California Dems don't vote for Katie Porter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:33:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Dems don't vote for Katie Porter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Dems don't vote for Katie Porter  (Read 796 times)
SilverStar
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2024, 06:31:30 AM »

Katie Porter isn't a real progressive but if she gets into the top 2 Democrats will spend a lot money on D vs D race which is going to hurt our chances to retain the Senate Majority.
Porter getting into the top 2=Win for Mitch McConnell.
Vote for Lee or Schiff.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 01:41:29 PM »

Katie Porter isn't a real progressive but if she gets into the top 2 Democrats will spend a lot money on D vs D race which is going to hurt our chances to retain the Senate Majority.
Porter getting into the top 2=Win for Mitch McConnell.
Vote for Lee or Schiff.

How does voting for Lee help?  If Dems want to assure that Schiff is the only Dem in the run-off, they should probably vote for Garvey.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 04:59:53 PM »

Too late. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 05:04:27 PM »

The chance of having a real progressive (yes, she is, and if you disagree you're a clown) with a track record of holding corporate ghouls to account serving in the Senate for the next 30+ years is absolutely worth diverting a bit more money. Also a D vs D Senate race will depress Republican turnout and help Dems downballot too.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 05:32:52 PM »

I'd much rather have a senator who has some idea for how to improve our country that go beyond "Trump is scary stop him at all costs"

Schiff offers nothing of substance.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 06:08:19 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2024, 06:16:13 PM by Oryxslayer »

I'm not going to comment on the message, but on the purpose. This is a political forum. Everyone has their opinions and likely already has made up their vote. It's the derivative consequences and actions flowing from that vote which are more fluid. You'll have more success knocking doors than arguing here or on social media, if you want to flip votes.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 06:10:17 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2024, 06:14:11 PM by Arizona Iced Tea »

I'm more astonished that California Democrats are given a once in several decades opportunity to select someone as progressive as they want for that seat, and they pick Adam Schiff? It's a shame Feinstein stayed in office so long and denied Lee her chance of being Senator. If I lived in California I would have honestly voted for her in the jungle, over even Garvey, mainly because of her anti-war stances and being against the Patriot Act.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 06:16:01 PM »

I'm more astonished that California Democrats are given a once in several decades opportunity to select someone as progressive as they want for that seat, and they pick Adam Schiff?

1. This CA Dems we're talking about, outside of a few college towns and Barbara Lee's district, calling these guys progressive is a stretch.

2. It's not "once in several decades" anymore, it's literally any election now until the GOP get their act together.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 06:22:54 PM »

I'm more astonished that California Democrats are given a once in several decades opportunity to select someone as progressive as they want for that seat, and they pick Adam Schiff?

1. This CA Dems we're talking about, outside of a few college towns and Barbara Lee's district, calling these guys progressive is a stretch.

2. It's not "once in several decades" anymore, it's literally any election now until the GOP get their act together.

Adam Schiff is 63, Alex Padilla is 50. It's going to be a long, long, wait until another open seat arises in California.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 08:37:23 PM »

I’m returning to Cali as we speak, and even though I will not be voting, I will be instructing my boyfriend to vote for Katie Porter. Barbara Lee dropped the ball and faced an incredibly hostile climate. At this point, a vote for her is a vote for Schiff :/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 09:37:22 PM »

I don't like Porter but at least she isn't a cartoon villain like Schiff.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 02:24:47 PM »

Adam Schiff is 63, Alex Padilla is 50. It's going to be a long, long, wait until another open seat arises in California.

64 is really quite old for a freshman Senator.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 02:32:42 PM »

64 is really quite old for a freshman Senator.

It is, but he could still easily have at least two terms left in him, if not three or even four.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 02:34:55 PM »

No. California Republicans have been going further right since Proposition 187 and most of who is left in the party here are extremists. They created nasty rumors about their Assembly leader for not being conservative enough to the point he switched to Independent and that was just a couple of years ago. If anything they are content with being in the minority here as long as the party is conservative.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 05:25:26 PM »

The chance of having a real progressive (yes, she is, and if you disagree you're a clown) with a track record of holding corporate ghouls to account serving in the Senate for the next 30+ years is absolutely worth diverting a bit more money. Also a D vs D Senate race will depress Republican turnout and help Dems downballot too.
This logic only really applies in a midterm year. Republicans are gonna turn out to vote for Trump regardless of the senate race's outcome look at 2016. The Harris vs Sanchez race had no effect on turnout statewide. Anyway im proud to have voted for Lee, though if Porter makes the runoff against Schiff ill vote for her.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2024, 03:12:26 PM »

No. California Republicans have been going further right since Proposition 187 and most of who is left in the party here are extremists. They created nasty rumors about their Assembly leader for not being conservative enough to the point he switched to Independent and that was just a couple of years ago. If anything they are content with being in the minority here as long as the party is conservative.

Exactly my point.

The top-two system as is pretty much ensures California is likely going to look like Democrat v. Democrat for quite some time, meaning progressives have room to leverage out and toss out the incumbent, consierably moreso than if the GOP were actually a threat.

Garvey may well be the last chance for a Republican to get the second spot.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 12:52:27 AM »

Early voted for Barbara Lee but strongly considered Porter. Will vote for Schiff if he is against Garvey or Porter if she makes the run off.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2024, 12:23:05 PM »

Schiff is near 25 percent the others near 15
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: