Right to go shirtless/topless in public?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:47:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Right to go shirtless/topless in public?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Right to go shirtless/topless in public?  (Read 1357 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2024, 03:56:27 PM »

This issue came to my attention for 2 reasons recently:

1. A HS friend was telling me about how their college banned anyone (male or female) from being topless on campus.

2. Even though I've been working out and have gotten decently fit I still have body dysmorphia, so trying to be shirtless more (when it's appropriate) to gain some confidence back, especially since by conventional standards I am fit.

I've also noticed a decent number of younger people, mostly on the left and far left who really seem to hate when men go shirtless, even in a situation where it's conventionally acceptable like running, pool, or beach. They seem to come at it through the lens that somehow men being topless re-enforces the patriarchy which I don't quite buy. I also think some people don't like it when they see a fit person take off their shirt at the beach and feel like they can't.

I also know there's debates around if men have the right to go topless, why shouldn't women? There are a few places, mostly liberal cities and vacation towns where local governments say women have the same right to go topless as men. Still pretty rare, and from my understanding even if the right is there it's often rarely used likely because of social norms and stuff.

Should local governments be able to regulate if someone should be allowed to go shirtless in public? Should private institutions be allowed to? Should our culture encourage or discourage people to go topless? Should distinctions be made between men and women?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 04:28:58 PM »

As for men being shirtless, I am one person on "the left" that wants to see more of it, not less.  I think men that spend so much time and energy to look like Adonises should take their shirts off and show off what they have.  It's good for community morale to see healthy men  Smile.

As for women, breasts are normal and natural, and there's nothing wrong in my opinion with a topless woman on a hot day hiking up a hill, or on a beach trying to stay cool.  It's just fine to me.

but have respect for families with kids though - I think if I had a child I would not mind them seeing a topless person on a hot summer day, but there's others that would not want the children to see that due to them feeling its "improper" or "inappropriate", so there should be a level of respect for those that don't want to see you without the right amount of clothing.

I feel as a society we've become so much more casual.  In the year 1950, I bet it was very odd to see a guy jogging around a crowded neighborhood without a shirt.  Today, in the summer, you see it.  It's a different time.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 04:58:39 PM »

Men are just naturally far more sexually aroused by seeing a woman’s bare breasts than women are by seeing a man’s chest. That’s why women going topless is far more discouraged
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 05:12:38 PM »

Should local governments be able to regulate if someone should be allowed to go shirtless in public?
No
Should private institutions be allowed to?
Yes
Should our culture encourage or discourage people to go topless?
Neither
Should distinctions be made between men and women?
No
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 06:37:13 PM »

as I like to say (because it's true) no human in history has ever been harmed by seeing a lady boob.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 07:00:04 PM »

Should local governments be able to regulate if someone should be allowed to go shirtless in public?
Yes.

Should private institutions be allowed to?
Yes.

Should our culture encourage or discourage people to go topless?
Discourage.

Should distinctions be made between men and women?
No
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 08:23:26 PM »

As for men being shirtless, I am one person on "the left" that wants to see more of it, not less.  I think men that spend so much time and energy to look like Adonises should take their shirts off and show off what they have.  It's good for community morale to see healthy men  Smile.

As for women, breasts are normal and natural, and there's nothing wrong in my opinion with a topless woman on a hot day hiking up a hill, or on a beach trying to stay cool.  It's just fine to me.

but have respect for families with kids though - I think if I had a child I would not mind them seeing a topless person on a hot summer day, but there's others that would not want the children to see that due to them feeling its "improper" or "inappropriate", so there should be a level of respect for those that don't want to see you without the right amount of clothing.

I feel as a society we've become so much more casual.  In the year 1950, I bet it was very odd to see a guy jogging around a crowded neighborhood without a shirt.  Today, in the summer, you see it.  It's a different time.

Actually tend to agree with your first point; I think the expectation to be shirtless in a pool or on a beach has helped motivated a lot of men to work out and stay healthier. I've noticed in NYC an increasingly large subset of (mostly fit) men who make shirtless part of their casual style if they're just going out to the park or something. This is a bold take, but unless a place is like a fancy restaurant or somewhere where certain formalities are expected, "no shirt no service" policies should largely be abolished. I don't see a problem with a shirtless guy walking into Starbucks to buy a coffee.

One thing I will say is there is an issue with unrealistic body standards for men, but I think that's more of a problem with social media rather than too many men being shirtless irl.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 09:52:53 PM »

This is something people make a far bigger deal about than it is. It's actually not illegal in most places in the US for women to be topless in public.

(Also Minnesota should be light blue as well.)

It's actually been legal in all of Canada for almost 30 years because of a Canadian Supreme Court decision...and guess how often women are seen topless in public in Canada. It also seems the majority of Canadians aren't even aware of this.

So it's almost entirely a social expectations thing than a legal thing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 10:59:47 PM »

This is something people make a far bigger deal about than it is. It's actually not illegal in most places in the US for women to be topless in public.

It's actually been legal in all of Canada for almost 30 years because of a Canadian Supreme Court decision...and guess how often women are seen topless in public in Canada. It also seems the majority of Canadians aren't even aware of this.

it's the same with underage drinking laws, it's legal in most states (if done with parents) or cousin marriage (legal in half the states to marry your first cousin, legal in all to marry second cousin)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 11:03:24 PM »

it's the same with underage drinking laws, it's legal in most states (if done with parents) or cousin marriage (legal in half the states to marry your first cousin, legal in all to marry second cousin)
True, but that's not really the issue here, 18-20 year olds often live away from their parents and plenty of scenarios where they thus can't drink that seem really unfair, and I'm not talking about raging college keggers but a 20-year old wanting to have a beer while watching football on a Sunday afternoon like is such a common thing. Although to be fair the odds of a 20-year old having a beer while watching football at home being caught and charged is near zero.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 11:12:46 PM »

I don't think there's an inherent human or civil right to be topless in public, but there is a civil right to have whatever rule about it there is applied uniformly regardless of sex. As BRTD points out, most states do recognize this, only there's just not that much appetite among women for going topless in most situations, for social and cultural reasons. But I've been to top-optional and even fully clothing-optional beaches and the like in both Europe and Vermont (the Spain of the US when it comes to this sort of thing), and in my experience it's really not as big a deal as most people still seem to think.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 11:18:42 PM »

I find it interesting how little correlation this map has with evangelical populations or whether a state is red or blue.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 02:22:09 AM »

I find it interesting how little correlation this map has with evangelical populations or whether a state is red or blue.

Probably because in mainstream politics it’s a non-issue; many of these laws were likely enacted 50 or 100+ years ago and no one has bothered to change them.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 08:39:34 AM »

At least public breastfeeding should be permited.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 08:54:34 AM »

Men are just naturally far more sexually aroused by seeing a woman’s bare breasts than women are by seeing a man’s chest. That’s why women going topless is far more discouraged

If women regularly went topless then men would be desensitized to it and it would be no more sexual than a topless man. 
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 09:44:13 AM »

If women regularly went topless then men would be desensitized to it and it would be no more sexual than a topless man.  

That happens in some amazonas and african areas, but it would take a lot of time to get people accostumed.

If topless women became something common, most males would do anything possible to avoid touching by accident a boob in the streets or public transportation. This would generate some funny situations.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 10:57:53 AM »

Women walk around in public barefoot all the time so no.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 11:02:06 AM »

At least public breastfeeding should be permited.
This is universally legal in the United States. All 50 states and DC have laws protecting it, the last state to pass one was Idaho in 2018: https://www.ncsl.org/health/breastfeeding-state-laws
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 03:41:30 PM »

It's cultural, not natural.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 03:42:37 PM »

Women walk around in public barefoot all the time so no.
I'm not sure if fetishes work the same way as non-fetish attraction in this regard.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2024, 03:46:27 PM »

Neutral. I can see both sides having some decent arguments.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 03:47:19 PM »

Running on streets close to a beach or in a place close to a swimming poll: OK
University campus: not a good place to go shirtless/topless in public
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2024, 07:07:28 PM »

Probably because in mainstream politics it’s a non-issue; many of these laws were likely enacted 50 or 100+ years ago and no one has bothered to change them.

Some of it also probably has to do with court decisions that nobody bothered to punt up to SCOTUS, since women do sue about this occasionally even though it's not a high-salience issue. I think Utah is in yellow rather than dark red because of a Tenth Circuit decision, for instance.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2024, 07:24:23 PM »

Some of it also probably has to do with court decisions that nobody bothered to punt up to SCOTUS, since women do sue about this occasionally even though it's not a high-salience issue. I think Utah is in yellow rather than dark red because of a Tenth Circuit decision, for instance.
On that note I was slightly incorrect about Canada, the 1991 decision came from the Canadian Court of Appeal (they apparently only have one), and never reached the Supreme Court of Canada. So if any province or municipality wanted to challenge this to the Supreme Court of Canada, they could in theory, but it's such a minor low-salience issue this has not occurred in the 30+ years.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2024, 07:27:54 PM »

Also the most surprising thing about that map in my opinion is the maroon color of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands as I was under the impression the culture in both the Caribbean and Latin America was far more relaxed about this. Maybe there's an exemption for beaches or something.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies