SB 120-03: Let There Be Duels Amendment - Failed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:11:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 120-03: Let There Be Duels Amendment - Failed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 120-03: Let There Be Duels Amendment - Failed  (Read 544 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2024, 01:52:38 AM »
« edited: March 24, 2024, 11:48:52 PM by PPT Spiral »

Senate Resolution
To amend the Constitution to permit the practice of dueling and subsequent effects between mutually consenting Atlasians.

Be It Resolved in the Atlasian Senate Assembled, that upon ratification by 2/3rds of the Regions, the Constitution shall be amended as follows:

Let There Be Duels Amendment

The following Section is to be incorporated under Article VI of the Fifth Constitution:

Section 2. Dueling

1. Should there be a mutual agreement, any two Atlasians may engage in a duel.

2. Duels shall take place in a single match of any online game agreed upon by the participants, so long as the game can be fully recorded for independent verification.

3. A replay of the game must be saved and shared with others to confirm the duel happened and who won and who lost.

4. Whoever loses the duel shall be removed as a registered voter and prohibited from re-registering for a period of one week to two months, whichever the duelers mutually decide. Duelists may also agree to different terms provided that the agreement is made in public before the time of the duel. No citizen may be prohibited from re-registering for a period of longer than two months as the result of a duel.

Quote from: Amendment Explanation
This Constitutional Amendment enshrines the right for two Atlasians to mutually agree to a duel between each other. Such duels are to take place under a single match, of which the result shall be independently verified. The losing participant in a duel shall automatically be deregistered for a mutually agreed period of at least one week but no more than two months. Upon the conclusion of said period, the losing duelist may re-register at personal whim.

Sponsor: Pyro

Debate has commenced and the Senator is recognized.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 01:54:32 AM »

Already my favorite bill of this Senate, I just know it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 03:32:12 AM »

Enthusiastically endorsed!
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 09:42:42 AM »

This Constitutional Amendment, originally sponsored last year by Senator Spiral, would re-authorize the practice of simulated duels to Atlasia. More information about dueling itself is listed in the Amendment Explanation section. Such duels require a mutual agreement, thereby all actions are consensual and in the spirit of fun. Would highly recommend this pass if we are looking to increase activity levels.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 04:15:29 PM »

it's worth a shot, at least Tongue
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 10:39:54 PM »

I feel the Atlasian society has evolved and doesn't need duels as a way to solve conflicts between players.
A duel result in a deregistration. The game will lose a player. It's not good for activity, it doesn't help it. 
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 11:31:51 PM »

One, section 2.4 was struck down in court a while back.

Two, unless it's to get around point one, I don't see the need for this to be a constitutional amendment when the original dueling provision was an ordinary bill.

Three, my own personal position on dueling (for what it's worth) is I wouldn't initiate or take one up myself but anyone in favor of banning the practice – as several people tried recently – are certified wet wipes. As long as you people come up with something that complies with what Poirot and the Supreme Court are saying, I don't mind what it is.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 01:16:46 AM »

Two, unless it's to get around point one, I don't see the need for this to be a constitutional amendment when the original dueling provision was an ordinary bill.

Three, my own personal position on dueling (for what it's worth) is I wouldn't initiate or take one up myself but anyone in favor of banning the practice – as several people tried recently – are certified wet wipes. As long as you people come up with something that complies with what Poirot and the Supreme Court are saying, I don't mind what it is.
the thing is without deregistration, I'm not sure what stakes there would be, which is kinda the point. Hence why there's been no duels since the bill passed.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 01:43:31 AM »

the thing is without deregistration, I'm not sure what stakes there would be, which is kinda the point. Hence why there's been no duels since the bill passed.

Mutual agreement to aim your pistols at the sky? Tongue
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 08:46:50 PM »

I thoroughly support enshrining the Right to Duel into the Constitution. The opinion of the Court as stated in Tack v. Atlasia, that the practice of voluntary dueling somehow interferes with one's right to de-register, is, in my own view, rather flimsy. Yet this decision has made it so the only method to re-authorize Atlasian dueling as it once was is a Constitutional Amendment.

Passing this will allow citizens the freedom to exercise their right to take part in this harmless endeavor as they so choose. Let me emphasize that no Atlasian can be forced or coerced into engaging in a duel - it must only be conducted through a mutual contract. The penalty for losing a duel, as cited in the proposal's text, is temporary. No player will be lost without said player opting against re-registering.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 03:14:39 AM »

As the modern originator of this bill-turned-amendment (bgwah was the progenitor of this in 2011 during the Third Constitution; I opened the first viable duel/dereg option via my Dueling House in 2013 and secured its revival at the beginning of the statute reset/Fourth Constitution) I am of course in support. I do not believe it will cause any random outbursts of rage-quitting beyond what is already allowed by law today; in fact, it could reduce them by giving a fun outlet for two combatants to formally consider/agree upon that provides entertainment for all of us.

It's an "all fun, no harm" restoration to our long, storied history of the game.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 11:48:01 AM »

Motion for a final vote.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 09:35:32 PM »

A final vote shall now commence for the next 96 hours. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 11:25:16 PM »

aye
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2024, 06:34:28 AM »

Nay

Nothing personal tho.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2024, 12:06:41 PM »

Aye
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2024, 01:50:38 PM »

Aye
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2024, 10:28:43 PM »

Nay
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2024, 10:30:03 PM »

Aye
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2024, 02:19:23 PM »

Nay
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2024, 08:07:55 PM »

Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2024, 08:19:13 PM »

Aye
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2024, 11:48:34 PM »

Aye - 6 (WB, LT, Pyro, Nerd, Spiral, Reagente)
Nay - 3 (Laki, MB, Razze)

Although the bill received a majority of support among voting members present, it has not satisfied the 2/3rds approval of the whole body required for constitutional amendments. Thus, the bill fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies