Which Southern states are most "culturally Southern?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:33:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which Southern states are most "culturally Southern?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Alabama

Arkansas

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

Louisiana

Mississippi

North Carolina

Oklahoma

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Virginia

West Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which Southern states are most "culturally Southern?"  (Read 910 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2024, 02:06:41 PM »

IN, IA, OH ARE PART OF RED WALL

Remove IA, add MD and DE. Otherwise good map.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2024, 08:43:26 AM »

From an outside perspective (though I did live in Ohio for one year!), Sol's comment about Georgia tracks with how I feel about Illinois when it comes to this. By virtue of being the de facto capital region, Chicago feels deeply Midwestern, but being the capital also ends up making it so different that it doesn't feel like the quintessential Midwestern city. And by virtue of Chicagoland dominating Illinois so much, it makes it hard for me to consider Illinois to be the quintessential Midwestern state.

I lean towards Wisconsin because it feels like it has everything - it has the lake, it has a lot of agriculture, it has the postindustrial city, it has the classic Big Ten school, the progressive and consevative traditions seem equally matched, etc.

I don't think there's a strong enough Northeastern regional identity for there to be one quintessential state - all the NE corridor metro areas feel way too antagonistic towards each other. New York comes closest to fitting the bill because it has a bit of everything, but it also falls into the Georgia/Illinois problem of being too dominated by the 'capital' but even more so since NYC is NYC.

I guess my bias as an Illinoisan shows here, but I always thought of Iowa, Illinois and (to a lesser extent) as more default "Lower Midwestern," while Wisconsin and Minnesota have a more distinct "Upper Midwestern" feel to them that is unique among all Midwest states.  That is the only reason I don't think of them as the ultimate stereotype.

However, I will say this ... if you were a part of the original Big Ten states (IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, OH, WI), you are 110% Midwestern in my book.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2024, 07:22:22 PM »

If you go to S Illinois, Carbondale, Iowa, Indiana and Ohio they all have a Southern accent
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2024, 11:46:56 AM »

The Midwest:

Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are the states that are most unequivocally Midwestern. The only good counterargument I can think of would be something along the lines of "Minnesota is too Canadian," or something like that.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2024, 01:02:28 PM »

The Midwest:

Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are the states that are most unequivocally Midwestern. The only good counterargument I can think of would be something along the lines of "Minnesota is too Canadian," or something like that.

I guess I understand the Chicago angle, but man I just find leaving Illinois out difficult.  When I imagine the most quintessentially Midwestern area in the whole region - for better and for worse! - I imagine the Quad Cities in its entirety across both Iowa and Illinois.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2024, 04:30:08 PM »

I guess I understand the Chicago angle, but man I just find leaving Illinois out difficult.  When I imagine the most quintessentially Midwestern area in the whole region - for better and for worse! - I imagine the Quad Cities in its entirety across both Iowa and Illinois.

Chicago is obviously Midwestern. The only reason my map shows Illinois just slightly less Midwestern than IA/MN/WI is southern Illinois.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies