Effect of McConnell's retirement on 2024 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:07:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Effect of McConnell's retirement on 2024 election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Mitch's retirement hurt Biden?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Effect of McConnell's retirement on 2024 election  (Read 357 times)
Redban

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2024, 01:10:49 PM »

The Republican Senate leader is stepping down specifically because of old-age concerns.  There's about 7 months separating Mitch and Joe Biden.

Does this hurt Biden even more? His age is the #1 concern, and now people can point to Mitch and say, "look at how heroes relinquish power for the betterment of the country." In contrast, Biden is holding on when he can't go anymore
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 01:12:09 PM »

Yeah a lot of Democrats are probably to flip from Biden to Trump because of what Mitch McConnell is doing. Sh*t. Sad
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 01:13:08 PM »

The Republican Senate leader is stepping down specifically because of old-age concerns.  There's about 7 months separating Mitch and Joe Biden.

Does this hurt Biden even more? His age is the #1 concern, and now people can point to Mitch and say, "look at how heroes relinquish power for the betterment of the country." In contrast, Biden is holding on when he can't go anymore
yep, I can definitely see a lot of Democrats taking note of what McConnell did and deciding they have to vote for the youthful and vibrant 78-year old opponent instead of Biden.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 01:14:34 PM »

McConnell has she concerns and health concerns, Biden has she concerns there's a difference

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 01:18:40 PM »

No, it has no effect.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 01:23:57 PM »

I don't think the retirement by itself will have any impact. What concerns me is that a man who has spent two decades trying to bury our Republic thinks his job will be done in November. Moscow Mitch is many things, but I have never considered him a fool. If he thinks his work as gravedigger of American democracy will be complete this November, there's a decent chance he's right.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 01:37:32 PM »

I don't think the retirement by itself will have any impact. What concerns me is that a man who has spent two decades trying to bury our Republic thinks his job will be done in November. Moscow Mitch is many things, but I have never considered him a fool. If he thinks his work as gravedigger of American democracy will be complete this November, there's a decent chance he's right.
Whats scary is that Mitch probably thinks Trump will win a second term and doesn't want to deal with him anymore
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 01:44:47 PM »

The thing is McConnell is a lot more dangerous than Trump is. Mitch is a conniving leader who knows what he’s doing, whereas Trump is just a reckless buffoon who’s too self-centered to actually get things done.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 02:15:17 PM »

May help republicans in the senate races but will have no implication on the presidential race.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 02:21:23 PM »

The thing is McConnell is a lot more dangerous than Trump is. Mitch is a conniving leader who knows what he’s doing, whereas Trump is just a reckless buffoon who’s too self-centered to actually get things done.

Trump won't have anything but boot lickers around him in a second term. The reason he didn't do more damage to the country in his first term is because he had adults around him that reigned him in. We won't be as lucky this time.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 02:24:40 PM »

Trump won't have anything but boot lickers around him in a second term. The reason he didn't do more damage to the country in his first term is because he had adults around him that reigned him in. We won't be as lucky this time.

The “adults in the room” are far more competent than the bootlickers who are just a bunch of clowns like MTG and Boebert.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 02:30:26 PM »

No effect.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 02:34:37 PM »

No real change.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 02:39:46 PM »

The “adults in the room” are far more competent than the bootlickers who are just a bunch of clowns like MTG and Boebert.

But the adults in the room actually kept Trump from achieving what he wanted to do during his first term. I'm not talking about MTG or Boebert.

We were a Mike Pence away from a constitutional crisis in 2020. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 02:41:04 PM »

But the adults in the room actually kept Trump from achieving what he wanted to do during his first term. I'm not talking about MTG or Boebert.

We were a Mike Pence away from a constitutional crisis in 2020. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

The law has been changed now to make the VP powerless in certification of elections.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024, 02:44:30 PM »

The law has been changed now to make the VP powerless in certification of elections.

And the law can be changed right back if Trump retakes power and has a GOP congress who will do his bidding.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 02:48:36 PM »

And the law can be changed right back if Trump retakes power and has a GOP congress who will do his bidding.

There probably aren’t enough votes to get it passed. Dems are favored to take back the house, the Senate majority will be extremely narrow so the institutionalists may hold it up, plus D’s still have the filibuster which isn’t going anywhere.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2024, 05:21:39 PM »

No effect.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2024, 05:34:28 PM »

Whats scary is that Mitch probably thinks Trump will win a second term and doesn't want to deal with him anymore
No need to overthink this one, he's old and actually shows far more health and mental acuity issues than Biden (such as that freeze up at a press conference.) Similar to how Feinstein declined on PPT.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2024, 05:54:20 PM »

No need to overthink this one, he's old and actually shows far more health and mental acuity issues than Biden (such as that freeze up at a press conference.) Similar to how Feinstein declined on PPT.
McConnell is one of the most power hungry politicans in the modern era. Its hard to see someone like him voluntary retire
Randy Marsh
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2024, 06:01:12 PM »

It will have 0 effect on the election but it might hurt Biden's ability to negotiate with congress
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 06:04:01 PM »

He was gonna retire anyways, his wife even if Trump is reelected isn't working for Trump again, Elaine Chao. It has little effect except Scott or Thune becomes Senate R Leader

Hopefully in the Filibuster proof Trifecta they are in Perm minority. Likely Rick Scott
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies