was referring to (rather unclearly) was how Caruso made the mayoral race close by becoming a Democrat and gathering support from the party.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2024, 01:31:01 PM »

You don’t think many high profile Democrats will be trying to get rid of Gascon? The Democrat sheriff already is.

Thomas-Kennedy is significantly more left than Gascón. Kennedy-Thomas had endorsements from DSA and Indivisible, Gascón has the endorsement of the LA Democratic Party   
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »

Thomas-Kennedy is significantly more left than Gascón. Kennedy-Thomas had endorsements from DSA and Indivisible, Gascón has the endorsement of the LA Democratic Party   
Exactly Thomas-Kennedy was a abolitionist, Gascon is a former cop and police chief and has actually received scrutiny from the left for prosecuting some juveniles as adults in especially heinous cases. Gascon is a reformer, and he prosecuted corrupt cops hes probably the most left wing DA in LA county's history but thats because we have a history of very right wing DA's like Steve Cooley. I expect Gascon to win but it'll probably be closer than his first election. He's been smeared relentlessly since he took office as being responsible for every crime in Los Angeles by the police union, and that has done quite a bit of damage to his image but I think hell be able to pull through based off partisanship, and when you take a real look at his record hes done a good job as DA. Violent Crime is down across the board, certain types of property crime has gone up but theres no definitive link with that and Gascon's performance as DA, its more than likely linked to the increase in poverty and the cost of living.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 03:04:13 PM »

Was Steve Cooley just very conservative? Or was he downright racist like Orange County's Todd Spitzer?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies