Imagine if this much vote was outstanding at 1:30 AM Eastern in Michigan on Election Night
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:41:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Imagine if this much vote was outstanding at 1:30 AM Eastern in Michigan on Election Night
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Imagine if this much vote was outstanding at 1:30 AM Eastern in Michigan on Election Night  (Read 414 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2024, 01:20:16 AM »

A truly staggering share of the vote in Wayne County especially remains out at this hour as I head to sleep.

What the hell, Michigan?

Are we going to have Biden overtake Trump at 3 AM again this year? I'm not sure my heart could take that stress. It has deeply poisonous effects on politics to be this slow!

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 05:37:05 AM »

A truly staggering share of the vote in Wayne County especially remains out at this hour as I head to sleep.

What the hell, Michigan?

Are we going to have Biden overtake Trump at 3 AM again this year? I'm not sure my heart could take that stress. It has deeply poisonous effects on politics to be this slow!

The speed of counting votes is undeniably one area in which regression has been witnessed over the past few decades. Yes, there are more votes cast and, yes, there are more ways of casting votes, but I would point out that New York state had just about all of its votes counted on the night in 1960, when it had a comparable number of votes to the present day (about 7 million) *and* it was a competitive state. With all the technological innovations since then, I don't see why it takes days or even weeks to know the outcomes unless they are in recount territory.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 06:11:27 AM »

It's more important to make sure as many people as possible can vote (and have their votes counted) than to have speedy results. Chill.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 06:47:36 AM »

It won't Slotkin is gonna win that's why it will easily go to Biden
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 11:41:53 AM »

Actually I was somewhat impressed with Michigan this time around. They got virtually all the vote in by around 3AM EST, and there wasn't any vote drops in the morning. I am fine with slow counting, but as long as the counting is continuous. I'd rather we get updates of 1000 votes from every precinct each minute till 3AM, rather than like 10 dumps total of votes over the upcoming week.

It seems GA, MI, PA, and WI have fixed their tabulation problems from 2020. The two states that haven't are Arizona and Nevada, and theirs is probably worse now.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 11:59:42 AM »

Actually I was somewhat impressed with Michigan this time around. They got virtually all the vote in by around 3AM EST, and there wasn't any vote drops in the morning. I am fine with slow counting, but as long as the counting is continuous. I'd rather we get updates of 1000 votes from every precinct each minute till 3AM, rather than like 10 dumps total of votes over the upcoming week.

It seems GA, MI, PA, and WI have fixed their tabulation problems from 2020. The two states that haven't are Arizona and Nevada, and theirs is probably worse now.

What's also annoying is that it's pretty hard to get a sense of what's going on in AZ and NV until nearly all the vote is in given how much of the vote is concentrated in 1 county in those two states. At least in states like MI/PA/WI you can have a decent sense of things even withWayne/Phillydelphia/Milwaukee County having a lot outstanding.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 12:09:32 PM »

What's also annoying is that it's pretty hard to get a sense of what's going on in AZ and NV until nearly all the vote is in given how much of the vote is concentrated in 1 county in those two states. At least in states like MI/PA/WI you can have a decent sense of things even withWayne/Phillydelphia/Milwaukee County having a lot outstanding.
Arizona, I would say just look at the very first drop in Maricopa county. If it's under Biden+10, Trump probably win the state, if it's over Biden+17 he will probably win the state. For context it was Biden+12, Hobbs+15, Kelly+20.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 03:14:02 PM »

Arizona, I would say just look at the very first drop in Maricopa county. If it's under Biden+10, Trump probably win the state, if it's over Biden+17 he will probably win the state. For context it was Biden+12, Hobbs+15, Kelly+20.

That’s still a pretty broad range of uncertainty plus you never know if Maricopa may change how it counts ballots. Currently, ballots are driven to the main counting HQ near downtown Phoenix which means ballots from R-leaning suburbs and exurbs tend to come in last, but slight modifications to the process and that bias could be gone
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 04:09:28 PM »

Lol how many times do Ds have to win Maricopa Cty before you understand its votes not polls that count, Lake lost Maricopa Cty
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 10:15:12 PM »

More important to make sure elections are secure and that voting will take slower so every vote counts. The slower it is the better.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 10:19:00 PM »

More important to make sure elections are secure and that voting will take slower so every vote counts. The slower it is the better.

Get the f**k out of here. Quick counting does not mean accuracy, security and access need to be sacrificed.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies