Could Democrats win a 2024 Trump +30 House Seat in 2026?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:46:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Democrats win a 2024 Trump +30 House Seat in 2026?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Democrats win a 2024 Trump +30 House Seat in 2026?  (Read 527 times)
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2024, 08:32:23 PM »

Based on fundamentals and polling, 2024 seems to be tracking at around Trump +5. 2026 fundamentals seem to be about D +15. This gives about a 20 point shift, and Democrats might get lucky in a set that's more than Trump +20.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 08:48:16 PM »

Probably not, but who knows.
JoeyJoeJoe
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 09:12:43 PM »

Based on fundamentals and polling, 2024 seems to be tracking at around Trump +5. 2026 fundamentals seem to be about D +15. This gives about a 20 point shift, and Democrats might get lucky in a set that's more than Trump +20.

Easily, they just need to switch to the GOP before then
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 10:32:25 PM »

Sure, if you just start making up numbers.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 10:59:56 PM »

How do we have any indication of what 2026 fundamentals will be?  I agree that they'll likely favor whichever party loses the presidential election, but I'd imagine we're way too polarized for either party to win a popular vote by fifteen points.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 11:01:25 PM »

How do we have any indication of what 2026 fundamentals will be?  I agree that they'll likely favor whichever party loses the presidential election, but I'd imagine we're way too polarized for either party to win a popular vote by fifteen points.
2018 was D +8.6, and the economy is likely to be much worse than 2018. Republicans have lost a lot of high propensity voters since then as well (trading them for low propensity voters).
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 01:50:56 AM »

Democrats will win the 2027 SC 3 special election
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 03:34:19 AM »

The previous office-holder would have to be implicated in a major scandal, and occur in a special election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 04:59:10 AM »

Lol these are polls not results and Biden will win
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 11:12:35 AM »

2018 was D +8.6, and the economy is likely to be much worse than 2018. Republicans have lost a lot of high propensity voters since then as well (trading them for low propensity voters).
Why would the economy be much worst in 2026? The economy is doing gang busters right now. It'll probably slow down but come on
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 12:56:36 PM »

Why would the economy be much worst in 2026? The economy is doing gang busters right now. It'll probably slow down but come on
Highly underwater CRE loans mature, causing a lot of banks to go under. A lot of companies have to refinance debt at higher interest rates, which they can't, so they go bankrupt.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 01:02:30 PM »

Highly underwater CRE loans mature, causing a lot of banks to go under. A lot of companies have to refinance debt at higher interest rates, which they can't, so they go bankrupt.
Of course I have no idea what the future has in store, things can always get worst. But this reminds me when folks on atlas predicted a recession back in 2019. We currently have the best economy in 30 years
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 01:31:33 PM »

Of course I have no idea what the future has in store, things can always get worst. But this reminds me when folks on atlas predicted a recession back in 2019. We currently have the best economy in 30 years
Most people think the current state of the economy is bad and getting worse. The best economy in the last 30 years was 1999.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 01:42:28 PM »

Most people think the current state of the economy is bad and getting worse. The best economy in the last 30 years was 1999.
Public perception of the eocnomy is bad, no doubt. Inflation hurts

But we have high growth and low unemployment, at levels not seen since the late 90s
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 01:45:21 PM »

But we have high growth and low unemployment, at levels not seen since the late 90s
I could easily get high growth and low unemployment by paying people to dig ditches and fill them back up through deficit spending. The key is living standards, which have been declining and getting worse.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 02:42:09 PM »

I could easily get high growth and low unemployment by paying people to dig ditches and fill them back up through deficit spending. The key is living standards, which have been declining and getting worse.
Than we need more government intervention. We have a shortage of affordable housing, so the government needs to do a massive home building program like after WW2. We need to pass more pro union laws, like the PRO Act. We need to pass the public option to lower healthcare. We need to pass paid leave, universal pre-k and childcare. And finally, we need continue to subsidize American manufacturing
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2024, 06:08:39 PM »

I can see Democrats been favoured in the House until 2032 (when the 2030 cencus kicks in) and the Senate until 2036 (Tester is not up in another Presidential year until 2036 and the GOP needs his seat to offset future loses).

But if Trump wins by 5 I don't think Democrats would do any better than 2018 in the House, but will take the Senate, since the GOP is currently unlikely to do well in senate races this year.

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 06:24:31 PM »

I can see Democrats been favoured in the House until 2032 (when the 2030 cencus kicks in) and the Senate until 2036 (Tester is not up in another Presidential year until 2036 and the GOP needs his seat to offset future loses).

But if Trump wins by 5 I don't think Democrats would do any better than 2018 in the House, but will take the Senate, since the GOP is currently unlikely to do well in senate races this year.

If Democrats get a trifecta at any time during those years, they have a serious opportunity to make some significant changes. With Manchin and Sinema gone, they will either eliminate or suspend the filibuster to pass the Freedom to Vote Act (establishing redistricting standards for the entire country) and admit DC as a state (possibly Puerto Rico as well).
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 12:53:31 PM »

If Democrats get a trifecta at any time during those years, they have a serious opportunity to make some significant changes. With Manchin and Sinema gone, they will either eliminate or suspend the filibuster to pass the Freedom to Vote Act (establishing redistricting standards for the entire country) and admit DC as a state (possibly Puerto Rico as well).

Things will start to work against Democrats for the Presidency as we approach the end of the decade, due to generational change, the declining population share of college graduates, and the Electoral College gap, heck they already are in trouble since 2016.

It's a reversal of the previous familiar pattern of R's doing well in Midterms but doing badly in Presidential years, that was the standard in 1992-2018.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 01:18:26 PM »

The upper bound of a flippable seat is probably something that the current president won by mid to high teens.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2024, 01:48:33 PM »

Highly, highly improbable in our current political era. The most recent example of a Democrat winning a House seat that Republican in a midterm environment was Collin Peterson in 2018, and he was a long-serving incumbent from before his district trended significantly Republican with views that did not align with the national party (and we all know what happened to him two years later).
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 01:55:21 PM »

The upper bound of a flippable seat is probably something that the current president won by mid to high teens.

Yeah the reddest seat I could possibly see flipping is CO-04, and only if Boebert is still around.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2024, 02:44:53 PM »

If they already had the incumbency (ie initially winning in special election) I would say it's possible. Collin Peterson did survive 2018 after all. However, barring an abysmal R candidate that makes Majewski look like an electoral titan, it's not happening in an open seat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies