House Discharge Petition is happening
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:30:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Discharge Petition is happening
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: House Discharge Petition is happening  (Read 4234 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 29, 2024, 05:48:30 PM »

Yes it's happening and within a week. Praise Jesus.

A pro-Ukraine House Republican is preparing an effort to go around House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) to get aid to Ukraine passed.

Why it matters: It's a rare break with House GOP leadership, which has resisted holding a Ukraine aid vote due to strong opposition from the right.
"We have to get something done," said Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.), co-chair of the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus, who is leading the push.
"It's existential, it's time sensitive. Whether that's our product or somebody else's, we've just got to get the money out the door to them," he said.
What's happening: Fitzpatrick told reporters he is preparing what is known as a discharge petition, which can force a House vote if it gets 218 signatures.

Such a petition would therefore require support from a handful of Republicans, assuming it gets signatures from most House Democrats.
The maneuver also requires a certain amount of time – 30 days in which the House is in session – before it can be forced to the floor.
What he's saying: Fitzpatrick said the petition will be ready for signatures by early March and signaled he expects it to garner some Republican signatures.

Asked about the depth of Republican support, he told reporters, "more than you think ... a lot of people who know it's the right thing to do."
One House Republican, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Axios they will sign on "if [there's] no other progress."
But Fitzpatrick also stressed that the discharge petition mainly serves to "apply a pressure point to get something done soon."
The backdrop: Fitzpatrick and other pro-Ukraine Republicans have faced growing pressure to break with their party on the issue.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 05:51:31 PM »

I hope the Republicans do the right thing.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 05:55:33 PM »

Not particularly confident about this. Jeffries is making it a combined Ukraine/Israel bill and thereby losing the votes of several in his own caucus, and he’s not great with arithmetic.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 06:13:20 PM »

Not particularly confident about this. Jeffries is making it a combined Ukraine/Israel bill and thereby losing the votes of several in his own caucus, and he’s not great with arithmetic.

Ten Pubs willing to walk should be more enough. I am quite confident about this. If I am wrong, this nation has really gone to sh*t.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 06:19:20 PM »

That is an intemperate response.  Center oneself is my best advice.

Nice to see you Torie!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 06:20:59 PM »

I am against funding Ukraine but I support the Troops there is no reason for the obstruction of Ukraine aid and obstruction of Border Bill
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 07:48:19 PM »

Considering this is about him supporting genocide I think this is a very warranted response

You're talking about a middle-aged troll on the internet. He likely has very little family, no friends, probably very few people who will even notice when he's gone. He's already lost. He's already failed at life. Triggering the libs is literally all he has left to live for. Just ignore him, lmao.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 08:01:41 PM »

Considering this is about him supporting genocide I think this is a very warranted response

You're talking about a middle-aged troll on the internet. He likely has very little family, no friends, probably very few people who will even notice when he's gone. He's already lost. He's already failed at life. Triggering the libs is literally all he has left to live for. Just ignore him, lmao.
That is a fair point but as someone who knows people both over there and other impacted by this conflict it can be hard to not let this stuff poss me off but I’ll try better lol
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 08:16:57 PM »

I really hope that Fitzpatrick is serious about this, and pursues it to the highest priority.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 08:58:22 PM »

Even asides from the Ukraine aid, it will be worth it to see the look on Mike Johnson's face.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 09:25:13 PM »

It isn't happening. The GOP is going to back out at the last minute and make Democrats look stupid.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 11:49:38 AM »

The Squad & a few squad-adjacent progressives being opposed to the bill actually gives Republicans cover to vote in favor of it.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 01:55:08 PM »

Guess it's not happening after all.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 02:03:18 PM »

So apparently they want to try to put a house aid bill on the floor on 03/22 before doing a discharge 🙄
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 11:30:04 AM »

Torie, it's not happening.
It would be bad for Republicans in an election year.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 12:10:08 PM »

So apparently they want to try to put a house aid bill on the floor on 03/22 before doing a discharge 🙄

Are we just going to pretend this "Michael McCaul" person is not obviously Michael McFaul with his hair dyed and a novelty prosthetic chin?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2024, 01:52:28 PM »

I won't take this seriously until we have the names of the Republicans willing to sign on to this.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 06:13:03 PM »

Be patient.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 08:57:30 AM »

Be patient.

Okay.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2024, 01:52:26 PM »

The House Dems are getting impatient, and are making the first move. F Johnson.

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Democrats on Tuesday launched a long-shot effort to force a vote on $95 billion in aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, intensifying pressure on Speaker Mike Johnson to take up the foreign funding package.

Democrats, as the minority in the House, began gathering signatures for a “discharge petition” — a seldom-successful procedural tool that can circumvent the speaker’s control over which bills come up for a vote.

For the petition to trigger action in the House, it must be signed by a majority of lawmakers, or 218 members. With Republicans controlling the House 219-213, at least some Republicans would have to buck their leadership and sign for the petition to reach a majority. Plus, some progressive Democrats are unlikely to sign on because the legislation includes military aid for Israel.

The move underscored the stubborn impasse in Congress over the roughly $60 billion in military aid for Ukraine, with conservatives balking at providing more ammunition and weaponry for Kyiv. Johnson, a Louisiana Republican, has resisted taking up the package passed by the Senate last month and insisted that the House work its own will on the matter. He has suggested the House will turn to the package only after government funding is settled — and he still insists the money must be paired with policy changes at the U.S. border with Mexico.

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2024, 03:53:18 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2024, 04:00:42 PM by No War, but the War on Christmas »

Deeply unfortunate, and from what I understand of the situation on the ground, unnecessary, that they just had to throw more blank IDF cheques into this thing, especially as recent news of the torture of detainees breaks.

The 'Squad' would be wholly in the right to oppose this, as much as it pains me that the GOP won't allow at least some-sort of surplus agreement /w Ukraine, which is the much less morally ambiguous situation here.

Taiwan is of course a friend and ally, but the situation there isn't existential currently and indeed in many ways is predicated on the outcome of the war in Ukraine.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2024, 04:35:38 PM »

Deeply unfortunate, and from what I understand of the situation on the ground, unnecessary, that they just had to throw more blank IDF cheques into this thing, especially as recent news of the torture of detainees breaks.

The 'Squad' would be wholly in the right to oppose this, as much as it pains me that the GOP won't allow at least some-sort of surplus agreement /w Ukraine, which is the much less morally ambiguous situation here.

Taiwan is of course a friend and ally, but the situation there isn't existential currently and indeed in many ways is predicated on the outcome of the war in Ukraine.

The Biden administration's policy vis a vis the Palestinians is inadequate. If it were up to me, I would tell Israel that aid will be cut off if the policy does not change, and the the slaughter of Palestinians does not end. What Israel is doing in Rafa is deeply disturbing. Enough is
enough. The Squad has a point.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2024, 05:40:56 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2024, 06:45:07 PM »

Republicans to sign onto the discharge petition, so far: