Alaska RCV Repeal makes ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:32:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alaska RCV Repeal makes ballot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Alaska RCV Repeal makes ballot  (Read 2168 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2024, 12:32:13 AM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 12:33:54 AM »

It's apparently still pending whether or not this will be on the primary or general ballot. If it's on the primary ballot, it almost certainly is getting repealed to Dem turnout being abysmal.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 01:03:47 AM »

RIP Murkowski in 2028 then. Doubt she runs. Peltola probably survives this year and 2026 if Trump is President. Murkowski probably endorses her as a successor.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 01:05:08 AM »

RIP Alaska's moderate profile. Hopefully it goes nowhere.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 02:01:21 AM »

Idiocy. If i would decide - i would expand Alaska experience on all 50 states. American parties became a mockery of common sense of late, especially - Republican, which became comparable to our "United Russia" with Trump in Putin's place.. But - what else to expect: US politics degraded very much in 50+ years i observe and analyze it.. Simply - one more confirmation)))
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 02:31:35 AM »

Idiocy. If i would decide - i would expand Alaska experience on all 50 states. American parties became a mockery of common sense of late, especially - Republican, which became comparable to our "United Russia" with Trump in Putin's place.. But - what else to expect: US politics degraded very much in 50+ years i observe and analyze it.. Simply - one more confirmation)))
I prefer Maines method of RCV at least which has a traditional party primary but allows RCV for 3rd parties in the general. Alaska took the jungle primary system and caused a mess with it.
Birdish
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 03:00:11 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2024, 03:21:53 AM by Birdish »

It's apparently still pending whether or not this will be on the primary or general ballot. If it's on the primary ballot, it almost certainly is getting repealed to Dem turnout being abysmal.

The Republican primary is on March 4th. The Dem primary is on April 6th.

I imagine the primary date you're refrencing would be the state primary on August 20th. I don't think turnout would be lopsided since neither Trump nor Biden would be on the ballot.

Edit: In fact, neither senator nor governor are up for re-election this year. So the big ticket federal race would be Peltola.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 10:26:25 AM »

This is not "an unprecedented mobilization for electoral reform" and it is quite obvious that 907Honest has used ChatGPT to come up with that claim. The Committee for Ranked Choice Voting placed Question 1 on Maine's ballot in June 2018, although the effect of a yes vote would have been to sustain rather than repeal RCV.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 10:31:03 AM »

RIP Mary Peltola's political career.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 11:40:16 AM »

Who says this effort to repeal would actually succeed?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 02:47:06 PM »

Anything to reinforce our retarded American duopoly and force people to only vote for The System's sh!tty candidates. Democracy in action.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 03:45:08 PM »

RCV is a huge improvement over the previous system, especially in a state with a higher third party/independent vote share. If you want to repeal it, then at least switch to a runoff system.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2024, 04:04:45 PM »

RCV is a huge improvement over the previous system, especially in a state with a higher third party/independent vote share. If you want to repeal it, then at least switch to a runoff system.
They're too bitter about the Sarah Palin & Kelly Tshibaka losses for any type of repeal outside of what was the status quo.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2024, 04:59:25 PM »

I prefer Maines method of RCV at least which has a traditional party primary but allows RCV for 3rd parties in the general. Alaska took the jungle primary system and caused a mess with it.

I agree with you here and it's almost exactly what I was going to say. That would be the ideal system short of some form of proportional representation. Anything's better than top-two or the jungle primary though (where the dominant party can end up shut out of the general election). It does seem like Alaska's top-four system was designed to prevent such an occurrence.

I don't think Alaska's top-four RCV system is perfect by any means, but it's far better than what came before it. It needs to be tweaked a bit, not repealed. FPTP is awful in general, but especially in a state like Alaska. Considering how unique the Alaska Legislature is organized, I'm almost surprised there isn't a new party that could take hold (like the "Alaska Party" or something). If any faltering of the partisan duopoly happens, it will almost certainly start in Alaska (though one could say it already has begun in a small way).
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 05:39:30 PM »

That graphic is so cringe worthy. It's not "Rank Choice" it's "Ranked Choice". And I wouldn't assume Murkowski is finished without ranked choice. She can always run as an independent and Democrats can decline to run anyone in the Senate race if it appears she is a better guarantee to beat an extremists.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2024, 09:29:44 PM »

Take a look who you're replying to.

And then ask yourself if he's ever worth replying to.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 09:41:07 PM »

Alaska's system makes 0 sense and neither does RCV for single member seats. RCV proponents have decided to depoliticize voting system reform by making it about choice and heybothpartiesarecrooked because they think initiatives won't get passed otherwise.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2024, 10:42:37 PM »

It's an electoral system that helps moderates.
Basically what Founding Father wanted, I suppose.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 11:05:24 PM »

Alaska's system makes 0 sense and neither does RCV for single member seats. RCV proponents have decided to depoliticize voting system reform by making it about choice and heybothpartiesarecrooked because they think initiatives won't get passed otherwise.

Are they wrong in the logic?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2024, 11:14:25 PM »

Are they wrong in the logic?
I don't think it actually builds popular support for the system. Maine's advocates successfully framed RCV as an end to minority rule. I doubt Alaskans think of RCV in the same way and the top 4 primary seems like an unnecessarily confusing twist.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2024, 11:57:59 PM »

It's a dumb system but is still better than FPTP, especially in a state like Alaska with so many plurality victories.

and neither does RCV for single member seats.
Australia seems to do it fine.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 05:35:07 AM »

Watch Peltola still become a lifer
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2024, 09:42:45 AM »

How likely is this going to be approved? Did Peltola's and Murkowski's wins really trigger the right so much that they want to repeal RCV over that?
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2024, 10:12:25 AM »

This country can be so dumb sometimes...

Both left and right are currently controlled by retards looking exclusively for short term partisan victories.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 04:43:11 PM »

How likely is this going to be approved? Did Peltola's and Murkowski's wins really trigger the right so much that they want to repeal RCV over that?

It passed in 2020 50.55% - 49.45%, so take that as you will.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies