Has anybody seen any of these political documentaries from the 1990s?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:34:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Has anybody seen any of these political documentaries from the 1990s?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anybody seen any of these political documentaries from the 1990s?  (Read 343 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2024, 01:44:28 AM »
« edited: February 24, 2024, 02:15:00 AM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

I found a tape I recorded of the first film.
1.A Perfect Candidate, 1996 film about Oliver North's failed run for the U.S Senate in Virginia in 1994.

2.The Political Education of Maggie Lauterer. 1996 film. She ran for the U.S House in what was then a swing rural district in North Carolina in 1994, a district so swingy I think it hadn't reelected the incumbent since 1982. (I think the district was called 'the bloody 7th' or 'the bloody 8th.')

3.Taking on the Kennedys. This documentary also concerned a 1994 U.S House race when Patrick Kennedy ran for what was then an open district in Rhode Island. Over the course of the race, the documentary focuses on his unfortunate Republican opponent, Kevin Vigilante, who tries to run a respectable issues oriented campaign against the then 26 year old Kennedy who was clearly not even fit for student government yet alone the U.S House (he'd fit in Congress perfectly now), but we see the unfortunate Vigilante steadily melt down.

4.The War Room. Documenting especially the roll that James Carville played in Bill Clinton's 1992 election. This one is the best known and the most likely to get a response, I think.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 07:42:36 PM »

"The Political Education of Maggie Lauterer" was part of a PBS miniseries.  (It may have been called "Politics in America.")

The highlight was election night.  Her campaign manager pulled her aside early.  "Remember a couple of months ago when you met Speaker Foley?  We think he's gone."

Later, you see everyone in the room gasp as the election results come in on TV.  (The North Carolina delegation switched from 8-4 to 4-8.)  The biggest shock was reserved for David Price's defeat.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 07:15:59 PM »

The War Room was excellent.
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 09:12:33 PM »

Don't forget Spin.

Pages: [1]