Houthis successfully sink a ship in the Red Sea
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:21:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Houthis successfully sink a ship in the Red Sea
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Houthis successfully sink a ship in the Red Sea  (Read 930 times)
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2024, 09:05:18 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/yemen-houthi-rebels-rubymar-sinks-red-sea-fb64a490ce935756337ee3606e15d093
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 09:52:54 AM »

that'll show them Jews to stop fighting Hamas!  Sinking a Lebanese ran, Belize owned ship, shipping fertilizer from UAE to Belarus will really teach the world a lesson about supporting the apartheid state.
Birdish
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 01:16:50 PM »

that'll show them Jews to stop fighting Hamas!  Sinking a Lebanese ran, Belize owned ship, shipping fertilizer from UAE to Belarus will really teach the world a lesson about supporting the apartheid state.

Not to mention all the oil thats going to be drenching Yemen's beaches and killing the fish keeping the already starving Yemeni people fed.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 04:20:21 PM »

Not to mention all the oil thats going to be drenching Yemen's beaches and killing the fish keeping the already starving Yemeni people fed.

It's already  been noted as a major environmental disaster.  I wonder if "environmentalists" such as Greta Thunberg, Extinction Rebellion, and others who support the armed opposition to Israel will acknowledge this. 

https://apnews.com/article/red-sea-environment-cargo-ship-sinking-houthis-1e130e15ca0863ab40966ea9676cf42b
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 05:47:04 PM »

May whoever sunk this ship reap what he had sowed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 06:32:25 PM »

since Iran paid for the missile and have encouraged this kind of thing, Iran should pay for the cleanup
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 06:16:11 AM »

It is quite funny that Belarus is the biggest loser in this, ngl.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 12:04:20 AM »

I'd say that Yemen is the biggest loser given the environmental consequences, but Belarus is a clear second.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 08:56:12 PM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 06:46:26 AM »

I'd say that Yemen is the biggest loser given the environmental consequences, but Belarus is a clear second.

Yemen always loses, though.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 02:07:44 PM »

Yemen always loses, though.
Fair point.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 06:59:08 PM »

I get an unpleasant vibe here that you're fine with this?
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 08:50:55 PM »

It's been quite obvious that while ModernBourbonDemocrat isn't a spammy troll and provides the occasional informative and detailed pro-palestine opinion that this forum at times lacks, it's hard to characterize their espoused values as "pro-social" in any way.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 12:43:16 AM »

Do I need to explicitly say that the Houthis are not good guys and that firing missiles at passing shipping is wrong? Actually, Hasan Piker exists so I guess I do. No, I'm not fine with this.

The point is that Biden's one dimensional response has clearly failed. We've gone from dire threats and "don't touch our boats" (just look at the thread covering the crisis two months ago) to Atlantic writers calling them "unstoppable"*. The Houthis aren't deterred and the sophistication of their attacks has only grown since Anglo-American airstrikes began. Bombs and bribes aren't achieving anything aside from giving the Houthis Arab street cred. The greatest naval power in human history (plus some European countries, minus the French who actually have a coherent strategy) is getting mogged by a militia from the Middle East's poorest country that doesn't even have a real navy.  The whole world is watching the perception of American hegemony crumble like sand thanks to shortsighted, politically driven decisions and yet the level of discourse and media coverage can't get beyond "Pirates bad! Sinking ships bad! Bomb Yemen now!" vs "Pirates good! Houthis = Luffy from One Piece!"

But while the strategy may be aimless, at least the US Navy has generally succeeded at the narrow task of intercepting Houthi missiles coming their way and not getting hit. The same can't be said for the German Navy: they sent a frigate to help with interceptions, misidentified an MQ-9 as a Houthi drone (in their defense, the USN initially said it wasn't theirs) and fired two missiles at it, both of which malfunctioned

* They changed the title but it still features a passage that reads like it came from a 1920s Orientalist:

The houthi spokesman was right on time for our meeting. I was a little surprised by his appearance; I had half expected to see a swaggering tribesman of the kind I used to meet in Yemen—mouth bulging with khat leaves, a shawl over his shoulders and a curved dagger in his belt. Instead, Abdelmalek al-Ejri was a neat-looking fellow in a blue-tartan blazer and a button-down shirt. He kept a physical distance as he greeted me, his manner polite but guarded, as if to register that we stood on opposite sides of a chasm.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 01:47:28 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2024, 01:51:10 AM by GeneralMacArthur »

I dunno about "American hegemony crumbling", America could invade Yemen and do to the Houthis what Israel is doing to Hamas right now if we wanted to, and no American ships have been hit afaik.  While it would be nice if we could secure the whole area and protect Lebanese ships carrying fertilizer to Belarus, that's hardly America's promise to the world and I feel like Biden would rather handle this by just waiting it out until Hamas is defeated than escalate into an invasion of Yemen or devote enough resources to protect every single cargo ship.

Egypt should really be taking more of a lead on this since they're losing business through the Suez Canal over this.  It's really obnoxious how everyone always expects America to solve the Middle East's problems and then whines and complains about us having any sort of military presence in the Middle East.

The Houthis are just a proxy for Iran and even if defeated another similar group will rise up to replace them in five years, especially if Iran is able to keep Yemen in a state of civil war.  This all will continue until the Iranian regime is toppled.  The main place where some permanent headway can be made right now is in Israel where the Iranian puppet army Hamas can be killed and Gaza occupied and rebuilt as a police state fortified against Iranian influence.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 09:16:09 AM »

Again, silly simplistic clickbait media headlines maybe shouldn't be indulged so much by some.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2024, 03:57:00 PM »

Do I need to explicitly say that the Houthis are not good guys and that firing missiles at passing shipping is wrong? Actually, Hasan Piker exists so I guess I do. No, I'm not fine with this.

The point is that Biden's one dimensional response has clearly failed. We've gone from dire threats and "don't touch our boats" (just look at the thread covering the crisis two months ago) to Atlantic writers calling them "unstoppable"*. The Houthis aren't deterred and the sophistication of their attacks has only grown since Anglo-American airstrikes began. Bombs and bribes aren't achieving anything aside from giving the Houthis Arab street cred. The greatest naval power in human history (plus some European countries, minus the French who actually have a coherent strategy) is getting mogged by a militia from the Middle East's poorest country that doesn't even have a real navy.  The whole world is watching the perception of American hegemony crumble like sand thanks to shortsighted, politically driven decisions and yet the level of discourse and media coverage can't get beyond "Pirates bad! Sinking ships bad! Bomb Yemen now!" vs "Pirates good! Houthis = Luffy from One Piece!"

But while the strategy may be aimless, at least the US Navy has generally succeeded at the narrow task of intercepting Houthi missiles coming their way and not getting hit. The same can't be said for the German Navy: they sent a frigate to help with interceptions, misidentified an MQ-9 as a Houthi drone (in their defense, the USN initially said it wasn't theirs) and fired two missiles at it, both of which malfunctioned

* They changed the title but it still features a passage that reads like it came from a 1920s Orientalist:

The houthi spokesman was right on time for our meeting. I was a little surprised by his appearance; I had half expected to see a swaggering tribesman of the kind I used to meet in Yemen—mouth bulging with khat leaves, a shawl over his shoulders and a curved dagger in his belt. Instead, Abdelmalek al-Ejri was a neat-looking fellow in a blue-tartan blazer and a button-down shirt. He kept a physical distance as he greeted me, his manner polite but guarded, as if to register that we stood on opposite sides of a chasm.

Yeah, that (the bit I bolded) is the thing. It was a genuine question, unfortunately; thanks for clarifying.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies