Where can I read the laws?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:34:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Where can I read the laws?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where can I read the laws?  (Read 440 times)
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2024, 10:56:58 PM »

Long-time thinker; first-time talker. (Seriously: I'm not even a citizen yet.)

There's a pinned thread in the Constitution and Law board discussing where all the Statutes of Law can be found. There is a government-hosted version of the U.S. Code. And the Introduction to Atlasia pin indeed contains links to the federal and regional Constitutions.

However, there is no easily-accessible list of all the active laws in place in Atlasia (as against IRL). The Atlas Fantasy Government forums do this work, even if they constitute a list of everything ever debated, ever. The regions do have their own legislative noticeboards (although I note that South is slacking a bit), but not even this exists for Atlasia. It would be nice - and probably an extended labour of love - to have available an "Atlasia Code," so to speak.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 12:33:24 AM »

I agree and underline this, it's very chaotic to have an overview of all the laws and it makes the game a bit less fun because it's so disorganized and hard to know what has been introduced and implemented and what not, hence why a legislative reset would make sense i think. As well as a soft reset on a number of other domains.

The wiki has some laws on it but some outdated and not being maintained anymore, the constitution can be found there and I also added criminal law there recently.

https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Criminal_Justice_Act

https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Fifth_Constitution_(single_page)

https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Federal_statute

I see there's a "statute section" though with regional laws it might be more chaotic, and this isn't updated since 2021.

the fact that many laws have meme titles also make it harder to look for specific laws or know what current law is on certain themes.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 08:08:43 AM »

You can find a list of laws up to a certain point on the wiki, but its quite outdated. Your only other option is to search for it in the government board unfortunately, or maybe someone who has been in the senate can recall them.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 09:10:13 AM »

You can find a list of laws up to a certain point on the wiki, but its quite outdated. Your only other option is to search for it in the government board unfortunately, or maybe someone who has been in the senate can recall them.

I doubt most of the senators can even do at this point. It's a whole mess.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 04:33:57 PM »

Working on a solution for this.
cherry mandarin
HL23

P
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 05:29:28 PM »

Awesome! Let me know if you’d like my help in any way Cheesy
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 12:26:18 AM »

Seconding whatever Pyro is doing, the Lincoln statute that we have pinned in the regional board is his work and I trust his expertise on gathering this stuff.

But even the wiki was not particularly reliable for this function in its heyday and the safest if most complicated route is still searching the AFG boards. (Though Laki I am sure will tell you it's full of such pitfalls as mistaking a House-passed bill for one that passed both houses and was signed.)

In particular, "against IRL" is one of the things that's hardest to collate because it encompasses basically everything we do.

Non-senators though, probably. Wink wink.

Yankee no longer posting has been a disaster in this regard.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 10:24:02 AM »

Seconding whatever Pyro is doing, the Lincoln statute that we have pinned in the regional board is his work and I trust his expertise on gathering this stuff.

But even the wiki was not particularly reliable for this function in its heyday and the safest if most complicated route is still searching the AFG boards. (Though Laki I am sure will tell you it's full of such pitfalls as mistaking a House-passed bill for one that passed both houses and was signed.)

In particular, "against IRL" is one of the things that's hardest to collate because it encompasses basically everything we do.

Definitely, the bicameral legislation might make early bills confusing on its current status, but also when you using the "search" option which is by its own isn't the most convenient system for looking up bills, you might not know what the latest version of a certain bill if it has been amended later again (or repealed etc), esp since some bills would mass repeal and not reference the actual text or title in the repeal bill.

And of course, a thread title might not be updated correctly, and it's still not certain if the president actually did sign a bill (or veto it instead).
cherry mandarin
HL23

P
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 11:22:40 AM »

Agreed—this game has plenty of room for improvement if it wants to become more accessible for newbies, rather than just an exclusive club of players who have been around for decades.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 11:28:06 AM »

Agreed—this game has plenty of room for improvement if it wants to become more accessible for newbies, rather than just an exclusive club of players who have been around for decades.

Well to be fair, a lot of problems on Atlas based on new users participating in the game is due to the lack of new users registering on the forum, like the rate of new users registering in 2016 was far higher than 2024, so it's not exclusively a game issue but a symptom of a larger forum-related issue.

Part of that is - what some have accused of killing the game - the discordification of the internet and rise of alternative social media, as compared to the old-fashioned forum style for political discussion groups.

Is it a bad evolution? Not necessarily. It would be similar to people in bars complaining in 2000 that people today use the internet to talk about politics. It's called progress or technological and societal evolution.
cherry mandarin
HL23

P
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 11:34:40 AM »

A lot of problems on Atlas are due to the lack of new users registering on the forum, so it's not exclusively a game issue but a symptom of a larger forum-related issue.

Part of that is the rise of alternative social media, as compared to the old-fashioned forum style for political discussion groups.

Yeah, but what I’m saying is that I wouldn’t be surprised—given the incomplete and outdated wiki, as well as all these arcane regulations that are virtually impossible for a newer player to even try to begin to decipher—if Atlasia specifically (not talking about the entire board in general) has a low retention rate, even among those players it does manage to attract.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 09:09:48 PM »

Definitely, the bicameral legislation might make early bills confusing on its current status, but also when you using the "search" option which is by its own isn't the most convenient system for looking up bills, you might not know what the latest version of a certain bill if it has been amended later again (or repealed etc), esp since some bills would mass repeal and not reference the actual text or title in the repeal bill.

And of course, a thread title might not be updated correctly, and it's still not certain if the president actually did sign a bill (or veto it instead).
As President I will post signing statements in both the legislation's thread and my office thread, keeping in line with practice I followed as Southern Governor.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 10:26:04 PM »

The bill number is always referenced in future emendations even if the title isn't.

But also, "we don't know if the president actually did sign (or veto) a bill" is not a thing. Presidents either sign and veto bills, or they don't. They either do it within a week of passage, or they don't, in which case the bill passes regardless of what they do. And the title and text of the bill is for sure always included in the presidential threads.

This is not a problem caused by the president or the Senate, it is a problem caused by people not being able to use the search function effectively.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies