If Trump is elected, what will the legacy of the Jan 6 movement be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:12:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If Trump is elected, what will the legacy of the Jan 6 movement be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Trump is elected, what will the legacy of the Jan 6 movement be?  (Read 635 times)
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2024, 09:40:41 PM »

An interesting question I haven’t seen asked (but saw on Twitter) is, what what was the impact of 1/6 if Trump ends up being elected again.

Would it have helped him win again by not being cast as a loser?

Was it truly damaging, and Trump would need to win in spite of it?

Or would it mean the Biden administration and turned a weakness into a strength for Trump?

Big picture…will we see more post-election protest movements emerge following incredibly close elections?
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 09:45:39 PM »

Trump would win in spite of it. He is only winning due to Biden being at 39% and a worsening economy.

I would not be voting Trump if it weren’t for Biden.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 10:23:34 PM »

It would be an indictment of the short memory of the American public, as well as the state of our civics education since clearly not enough people understood the gravity of it.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 11:57:23 PM »

The equivalent of the Beer Hall Putsch
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 12:10:31 AM »

They blocked the Jt Commission
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 03:50:03 AM »

I think the entire legacy of western democracy will be rewritten. There has been a dominant idea that once you give people freedom and democracy they will never want to return to authoritarianism. That idea is being challenged pretty heavily these days and a Trump win would probably kill it for good.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 04:38:29 AM »

Nobody will care
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 04:46:20 AM »

I think the entire legacy of western democracy will be rewritten. There has been a dominant idea that once you give people freedom and democracy they will never want to return to authoritarianism. That idea is being challenged pretty heavily these days and a Trump win would probably kill it for good.

I think a lot of it depends on what happens next. If Trump manages to stay in power past 2028 or steals it for his successor, then yeah we can call American democracy dead. If a Democrat wins then democracy would have come out alive, though not without battle scars.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 08:13:06 AM »

If things get bad enough people will return to authoritarianism. While Trump would probably easily be restrained by Congress, the media, and intelligence agencies, the long term of Germany could concern me.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 08:46:46 AM »

If things get bad enough people will return to authoritarianism. While Trump would probably easily be restrained by Congress, the media, and intelligence agencies, the long term of Germany could concern me.
AFD is a problem in Germany, but they still "only" poll at around 20%, while Trump has roughly half of the US behind him. The US is in a far worse state when it comes to authoritarianism than Germany is.

Besides, I think you are being naive when it comes to Trump. Trump will install bootlickers at all the intelligence agencies and he will have a mostly MAGA house and while the senate won't be totally MAGA, the GOP will have the majority. The media is completely tame as the GOP has their own media bubble where critique of Trump is basically akin to treason.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 08:53:49 AM »

AFD is a problem in Germany, but they still "only" poll at around 20%, while Trump has roughly half of the US behind him. The US is in a far worse state when it comes to authoritarianism than Germany is.

Besides, I think you are being naive when it comes to Trump. Trump will install bootlickers at all the intelligence agencies and he will have a mostly MAGA house and while the senate won't be totally MAGA, the GOP will have the majority. The media is completely tame as the GOP has their own media bubble where critique of Trump is basically akin to treason.
We had a Trump first term already. He didn’t accomplish much besides tax cuts, a trade war, and some deregulation. There were no major wars.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 08:55:57 AM »

We had a Trump first term already. He didn’t accomplish much besides tax cuts, a trade war, and some deregulation. There were no major wars.
Which is why this time he'll get rid of all the "adults in the room" who prevented his insane ideas from happening last time around.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 09:12:32 AM »

It will be a footnote with no historical legacy either way.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 09:14:42 AM »

Indictments helped Trump without a Conviction, I remain optimistic, but the travesty is that all the insurrection gonna be pardoning
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 07:04:32 PM »

The legacy is that you can do anything as long as it was done long enough from the election to where Americans care less about it, or forget completely.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2024, 07:15:21 PM »

Even if the GOP narrowly hold the majority, it will likely be dysfunctional as always with the moderates and the freedom caucus hardliners grinding things to a halt.

The senate GOP caucus still has an institutionalist wing who will block the most radical ideas from Trump from getting done, basically folks like Murkowski and Collins.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 07:39:09 PM »

If Trump is elected, it would be an endorsement of political violence.

Insurrection would, from then on, be acceptable in the wake of political loss.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2024, 07:59:55 PM »

It will be widely celebrated by the media, government, educational system, etc. as the beginning of a new era in American history. In time I think it will replace July 4th as the primary American patriotic holiday.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2024, 08:06:46 PM »

It will mean the left and MSM will move on to some new scandal instead of continuing to try and turn it into Lib 9/11.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2024, 08:13:58 PM »

If Trump is elected, it would be an endorsement of political violence.

Insurrection would, from then on, be acceptable in the wake of political loss.

No it won't, because he hasn't stood Trial's , it just says that indictments without convictions helped TRUMP

All the Judges are Rs he appointed they are delaying the Trials until after EDAY
robocop
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2024, 08:20:17 AM »

They will be remembered as freedom fighters.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 11:14:54 AM »

J6 will be rewritten in history as some sort of patriotic event and Trump will pardon all of those convicted of crimes on that day. I wouldn't be surprised if it's made some sort of national holiday if the Republicans control all 3 branches of government.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 11:17:35 AM »

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 04:56:57 PM »

It would confirm that the whole Jan 6 scare was just another culture war topic that Extremely Online highly educated liberals (and thereby the legacy media) found to be extremely important, but that it was not a narrative swing voters ever thought was relevant or important. Swing voters care a lot more about the economy and the border crisis. On the former, the Democrats have the wrong messaging; on the latter, they have the wrong policy.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2024, 05:15:54 PM »

It would be incredibly funny if he forgets to or otherwise deigns to pardon them
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies