Biden addresses age concerns on Seth Meyers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:13:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Biden addresses age concerns on Seth Meyers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden addresses age concerns on Seth Meyers  (Read 716 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2024, 05:40:46 PM »

Watching Biden even in such a tightly controlled media appearance now is just so sad and painful.  There’s just no spark or energy there anymore, just squinting out into nowhere.  Seth was trying to feed him softball answers and he couldn’t even coherently run with those…just canned jokes and platitudes and trailing off. 

Like Seth asks him about his agenda for post-2024, and Biden first confuses 2024 with 2020, and then talks generally about Republicans blocking stuff.  He mentions vaguely that election is about the future, but doesn’t say a single thing he wants to do in the future.  How do he not immediately jump on codifying Roe at a minimum?

His answer of Israel does show his administration is still actively involved in policy and negotiations, and Biden is still on top of things in his own mind, but he’s just not able to communicate it with any sort of clarity, moral or otherwise.

That's not true, he said he wanted to get the border bill passed in his second term.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2024, 05:53:13 PM »

Watching Biden even in such a tightly controlled media appearance now is just so sad and painful.  There’s just no spark or energy there anymore, just squinting out into nowhere.  Seth was trying to feed him softball answers and he couldn’t even coherently run with those…just canned jokes and platitudes and trailing off. 

Like Seth asks him about his agenda for post-2024, and Biden first confuses 2024 with 2020, and then talks generally about Republicans blocking stuff.  He mentions vaguely that election is about the future, but doesn’t say a single thing he wants to do in the future.  How do he not immediately jump on codifying Roe at a minimum?

His answer of Israel does show his administration is still actively involved in policy and negotiations, and Biden is still on top of things in his own mind, but he’s just not able to communicate it with any sort of clarity, moral or otherwise.

That's not true, he said he wanted to get the border bill passed in his second term.

Right, he just talks about stuff that the Republicans are blocking right now, not any sort of new agenda.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2024, 06:47:36 PM »

But even in this one-minute clip, he can't complete his train of thought...he starts something that seems like it will be coherent, but then quickly gets mixed up and just trails off in the end.

Maybe this is just semantics, but "mixed up" implies (to me, and I think to most people?) that the didn't know what he was talking about. He goes into a lot of details about Israel in the full interview. He wasn't mixed up. Maybe he said a couple of wrong words over the course of the 20-minute interview (such as talking about 2024 and not getting the 4 out so he ended up just saying "twenty twenty") but I don't think "mixed up" is fair label on how he did there.

Was he as commanding and engaging as Obama? Not even close. Was he as commanding and engaging as most members of Congress? Sadly, no, not really. But he's still "there" mentally, not getting mixed up, not yet, still making good points if we can look past the subpar delivery.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2024, 06:59:00 PM »

But even in this one-minute clip, he can't complete his train of thought...he starts something that seems like it will be coherent, but then quickly gets mixed up and just trails off in the end.

Maybe this is just semantics, but "mixed up" implies (to me, and I think to most people?) that the didn't know what he was talking about. He goes into a lot of details about Israel in the full interview. He wasn't mixed up. Maybe he said a couple of wrong words over the course of the 20-minute interview (such as talking about 2024 and not getting the 4 out so he ended up just saying "twenty twenty") but I don't think "mixed up" is fair label on how he did there.

Was he as commanding and engaging as Obama? Not even close. Was he as commanding and engaging as most members of Congress? Sadly, no, not really. But he's still "there" mentally, not getting mixed up, not yet, still making good points if we can look past the subpar delivery.

Yeah, I don't think he's "mixed-up" mentally, like in terms of having dementia or something like that.
I think he still understand the politics and policy on a very high level.
But he just can't communicate it.  He still makes some "good points", but these are easy points that any Democratic candidate should be able to make, and he's still struggling to articulate them.

I'm honestly starting to believe that every single sitting Democratic Governor or Senator would be a better communicator than Biden at this point.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2024, 09:10:33 PM »

Lmao Trump is very mad about Biden’s joke
Barack Oganja

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2024, 12:22:34 PM »

This thread is sad, it's like a family trying to ignore that grandpa is on his last legs, except that grandpa is the president of the united states. People are clapping because he spoke in complete sentences for a minute before trailing off at the end. Don't tell me how worse Trump is, I'm convinced, but I'm unsure how many other Americans are. If we lose this election, I'll never understand why we went with a dude that looks and sounds this bad, with the fate of American democracy supposedly on the line.

He has gotten an awful lot of stuff done for a grandpa on his last legs.
This response highlights a lot of the issues with the Biden campaign, the idea that if they're the adults in the room and advocate for smart policies, people will come around. If Trump has shown anything, elections are about narrative more than anything. Biden looks and sounds old and that matters more than the CHIPS act or whatever, people don't vote based on that stuff. But sure, let's keep selling the bills nobody outside of political nerds have heard of, that'll turn the ship around.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2024, 12:27:54 PM »

This thread is sad, it's like a family trying to ignore that grandpa is on his last legs, except that grandpa is the president of the united states. People are clapping because he spoke in complete sentences for a minute before trailing off at the end. Don't tell me how worse Trump is, I'm convinced, but I'm unsure how many other Americans are. If we lose this election, I'll never understand why we went with a dude that looks and sounds this bad, with the fate of American democracy supposedly on the line.

He has gotten an awful lot of stuff done for a grandpa on his last legs.
This response highlights a lot of the issues with the Biden campaign, the idea that if they're the adults in the room and advocate for smart policies, people will come around. If Trump has shown anything, elections are about narrative more than anything. Biden looks and sounds old and that matters more than the CHIPS act or whatever, people don't vote based on that stuff. But sure, let's keep selling the bills nobody outside of political nerds have heard of, that'll turn the ship around.

The way I see it is that the things Biden passed where popular then, but caused unpopular backlash later when implemented.

The reverse of Obamacare.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies