Amazon, SpaceX, Trader Joes, etc argue NLRB is 'unconstitutional'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:05:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Amazon, SpaceX, Trader Joes, etc argue NLRB is 'unconstitutional'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Amazon, SpaceX, Trader Joes, etc argue NLRB is 'unconstitutional'  (Read 465 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2024, 05:59:03 PM »

Amazon argues that national labor board is unconstitutional, joining SpaceX and Trader Joe’s

Absolutely horrific, I suppose since they can't make any factual arguments to win their workers over when they're actually offered a fair chance at a union so they'd rather just get rid of the process entirely? The NLRB is already fairly toothless, unions will be dead in America without even the meager enforcement of labor law that they can offer.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 06:00:57 PM »

It’s funny cause the NLRB was made to protect businesses… see what happens when it’s gone
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 06:06:24 PM »

Good luck. Outside of the 5th Circuit & maybe Thomas, there isn't really an unironic appetite among legal conservatives to outright eliminate agencies wholesale like the NLRB, SEC, Social Security Administration, etc., so much as a desire to significantly reform them to conservatives' benefit by removing any & all of the political protections that insulate them from the control of GOP Presidents (e.g., ruling in Seila Law & Collins v. Yellen that removing some agency heads only for-cause is unconstitutional; more broadly, see also: Trump & now Project 2025's Schedule F, which literally stands for "Failed State" because of course modern conservatives don't already see themselves enough in the status-quo as persecuted victims forced to cheat to take Ws home), who are interested in maximally deregulating across the entire bureaucracy in order to actively provide support for the legality of their associated industries' (e.g., Wall St. finance) otherwise illegal activities with the full backing of the law by virtue of the federal government's stamp of approval. Perhaps SCOTUS' curiosity is piqued enough by the separate Starbucks cert. petition to quibble with some minor aspects of the NLRA like their unique test for preliminary injunctions to find them unconstitutional, but the overall act is clearly constitutional under Rehnquist's view of Congress' interstate commerce powers to regulate even intrastate businesses that substantially affect interstate commerce.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 06:10:27 PM »

Great. So they will be just fine if unionized workers across the United States refuse to deal with Amazon, SpaceX, Trader Joes, etc in any way, right? Starting with no deliveries from the teamsters union.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 07:33:59 PM »

It's crazy how almost 100 years later we have less progressive policy than the New Deal era because the billionaire class has so thoroughly won the propaganda war and people take all their labor rights for granted like they always existed and people didn't have to fight, vote, and even die for them.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 07:37:57 PM »

It’s funny cause the NLRB was made to protect businesses… see what happens when it’s gone

Are you advocating for a insurrection? If we gonna LARP i will defend my local Amazon warehouse.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 07:56:02 PM »

Don't know the specifics of this case, but the more the NLRB keeps its nose out of Amazon's business, the better. Amazon unions have made really unreasonable demands.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 08:23:19 PM »

These CEOs watch "Matewan" and think the coal companies are the good guys.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 10:07:33 PM »

Are you advocating for a insurrection? If we gonna LARP i will defend my local Amazon warehouse.

The fact that you're cheering workers having less rights doesn't say anything positive about you.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 10:08:24 PM »

Literally what lmao.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 11:23:08 PM »

Based
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 11:26:12 PM »

Literally what lmao.

Explain how the NLRB "protects" buisnesses except from the outrages of a mob.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 11:35:59 PM »

You really do not know what insurrection means. You all have been trying to find a way to project it on to others but have failed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 03:45:20 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2024, 03:48:29 AM by Badger »

Literally what lmao.

Explain how the NLRB "protects" buisnesses except from the outrages of a mob.

Still an ugly look, not that you perceive it.

Also, LOL at the tough guy pose. If things got real to picket line,  you have no idea how bad things would probably wind up for you. What a quintessentially Suburban yellow Avatar chest pounding response.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 06:44:20 AM »

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1968/11/6/dismantling-nlrb-pbibf-you-think-the/

Found this article from the Crimson in 1968 when conservatives also had this idea.

I don't think he was saying that? The nrlb is just a tribunal that brings both sides together, rather than the alternative of having labour and management at each other's throats and constantly escalating. The easy solution for thr nrlb is just for conservatives to stack its board with management friendly patsies.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 07:54:07 AM »

Good luck. Outside of the 5th Circuit & maybe Thomas, there isn't really an unironic appetite among legal conservatives to outright eliminate agencies wholesale like the NLRB, SEC, Social Security Administration, etc., so much as a desire to significantly reform them to conservatives' benefit by removing any & all of the political protections that insulate them from the control of GOP Presidents (e.g., ruling in Seila Law & Collins v. Yellen that removing some agency heads only for-cause is unconstitutional; more broadly, see also: Trump & now Project 2025's Schedule F, which literally stands for "Failed State" because of course modern conservatives don't already see themselves enough in the status-quo as persecuted victims forced to cheat to take Ws home), who are interested in maximally deregulating across the entire bureaucracy in order to actively provide support for the legality of their associated industries' (e.g., Wall St. finance) otherwise illegal activities with the full backing of the law by virtue of the federal government's stamp of approval. Perhaps SCOTUS' curiosity is piqued enough by the separate Starbucks cert. petition to quibble with some minor aspects of the NLRA like their unique test for preliminary injunctions to find them unconstitutional, but the overall act is clearly constitutional under Rehnquist's view of Congress' interstate commerce powers to regulate even intrastate businesses that substantially affect interstate commerce.

Yeah, not seeing this on the table (or any New Deal era stuff really) after Seila Law.  Even Alito didn't go after CFPB in it's entirety.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies