Opinion of Judith Butler
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:49:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Judith Butler
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Judith Butler?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Opinion of Judith Butler  (Read 602 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2024, 02:25:57 AM »

Welcome to the Thunderdome.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:48:18 AM »

A clown who set left-wing theory back decades.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 10:19:52 AM »

An interesting example of a 'philosopher' who is very popular in a variety of other fields, but is at best almost completely ignored, and at worst regarded as an utter joke, within philosophy itself. There is of course Martha Nussbaum's famous article 'The Professor of Parody', and I'll also quote this from Brian Leiter (who is a somewhat controversial figure himself, and is maybe unduly harsh on English here, but, I think, completely right about Butler):

Whatever the limitations of “analytic” philosophy, it is clearly far preferable to what has befallen humanistic fields like English, which have largely collapsed as serious disciplines while becoming the repository for all the world’s bad philosophy, bad social science, and bad history. (Surely humanity “celebrities” like Stanley Fish and Judith Butler are fine contemporary examples of “the man of letters who really is nothing but ‘represents’ almost everything, playing and ‘substituting’ for the expert, and taking it upon himself in all modesty to get himself paid, honored, and celebrated.…”) When compared to the sophomoric nonsense that passes for “philosophizing” in the broader academic culture—often in fields like English, Law, Political Science, and sometimes History—one can only have the highest respect for the intellectual rigor and specialization of analytic philosophers.

A good example of Butler's lack of philosophical seriousness is that the supposed philosophical foundation of a good deal of her work is a totally butchered reading of the great J.L. Austin's theory of speech acts. Any halfway decent philosopher would be able to tell you that she has got Austin completely wrong, hence why the field on the whole pays her very little heed, but such critical reflection on the basis of her thought is curiously absent in those other disciplines in which she continues to hold sway.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 10:37:13 AM »

She represents the postmodern trend in left wing politics that arose beginning with the New Left. Particularly, Gender Trouble is a foundational text in Trans and nonbinary theory. It goes above my head, however, she is too smart for me.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 10:44:12 AM »

I read her in university. She is a terrible writer. Intentionally wordy and inscrutable to hide how little she has to say. She’s not too smart for you, Beet - you’ve just been tricked.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 02:03:02 AM »

I've interacted with both her and her wife on many occasions. They are Berkeley personified.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 09:04:07 AM »

I might be rare in that not only do I understand her, I happen to think she successfully critiqued the GC/Terf binary approach to sex and gender as a sunset of patriarchal power structures and imposed gender 'performance' norms, long before it became prescient.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 01:04:59 PM »

Rape-apologist scumbag.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 03:49:49 PM »

I might be rare in that not only do I understand her, I happen to think she successfully critiqued the GC/Terf binary approach to sex and gender as a sunset of patriarchal power structures and imposed gender 'performance' norms, long before it became prescient.
*They(JB uses they/them pronouns) are right.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies