Is the Mississippi River a meaningful east/west marker?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:27:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is the Mississippi River a meaningful east/west marker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the Mississippi River a meaningful east/west marker?  (Read 828 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2024, 07:11:04 PM »

In the past, distinctions were often made between states east and west of the Mississippi River.  According to Wikipedia, the Eastern United States refers to all 26 states located entirely east of the Mississippi (the Northeast, East North Central, South Atlantic and East South Central states).

Today W and K call signs are probably the most visible marker of this distinction.

The Mississippi line does distinguish the industrial/Great Lakes Midwest from the Farm Belt and Great Plains, as well as the core of the South from the more westerly southern states that deviate from the "norm" (i.e. Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma).

To what extent is this distinction meaningful?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 07:26:23 PM »

It's not nearly as meaningful as either the 100th Parallel or I-35/29 Corridor.  While either of those two options puts the bulk of the US population in the East, it's a lot more meaningful.  Population maps show it clearly, with Eastern rural areas actually being somewhat built up, while Western rural areas are downright unpopulated.  Geographically, it would also be the much more stark transition point on a cross-country roadtrip, as humid and lush Eastern landscapes suddenly give way to dry Western ones.

Long story short, if we're going to divide the country into two (East-West), the MIMAL states are clearly Eastern, and the stack from North Dakota to Texas are in a transition zone.  Houston and Omaha are in the East (South and Midwest, respectively), but Amarillo are Scottsbluff are in the West.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 09:15:24 PM »

It was important in 1976 election when strong East/West divide but nowadays less so.  Only divide I guess is population density as most states west of Mississippi have population densities below what US is while most of east of it are above.  And more populated rural areas don't tend to be as big a blowouts as more sparsely populated ones.  But at same time many of the more urbanized states in West have metro areas easily outvote rural while East of it, only ones with very large metro areas like Illinois and New York can, not large but not gigantic like Michigan, Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania can.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 06:51:17 PM »

The Missouri River is a better east/west diving line. Or the 100th meridian.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 08:09:09 PM »

It actually divides my city, so no.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 08:15:23 PM »

No, it's clearly still in the East.  Weather and vegetation is still clearly determined by large scale storms and how far north/south you are, not by which mountain/valley/desert/mesa you are on. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 08:23:29 PM »

The west can be the western 13 states and the center can be the 11 states in between there and the Mississippi, including LA and MN.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 10:03:22 PM »

It's not nearly as meaningful as either the 100th Parallel or I-35/29 Corridor.  While either of those two options puts the bulk of the US population in the East, it's a lot more meaningful.  Population maps show it clearly, with Eastern rural areas actually being somewhat built up, while Western rural areas are downright unpopulated.  Geographically, it would also be the much more stark transition point on a cross-country roadtrip, as humid and lush Eastern landscapes suddenly give way to dry Western ones.

Long story short, if we're going to divide the country into two (East-West), the MIMAL states are clearly Eastern, and the stack from North Dakota to Texas are in a transition zone.  Houston and Omaha are in the East (South and Midwest, respectively), but Amarillo are Scottsbluff are in the West.
The I-35 Corridor is perfect east/west divide
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 12:19:28 AM »

The I-35 Corridor is perfect east/west divide
So....where does that place southeast Minneapolis and western St. Paul?

And Owatonna is east and Albert Lea is west?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 09:14:12 AM »

I would prefer the Rockies, even though it put the majority of population to the east, which is inevitable anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 11:48:19 AM »

Red = East
Blue = West
Green = Parts of both
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 12:33:49 PM »

Aren’t Omaha/Lincoln more connected to the corn belt?
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 12:56:06 PM »

It was in the pre Civil War years
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 09:17:42 PM »

Do you really think Omaha is West and Council Bluffs is East?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 09:32:37 PM »

Do you really think Omaha is West and Council Bluffs is East?
Gives me that vibe. Much like how Bismarck is East and Mandan is West.

Remember that "Gateway to the West" is Omaha's city motto.
SInNYC

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2024, 01:17:30 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2024, 06:22:03 PM by SInNYC »

Remember that "Gateway to the West" is Omaha's city motto.

But if you're going by mottos, dont forget that many have said that St. Paul is the last eastern city and Mpls is the first western city (yeah, the river doesnt exactly split the two). Although I dont like that dividing line, it kind of makes sense since St Paul has its share of twisty hilly streets but Mpls doesnt really.

Personally, I like going by the Mississippi-Missouri border though you have to break up states. West of that is range land, east of it is farmland (kind of).

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 09:20:17 PM »

I've always viewed MIMAL and the states to its east as "eastern," and those to its west as "western."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies